The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
ColinStein
Foot Soldier

Activision lost the rights to publish TMNT games

As the story goes, it seems that several Activision licensed games have been pulled from digital stores, including both TMNT games they published: Out of the Shadows and Mutants in Manhattan. Neither of the games I liked, enjoyed, or finished. Different websites and sources are assuming it's because it's the new year and they let the licenses go.

So Who would you like to make new TMNT games? I remember the rumor of Rocksteady working on one and that would be cool.

Source-ish
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/4/1417...n-tmnt-removed

(And if this is already a thread somewhere else, DAMN IT! I looked and missed it. Sorry.)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

bummer, haven't gotten the last game yet.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

That's too bad.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Activision also lost the rights to the SpiderMan games, Which make sense since Insomniac Games has a new Spider-Man gaming coming out this year.

I would love to see Insomniac Games do a TMNT game.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinStein View Post
So Who would you like to make new TMNT games? I remember the rumor of Rocksteady working on one
That would never happen.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That would never happen.
I would like to see Insomniac Games do it, They have a great track record, and they are releasing the new SpiderMan game this year.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Speaking of rights, no one has botched this story worse than Game Rant, who is apparently under the impression that the TMNT is owned by Marvel:
https://gamerant.com/activision-spid...urtle-digital/

Quote:
Anyone who wanted to buy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan or either of the two The Amazing Spider-Man games will find themselves disappointed as Activision has been removing these titles from the digital shelves over the last few days, most likely due to licensing issues with trademark holder Marvel
Quote:
So far Activision has remained silent as to the why of it all, though speculation points toward a licensing issue with Marvel, the owner of both franchises.
Quote:
Why Marvel keeps demanding these recalls is somewhat uncertain, though in the case of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan it could very well be that many considered it to be one of the worst games of 2016. In fact, it seems to be common for Marvel video games too be rather less than expected. Though there are many possible reasons for this, a clue may lie in an interview given by TQ Jefferson, Marvel’s VP of games production, back around the time the comic-book publisher ended their partnership with Sega.
Quote:
Having Activision pull their titles from Steam and the like every time a game bombs seems to be a counter-productive strategy, though, as all it does is once again draw attention to games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan, which most seem to had forgotten about except for a short entry in the annual hall of shame articles. Though Marvel may think that out of sight is out of mind, they could also find that gamers have long memories.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Whoever it is I hope they give platinum another chance in making a TMNT game
Old 01-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Got my fingers crossed for Capcom to make a new TMNT 2D fighter!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And I doubt anybody "lost" their license. Probably they got the license for X # of years, months, and 1/1/2017 was the end date, with the option for Activision to pay X number of dollars to renew it for another year. They didn't, because nobody bought "Out of the Shadows" or "Mutants in Manhattan." Nobody just gets a license for something forever.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT is probably only going to have mobile phone games for the forseeable future. With the Nick cartoon ending in the next few years and these games aimed at older fans like in the OP failing, they're not going to bother making anything else.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
ColinStein
Foot Soldier

Quote:
That would never happen.
Yea... We'll probably never get a game with as much respect the Arkham series got.

I think another WayForward TMNT game could be cool. Something that wasn't limited to a super young audience. Maybe something in the vein of Double Dragon Neon.

What kind of game would be best for TMNT? They did that Smash Bros clone awhile ago from Ubisoft. There's been fighting games, beat 'em ups, side scrollers. I think beat 'em ups has always been the best games. Maybe an open world?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
What kind of game would be best for TMNT?
If not an open sandbox game, I'd like to see a return to the style of the very first NES game. You know, an overworld, different styles of adventuring/action as things go on (maybe the default being something like the most recent Ninja Gaiden games). Anything, anything but another lame button-mashing Final Fight clone like the last 50 TMNT games have been.

But then, TMNT games don't really sell. So we'll probably get Final Fight clone #51 next time around. Cheap, quick, easy to throw out there.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
I think another WayForward TMNT game could be cool. Something that wasn't limited to a super young audience. Maybe something in the vein of Double Dragon Neon.
Wayforward has made some amazing games, none of them being their TMNT titles. I'm assuming we got one of their C-teams or something, 'cause I expect wayyyyy better from them. I'd definitely be open to one developed by different people within the company.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

How about a TMNT game done by Telltale? Maybe set in the IDW universe.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

No. TellTale games aren't real games.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
ColinStein
Foot Soldier

Quote:
If not an open sandbox game, I'd like to see a return to the style of the very first NES game. You know, an overworld, different styles of adventuring/action as things go on (maybe the default being something like the most recent Ninja Gaiden games). Anything, anything but another lame button-mashing Final Fight clone like the last 50 TMNT games have been.
I like that. Or like Mario 3? I felt like Mutants in Manhattan almost did an open world... but in a weird way. Wasn't it open world, then wait for a "mission" then that "mission" unlocks the level, then goes back to this weird semi-open world if there were still levels in that environment-area-ish to play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wayforward has made some amazing games, none of them being their TMNT titles. I'm assuming we got one of their C-teams or something, 'cause I expect wayyyyy better from them. I'd definitely be open to one developed by different people within the company.
Yea, they made one TMNT game. I think I Redboxed it out of curiosity? My friend and I actually had a good time playing the Batman: The Brave and The Bold game they made. But those are side scrollers, I think I'm sticking to my vote for a Double Dragon Neon re-skinned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TellTale makes stories, not games. I guess if choose your own adventure counts as a game...?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Yea, they made one TMNT game. I think I Redboxed it out of curiosity? My friend and I actually had a good time playing the Batman: The Brave and The Bold game they made. But those are side scrollers, I think I'm sticking to my vote for a Double Dragon Neon re-skinned.
2, actually. They did a plug & play sorta thing for the 4kids series.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
An evolved version of one of the oldest video game genres in existance is not a real game now?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
An evolved version of one of the oldest video game genres in existance is not a real game now?
Yeah, Point and Click Adventures are real games too, they are interactive.

Tags
activision, video games