The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Help me with my Layouts!

This is kind of a strange idea for a thread, but as a fan-artist I often hit mental roadblocks in the layout process. Once I get that stage figured out, my art tends to progress much quicker. So, I figured I'd make a thread where I (or anyone else who might want to use it) could turn to the fan art community for advice and ideas.

Here's my first piece: a full page scene based on the "Turtle Tracks" episode were Shredder watches April O'Neil's report on the mysterious ninja crime wave. He then instructs some thugs (including pre-mutated Bebop and Rocksteady) to "silence her."

Currently, I've got three drafts:

Option 1

Shredder (probably in silhouette and partly covered by his cape) orders the thugs out.
Focus is on the thugs in the foreground. Shredder is obscured in secrecy. April's broadcast provides a bit of light in the darkness.

Option 2

Upper torso of Shredder (possibly in partial silhouette) standing and striking a menacing pose (not quite satisfied with that I had). Background will be pretty much all black with the TV screens of April's broadcast being the only light. Thugs' heads can be see in the front, but they aren't the focus.

Option 3

Shredder chillax-es in his chair just like the episode. He's got his computer panel and April's broadcast on the monitors. Perhaps I can also draw some thugs taking orders?

Anyhoo, this isn't so much a "pick your favorite one" contest as much as it is just me trying to get ideas and advice on what might look good.

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, here is an example of the April broadcast that will be appearing on the monitors:
Spoiler:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

I think the first one could work well, but you really need the shading to look good because there is a lot of empty space to fill.

I really like the second one tho. its more dynamic and has a good sense of balance. My money's on that one

Nice job on the april one too. The scientist in the back looks like he just walked off a Gary Larson comic. I like.

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
I really like the second one tho. its more dynamic and has a good sense of balance. My money's on that one
Your feedback is helpful, Shreddhead, do you have any ideas on how I could improve Shredder's "menacing pose" in the 2nd Option?

View my sketch work!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
BentonGrey
Hench Mutant

Hmm, an interesting set of ideas. I think the first one could be really neat, but it would seem to need a bit more, as there is quite a bit of empty space. I think the second one is the way to go. You can try the classic villain pose, right hand lifted up to the sky, left pointing at his minions, or vice-versa. I definitely think that having the Shredder shilouetted by the light from the monitors would be cool.
BentonGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentonGrey View Post
Hmm, an interesting set of ideas. I think the first one could be really neat, but it would seem to need a bit more, as there is quite a bit of empty space. I think the second one is the way to go. You can try the classic villain pose, right hand lifted up to the sky, left pointing at his minions, or vice-versa. I definitely think that having the Shredder shilouetted by the light from the monitors would be cool.
Thanks for the extra feedback!

I'm definitely learning towards the 2nd option, and I like your point about the Shredder arm pose. Maybe I can find some reference material for that.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
BentonGrey
Hench Mutant

Cool. This is SOMEWHAT similar to what I was talking about, but without the pointing hand.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...tic_Forces.jpg
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

Here's what I settled on:

I experimented with the rear light effect. Not sure if I should shade the hair on the punks. I kinda like how their bright hair colorings pop off the page.

I added the word bubble late in the project, but if you think it's a little too much I can remove it.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
BentonGrey
Hench Mutant

Ohh, I love that! That's fantastic. I really like seeing all of the punk gang. I like your previous piece being 'windowed' like that. I think you really nailed the Shredder's pose. He looks pretty awesome, but I think you should expand/widen his side on the right. I think it's cutting in too much under his arm, making him seem too thin. Also, his eyes could be enlarged slightly. They're just a tiny bit too small.

I really love the way you've captured the Shredder, but half of me would like to see him mostly shaded out, where you can only see his outline in the backlighting. At the same time, you've done such a great job that I feel like that might be a waste.

I think your shading on the punks is spot on. I wouldn't mess with that. I might darken the chair, though. It makes sense that the monitors would be lit up, but the chair would be darker where it is sitting, not being as much in their glare as Shredder is.

I love it man. Great work!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Okay, Benton, I've made a few changes:

1. I know what you mean about Shredder's torso. I exaggerated his upper chest a bit, which makes his waist look super skinny. I think some revised shading helps fix that a little bit.

2. Good call on the chair; I've made some changes, but I'm not sure what parts of the chair should get the shading.

3. I've tightened the coloring a bit; hopefully it makes the whole piece look cleaner. I also changed the color of Shredder's pants to get rid of that purple-ish tint.

4. I'll try to do the eyes later. I did something similar for April's nose in the previous pic, so it shouldn't be too much trouble. [EDIT: fixed 'em!] I don't know if I have the skill to do anything more drastic with the shading at this point. Somebody else would probably have to help me out on that.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
BentonGrey
Hench Mutant

Nope, I think you covered it pretty darn well my friend. That looks great. The chair looks right, Shredder's pants are the right color (I didn't even notice that earlier!), and it looks cleaner. Very nice!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

April meets the TMNT

This thread has been helpful to me thus far. I welcome anybody else who wants to use this thread to get feedback on their own layouts to go ahead and post their stuff as well. I'd be happy to return the favors.

Alright, here's another one of my WIP ideas inspired by the Turtle Tracks episode: April formally meets Splinter & the TMNT for the first time.

Option 1:

Very messy. I was gonna put the focus on the mutants, and suggest a very surprised look on April's face that the audience can't see. I even pondered putting an "origin story" in bubbles at the top, but I decided to use that idea for another piece (possibly).

Option 2:

I'm leaning more towards this one as an homage to this screenshot:
Spoiler:

I'm not yet sure about the placement and arrangement of the Turtles; (don't know if it's a good idea to have one of the turtle's back turned toward the audience in an important scene like this one). I drew the whole thing a little too low on the page, so I'd definitely do that differently. Not sure about the background in my piece either. I went with the more familiar Sewer Lair living room.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior

The first one for sure...

This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
The first one for sure...
I can always be swayed back to my original piece! Can you give me some more detailed feedback as to why you like it and how I might could make it better?

I think I did a better job with the turtles' distinct personalities in that top piece. And I think it might give me more space to focus on the TMNT and Splinter than in the bottom piece.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior

That picture tells the origin of the turtles in one picture.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
That picture tells the origin of the turtles in one picture.
Yeah, I know that was a cool idea I had, but I'm thinking that origin story might be too much to cram into one picture. I might give the origin story it's own piece, unless I can simplify it a bit to give myself more space to work. Perhaps I could go with 3 Origin bubbles instead of 4?

View my sketch work!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior

Not a bad Idea.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
BentonGrey
Hench Mutant

Well, I hate to disagree with the Transformer, but I really like the second one. It immediately felt...I don't know...like a slice out of their meeting. I love the homage to the 'toon scene, and I say, in terms of setting and blocking, don't be afraid to follow that one's lead more, if you want. I like the idea of the Turtle's poses telling you something about who they are.

I agree with our other commenter, it is really cool how you managed to tell the origin in a single panel. I think your layouts were really a clever way to convey that. However, if you feel up to doing that in its own piece, it would certainly give you more room to play with those designs.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentonGrey View Post
Well, I hate to disagree with the Transformer, but I really like the second one. It immediately felt...I don't know...like a slice out of their meeting. I love the homage to the 'toon scene, and I say, in terms of setting and blocking, don't be afraid to follow that one's lead more, if you want. I like the idea of the Turtle's poses telling you something about who they are.

I agree with our other commenter, it is really cool how you managed to tell the origin in a single panel. I think your layouts were really a clever way to convey that. However, if you feel up to doing that in its own piece, it would certainly give you more room to play with those designs.
Hmm... decisions, decisions...

View my sketch work!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The Result II

Thanks for all the helpful input!

It was a tough call, but here's what I went with:

It's not finished yet. I've still got some details to add and clean up.

Any suggestions on coloring? I'm not convinced what colors those pillows should be yet that April & Splinter are using.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-18-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Time for a Pizza Break?

Okay, here's my next project. After being introduced to Splinter, April heads back up to the city streets with the Turtles to find some clues. The turtles, however, get quickly distracted by a pizza parlor! April will go snooping on her own... right into a trap!

Most of these options have to do with getting the best angle. Other important questions include whether or not to include some Foot Soldiers lurking in the alleys.

Option 1

I think this one is probably the most comical. April is the only one who cares about a Foot Solider obviously stealing a computer device.

Option 2

Option 3

Inspired by a page in the "How it All Began" coloring book, I'm afraid this scene too strongly mirrors another piece I've done that occurs immediately after this one in the sequence.

Option 4

I decided to give the Turtles their trenchcoats and fedoras in this one. Not sure if I'll use the costumes or not, however.

View my sketch work!

Tags
fan art