The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #421
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Also, C3P0 was said to appear, but it must have been a blink and you will miss it cameo. Where was he in the film?
It was never said that 3P0 would appear... but rather Anthony Daniels would. And he did. He was the guy calling out "This way!" during the slave revolt on Kessel.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #422
sdp
-

I never expected this movie to be too bad, just unnecessary like Rogue One. So more of a "Why?" when there's so much potential for spin-offs in the Star Wars movies than these stories that can be told better in a comic or novel, heck even a tv show.

I likely won't watch it until it's on Netflix or the like, Ep. IX is likely the last SW movie I'll watch in theaters unless future movies really hype me up with the trailers.

As far as:
Spoiler:
Darth Maul I think they're wasting him here instead of having him be an actual threat or whatever in a different movie. Same with Vader in Rogue One, he deserved his own spin-off doing bad-ass stuff instead of shoehorning him in to make this story that no one wanted to see have more of an "umph".

Still it's cool to see Maul in a movie again, so I guess I"ll take what I can get. I liked Vader in RO too, it's just the circumstances of them wasting away potential that angers me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why do people ignore the cartoons? If he's alive in that he would still be alive here. He later meets his end in Rebels.
The average fan that goes to the movies isn't going to watch a show aimed at kids.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #423
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The average fan that goes to the movies isn't going to watch a show aimed at kids.
The shows are aimed at adults. I didn't watch any of the Star Wars cartoons when they originally aired either, I watched them all for the first time this February and I watched all 100+ episodes of Clone Wars in the span of about a week on 1.5x times speed. I also then watched all of the episodes of Rebels right after that in about 4 days on 1.5x times speed.

So I just caught up on the cartoons which are nearly 200 eps in total in about a week and a half. God bless the 1.5x time speed option.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #424
sdp
-

The shows are not aimed at adults, they're aimed at kids. Adults may enjoy them and they can be entertaining for adults but that's about it. Don't confuse the two.

The average person doesn't give a sh-t about 100+ episodes of Clone Wars and 100 of Rebels to get caught up before watching a sh-tty spin-off movie. By that logic you also have to read all the adult novels, the children picture books, video games, countless comic books from the new canon since they're all in continuity with the movies as well.

Expecting people to watch all this "Expanded Universe" material as if it were required reading is just dumb.

I mean I love when EU stuff gets into main canons and if they have big roles in it, don't get me wrong. I loved seeing all the EU stuff in the Special Editions of Star Wars and EU references all over the Prequel Trilogy.I would've loved to have seen more EU stuff in the movies but I did not expect the movies to be heavy continuity wise with all these novels and comics.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #425
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't know that simply having Darth Maul in there is forcing people to watch Clone Wars or Rebels.

We see the metal legs. We can put it together.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #426
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't know that simply having Darth Maul in there is forcing people to watch Clone Wars or Rebels.

We see the metal legs. We can put it together.
I'm not saying that, mostly arguing that it's stupid to think people will actually watch 200 episodes to know what is "canon".

I do expect people to think this means Maul will be in another movie and not that they're just referencing that Clone Wars is canon. I already saw someone type "they hinted that a new movie with Maul". Which it might also be true but not necessarily especially if he dies in Rebels.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #427
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Just got back from seeing it. I wasn't planning on seeing it, but I picked my buddy up from the airport and he wanted to see it, so we went to a local theatre... which was about 30 percent full. In Toronto. Yikes.

I just didn't care about this movie. It "answered" a bunch of "questions" that no one really asked. I was bored throughout the whole thing.

And MAN... I couldn't be the only one who noticed how bad the lighting was. Everything was either flat or backlit, so the whole movie was like watching silhouettes. Easily the ugliest looking Star Wars movie to date, and that's including the sterile, plasticy landscapes of the prequels.

All in all, it's a movie that really has no reason to exist.

I hope Kathleen Kennedy gets the boot sooner than later.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 AM   #428
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I do expect people to think this means Maul will be in another movie and not that they're just referencing that Clone Wars is canon.
Yeah, that's a little bit puzzling. I mean, you just know it's there to make fans go "Whoaaa!!! WTF??!" without any bigger plan. I doubt we'll ever see a "Solo 2" and they already killed him off in "Rebels" (which is such a strange, bizarre place to do it). He can't even be a player in the Favreau trilogy since we know that's post-RotJ.

Maybe some kind of general "Underworld" kind of movie set around/shortly after the same time? Maybe even featuring the Alden Han Solo in some reduced capacity?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #429
raph27
Mad Scientist

Saw it yesterday. Much better than my expectations.

I liked L3, I'd been waiting for SW to delve into the robot/human rights stuff for a while so that was nice to see. Really thought all the new characters were interesting, much better fleshed out than Rogue One's side characters.

Personally, I thought Alden did a pretty good job as Han. I've been hearing a lot of people saying he didn't feel right. Not for me, he fit the bill nicely. Donald Glover was alright as Lando, I just wish he had more screentime.

Only complaints:
Spoiler:
I cringed at the scene where Han gets his last name. Too ham-fisted.

I got Maul spoiled before I saw the movie, so I assumed he would be a large part of the third act. Sort of disappointing to just see him as a cameo, unless that's supposed to be sequel setup?

This also might be sequel setup, but I wished Qi'Ra's story would have been wrapped up instead of left hanging.

Han winning the Falcon back at the end just seemed a little rushed to me. Maybe it would be different on a second viewing, I don't know. I think the whole movie could have gone a little longer to wrap the end up. I did like the very last scene, struck the right balance of tying into ANH somewhat but not too much.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #430
Vegita-San
Emperor

so, my father treated me this time. didn't give disney my money.

to be honest...IF I Had to rank the disney movies... Solo is the most rewatchable. TFA comes second. R1 third. The Last Jedi dead last.

there are some things i will never understand about disney wars. Why must ALL the women be british that sound like Rey clones?

Spoiler:
the goofy reveal of enfes nyst or whatever it's name was was just goofy...
you could see plot twists a mile a way even if you where not spoiled.
L3 was just plain bizzare. 20 years ago, a droids rights character might have been fun. in SJW land, it's just another form of preaching.
Called it. Love interest defeats the big bad. han basically does nothing. His big hero moment is a joke call back.
The Sabbac cards where just flat paper. in the novels i envisioned them to be little pads, so they can randomly change during the game. they got the shifter cheater right. they got the randomizer at the top of the table right, but not the cards.
The Pan sexual stuff was insanely stupid. evidence by the line 'how would that even work?' you could feel the awkwardness when lando went back to rescue l3.

Nice to see whitwer as a live action darth maul. probably the most interesting part of the movie. probably went right over most of the audiences head...mostly older people.
We got to see a live action Maw Cluster finally. and it's positioned right next to kessel where it is supposed to be.
The lead villain wasn't bad. he actually felt like he was acting, unlike the R1 guy.

All in all, I'd give it a C-. a VERY basic heist movie. Take the Star wars Elements out of it, and the score goes even lower as it's even less memorable. of course, all the women got to be 'bad asses'. Han didn't do much from anything except save chewbacca and uncouple a few train cars.

I also do not understand WHY disney feels the need to populate the star wars universe with all NEW, mostly forgettable, aliens. Not ONE of them sticks out compared to the classics. At least we saw one or two classic R2 units this time.

Disney needs to re think it's star wars strategy. if 9 under performs, I wonder if KK will finally be on the chopping block.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #431
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like it is crashing and burning. At current trajectory it is set to be about a 150 million loss unless it has serious legs and doesn't see a significant drop next weekend.

Adios, Kathleen Kennedy.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #432
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is all this an echo chamber over at Youtuve against Kathleen Kennedy and fanboy rage or is it a real thing? I am disappointed in the things I was looking forward to (Rey's parents reveal, Darth Plagueis reveal, Luke Skywalker) being shoved aside myself, but I am trying to have an open mind here.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #433
sdp
-

Well George entrusted Kathleen Keneddy, maybe they can't get rid of her that easily. It's odd how she's painted as the villain, for many years she was praised in the Jurassic Park fandom but man it really does seem like once she had power she put her agenda first.

As far as forgettable characters, can anyone really name anyone from Rogue One? Or some of the new characters in Episode 8? I sure can't. I loved that sarcastic Robot from Rogue One but I don't even remember what he looked like, let alone his name.

I doubt IX will underperform, it might not do as much as the 7/8, I'm sure it'll do a lot of money, it's the end of the trilogy, I want to see it even if I hate it since I love Star Wars and want to see how this sequel trilogy ends.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #434
sdp
-

I keep seeing that this is the worst performing Star Wars movie but are people forgetting Clone Wars? It's a canon movie that came out in theaters. Even if you try to argue that it's just 4 episodes stitched together, it was never released in that way or counted as part of the episode number of the show.

Another CG Star Wars movie is actually a great idea, it'd help break the monotony of a new movie every year, I actually wouldn't have minded a Han Solo CG movie, hell Ford could've even done the voice acting if thrown enough money. I do know that because Clone Wars bombed they scrapped any other similar projects.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #435
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I am disappointed in the things I was looking forward to (Rey's parents reveal, Darth Plagueis reveal, Luke Skywalker) being shoved aside myself, but I am trying to have an open mind here.
Nobody wanted Rey's parents to be Obi-wan or Luke or whatever, that's boring fanfiction-tier pandering. The only people disappointed by that are people who wanted even MORE cliche storylines like Rey being the long lost daughter or granddaughter of Obi-wan or Luke or whoever.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #436
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
What would a bomb for a SW movie even look like from a box office perspective? Even if this has a $200 million budget it's probably breaking even from box office returns alone based on the SW name. That's forgetting about all the tie-in merchandise revenue it will generate as well.
Damn I was way wrong about this assuming it doesn't have legs over the next few weeks which doesn't seem likely.

I'm curious what Lucasfilm changes going forward based on this.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #437
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nobody wanted Rey's parents to be Obi-wan or Luke or whatever, that's boring fanfiction-tier pandering. The only people disappointed by that are people who wanted even MORE cliche storylines like Rey being the long lost daughter or granddaughter of Obi-wan or Luke or whoever.
Nobody? By nobody you mean Cubed. I wanted her to Luke's daughter as I wanted Snoke to be Plagueis. Did everyone? No. Did some? yes.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #438
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Nobody? By nobody you mean Cubed. I wanted her to Luke's daughter as I wanted Snoke to be Plagueis. Did everyone? No. Did some? yes.
Why would you want that? What does Rey being Luke's daughter accomplish? It's literally the most boring predictable and cliche outcome.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #439
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
I'm very happy with what they did but I'd say the majority of fans wanted Rey to be related to someone known (Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Palpatine).
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:59 AM   #440
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I'm very happy with what they did but I'd say the majority of fans wanted Rey to be related to someone known (Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Palpatine).
Yeah I'm one of the people who would have liked there to be something more to her parents but I guess they wanted her to 'just be', I would have found Palpatine's bloodline interesting.
I did momentarily wonder a long time ago if she was the secret daughter of Leia and Han but there's no reason she'd be a secret....and then we'd have the brother and sister thing again. (even though they are on opposite sides here)

Anyway, wrong thread for this
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autismawareness, cubedwannacracker, cuck solo, snake the true fan, snake vs tfa, snake vs the world, solo a sjw story