The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (a Pike show)

Yes. Infuriating.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...234607259/amp/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

So basically TOS season 0? Season -1? Season -X?

TOS season 4 starts to seem more and more likey, doesn't it?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So basically TOS season 0? Season -1? Season -X?

TOS season 4 starts to seem more and more likey, doesn't it?
This will bear no resemblance to TOS or anything remotely of quality.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Sadly this franchise is clearly dead and needs to go on a long hiatus. It’s unfortunate but it’s much needed.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm somewhere between indifferent and mildly pissed off.

Sigh.

With as much of a letdown as Picard was, I still wish they'd stick to moving the ball FVCKING FORWARD.

Prequels. Gawd.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Of all the things in the CBS All Acess Trek I actually like, Anson Mount as Pike is it. I might give this a chance, but as stated, my hopes aren't high given Picard.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

STD season 1 and 2 and STP, it's the same writers. Anson Mount is great as Pike... but do you know who is great as Jean Luc Picard? Patrick Stewart. Yet STP is horrific.

A big vote of absolute no confidence from me.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

True, to a point. Anson Mount was good as Pike as written in Star Trek Discovery. Sadly as great as Patrick Stewart is he couldn't Elevate Picard in Star Trek Picard.

on side note I just saw an article that said that the new Pike series will be more optimistic and episodic, in other words, more like regular Star Trek.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:41 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Complete with mandatory explosions, people screaming at one another, and tech they shouldn't have yet, like the 100s of starfighters and R2D2 units the Enterprise had in the last STD finale. And nonsense like "time crystals."

When fans will complain, they will say the usual "well what did you think this was supposed to look like?? A 1960s show? LOL!"

Two things. 1) Nobody has a gun at their head forcing them to make more prequels set in the TOS era. 2) Enterprise and DS9 made it a point to honor that era in their dipping into it the two times they did... so it CAN be done, they can't say it can't.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sadly, it has entered production. Also they've announced the cast:

https://deadline.com/2021/03/star-tr...ns-1234713092/

Not surprisingly, no sign of a white male... which must mean no Dr. Boyce, the only character other than Number One we got to meet from the crew in "The Cage."
Old 03-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sadly, it has entered production. Also they've announced the cast:

https://deadline.com/2021/03/star-tr...ns-1234713092/

Not surprisingly, no sign of a white male... which must mean no Dr. Boyce, the only character other than Number One we got to meet from the crew in "The Cage."
Huh. I mean, I'll be fine without Doctor Boyce. I get where you're coming from on that, though. But I doubt we never see him.

Also, I'm betting we see a recast Captain Kirk (or Commander Kirk, or whatever) in Season 2. Probably not Season 1, though... they'll try to do their own thing like Discovery did the first season.

Then... RATINGS BOOST WITH ORIGINAL SERIES RECAST, ZOMG
Old 03-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Huh. I mean, I'll be fine without Doctor Boyce. I get where you're coming from on that, though. But I doubt we never see him.
Assuming this will take place after Pike's appearances in STD season 2, this is long after "The Cage" so... Dr. Boyce would have had to have been on the ship, then leave, then come back? Seems unlikely. And c'mon... there wasn't like a ton of characters they needed to dust off from "The Cage"... there was 3, including Pike himself. Boyce was one of them.

That blond woman in the cast kind of looks like a female version of the actor that played him. Suspicious...

Quote:
Also, I'm betting we see a recast Captain Kirk (or Commander Kirk, or whatever) in Season 2. Probably not Season 1, though... they'll try to do their own thing like Discovery did the first season.

Then... RATINGS BOOST WITH ORIGINAL SERIES RECAST, ZOMG
For sure. Lieutenant Kirk will show up toting around his boyfriend or something. Such bravery!
Old 03-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
Galactus
Foot Elite

We know very little about this but from what little we do know it looks the most 'traditional' Trek that we've had in a long time. If nothing else that Enterprise bridge looked exactly what a modern take the original Enterprise interiors should look like.

The only thing I dislike about it is that if we're going to have another series set in the TOS era I'd much prefer it to be set after Kirk's 5 year mission. I want to see the Gorn, the Tholians, the Guardian of Forever which we can't see in this series unless the start pulling a Star Trek: Enterprise and keep encountering alien races they shouldn't just don't have the crew catch their names.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
We know very little about this but from what little we do know it looks the most 'traditional' Trek that we've had in a long time. If nothing else that Enterprise bridge looked exactly what a modern take the original Enterprise interiors should look like.
We already saw what a modern take on the original Enterprise interiors should look like on season 4 of "Enterprise."

STD's take is apocryphal. And apparently only done for legal reasons wherein Kurtzman and company can get residuals on likeness rights. Not legal as in Kurtzman is being forced to, but apparently legal in the sense that if he makes things 25% different, now down the line he gets his $0.02 if they're reused (which, as showrunner of everything Trek, he gets to do).

Quote:
The only thing I dislike about it is that if we're going to have another series set in the TOS era I'd much prefer it to be set after Kirk's 5 year mission.
The only thing I dislike about it is that it's the third show from the exact same people that outright hate Trek, hate Trek fans, and otherwise don't understand Trek. There is absolutely no reason in the world to suspect they've suddenly learned from their mistakes, or that they've suddenly done an about face and now they understand Trek. They've completed four seasons of "Trek" and by all accounts they actually have been doubling down on all of the things they've been doing wrong, not getting one bit better. Guaranteed it's going to be more angry identity politics, explosions, screaming, and phasering people to death... oh, but now they're visiting a new planet every episode, so it's all better.

Oh, and that's yet another prequel in what is now a long and seemingly unending series of prequels. I don't care what Pike was up to between "The Cage" and TOS. I'd say go beyond even STP, but they might as well explore the period between VOY and STP better, since STP told us exactly Zero about what happened in between anywhere in the galaxy. Like, for all we know, the Dominion took over the Klingon Empire and Cardassia retook DS9. We have no idea. STP was 10 hours entirely wasted on saying goodbye to an android we'd already said goodbye to in the last movie almost 20 years ago and Picard letting go of a white privilege we never saw him once exude on TNG.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-12-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #15
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
We already saw what a modern take on the original Enterprise interiors should look like on season 4 of "Enterprise."
You know what I mean. Recreating the 60s sets is fine for a cute anniversary episode but if you're going to set a series on a 23rd century Constitution Class ship in 2021 then you're going have to straddle the line between something that looks retro while looking modern. The Abrams-verse movies were okay but a bit too sleek and modern. The Enterprise bridge we saw in Discovery I think looks just right. I hope it's what we see in Strange New Worlds.

Quote:
STD's take is apocryphal. And apparently only done for legal reasons wherein Kurtzman and company can get residuals on likeness rights.
Indeed but even if that wasn't the case no one would expect them to use the wobbly sixties sets. This isn't without precedent in the franchise. For years the line from everyone involved in making the show was that the Enterprise we saw in The Motion Picture is supposed to be what the TV version looked like. You just have to imagine it that way.

Quote:
The only thing I dislike about it is that it's the third show from the exact same people that outright hate Trek, hate Trek fans, and otherwise don't understand Trek. There is absolutely no reason in the world to suspect they've suddenly learned from their mistakes, or that they've suddenly done an about face and now they understand Trek. They've completed four seasons of "Trek" and by all accounts they actually have been doubling down on all of the things they've been doing wrong.
Well it wouldn't be the first time Star Trek has been written by people who hate it. Brannon Braga was certainly no fan of the franchise when he signed on to write for it. Gene Roddenberry didn't want The Next Generation to be TOS-like so hired writers which were not fans of the franchise. Some writers like Ron Moore felt they had to play down that they were Trek fans.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the current writers hate Trek. They have a different interpretation of it than most fans that grew up in the 80-90s era of Trek. I also wonder just how much different their vision of Trek is when you factor in they were told to do something different. Who knows what their work would be like if they specifically aimed for something more traditional.

Quote:
Oh, and that's yet another prequel in what is now a long and seemingly unending series of prequels. I don't care what Pike was up to between "The Cage" and TOS. I'd say go beyond even STP, but they might as well explore the period between VOY and STP better, since STP told us exactly Zero about what happened in between anywhere in the galaxy. Like, for all we know, the Dominion took over the Klingon Empire and Cardassia retook DS9. We have no idea. STP was 10 hours entirely wasted on saying goodbye to an android we'd already said goodbye to in the last movie almost 20 years ago and Picard letting go of a white privilege we never saw him once exude on TNG.
All stuff I agree with but while it's not what I wanted I'll give it a shot as something which so far has been closest to what I'd want ie: a ship going off to explore and the main character is the Captain.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-12-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
You know what I mean. Recreating the 60s sets is fine for a cute anniversary episode but if you're going to set a series on a 23rd century Constitution Class ship in 2021 then you're going have to straddle the line between something that looks retro while looking modern. The Abrams-verse movies were okay but a bit too sleek and modern. The Enterprise bridge we saw in Discovery I think looks just right. I hope it's what we see in Strange New Worlds.

Indeed but even if that wasn't the case no one would expect them to use the wobbly sixties sets.
Nobody held a gun at their head and made them do yet another prequel, particularly another one set in the Pike/Kirk era. As such, we know very well what the Enterprise looks like from that era. We saw it in the 60s in TOS, we saw it in the 90s on TNG and DS9, and we saw it on ENT in the 2000s. It's not the same ship as on STD/SNW.

Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as to say the current writers hate Trek. They have a different interpretation of it than most fans that grew up in the 80-90s era of Trek. I also wonder just how much different their vision of Trek is
What exactly do you figure they love about Trek?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-12-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

How many different Star Trek shows are there already?

I've been meaning to rewatch the original and The Next Generation on Netflix lately since I have find memories of watching their reruns on cable TV back in 2003-2005 with my family. But is there other Star Trek stuff that I've missed out and should check sometime?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

I've been meaning to rewatch the original and The Next Generation on Netflix lately since I have find memories of watching their reruns on cable TV back in 2003-2005 with my family. But is there other Star Trek stuff that I've missed out and should check sometime?
TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT. TAS, if you're so inclined, too, though it's a little bit of and chore to get through for me. So 6 shows in all plus the movies. I personally enjoyed rewatching ENT first and then restarting TOS, during my most recent rewatchings.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #19
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
...For years the line from everyone involved in making the show was that the Enterprise we saw in The Motion Picture is supposed to be what the TV version looked like. You just have to imagine it that way...
Really? I seem to remember The Motion Picture makes it pretty clear that it's an extensively new ship, probably only the same vessel from TOS in the sense that it's the same structural framework underneath. It has been in dock for two and a half years, and there's lots of lines like (probably paraphrasing) "This is an almost totally new Enterprise! You don't know her a tenth as well as I do!" Two and a half years, and still being worked on throughout the movie.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

TOS, TNG and DS9 are the only three shows that are considered "required viewing" by most fans.

Voyager is a bit hit or miss and Enterprise is only really good in its last two seasons. So I'd recommend looking up a "best episode of each season" list for those two shows rather than watching it all.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote