The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #81
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That book is not worth that price. I don't care how limited it is. This is just collector's bait.
*DING DING DING DING* We have a winner!
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #82
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That book is not worth that price. I don't care how limited it is. This is just collector's bait.
To be fair, "worth" is entirely subjective. All collectibles are just paper, or plastic, or whatever. None of it is really worth anything.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #83
nelodiavolo
Thug
 
nelodiavolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
I'm pretty sure its worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Its not just for a book. Original art is included as well. Call it whatever you want, but at least they are making something for the fans. Judging by the quick sellouts, it seems to be a hit.

As for myself....I may pick up a red label.
nelodiavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #84
actionnate
Thug
 
actionnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
I may also pick up a Red label ... I will admit the only 10 made on the blue label made me want to jump at it.... but by the time I heard about this it already sold out.... the only reason I haven't bought the Red label yet is because i am wondering if they are going to do Volume 2 or not if so might just wait because I already have a copy of volume 1
actionnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #85
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior
 
TMNTChris1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 536
Yeah, the way I look at it is it's about as much as a commission so why not?
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #86
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That book is not worth that price. I don't care how limited it is. This is just collector's bait.
I'm glad that somebody said it, after all the positive outpouring I was nervous I might be the only one that felt that way.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #87
frank_one
Hench Mutant
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZerro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
That book is not worth that price. I don't care how limited it is. This is just collector's bait.
I'm glad that somebody said it, after all the positive outpouring I was nervous I might be the only one that felt that way.
Why does it hurt you? I'm not a collector either and I'm not going to pick this stuff up, but I know there are fans willing to have it and I'm glad to see IDW publishing all these variant covers and limited editions for them.
And yes, this is just "collector's bait" and sure, these books "are not worth that price" since if you are not a collector you'll be unlikely to buy all them and, like someone already said here, the meaning of "worth" sometimes is all about how much one is willing to pay. And this is a fact: all those variant covers have given us the chance to see a lot of new TMNT artworks, including the ones by our beloved Kevin Eastman.
As long as we are not forced to buy what we are not interested in we can just say Thank you to IDW to releasing all this stuff!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #88
natecm
Hench Mutant
 
natecm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 350
Fun day over here, doing inventory on the Dan Duncan artwork. He knocked it out of the park.

These are the Red Label sketchs. Good variety of poses throughout too!

Spoiler:
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #89
dkram230
Stone Warrior
 
dkram230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by natecm View Post
Fun day over here, doing inventory on the Dan Duncan artwork. He knocked it out of the park.

These are the Red Label sketchs. Good variety of poses throughout too!

Spoiler:
The sketches look FANTASTIC! I can't wait to get mine

Thanks Nate. You're awesome!
dkram230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #90
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,583
Really nice, the perspectives on Raph & Leo are far too cool!
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #91
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Why does it hurt you? I'm not a collector either and I'm not going to pick this stuff up, but I know there are fans willing to have it and I'm glad to see IDW publishing all these variant covers and limited editions for them.
And yes, this is just "collector's bait" and sure, these books "are not worth that price" since if you are not a collector you'll be unlikely to buy all them and, like someone already said here, the meaning of "worth" sometimes is all about how much one is willing to pay. And this is a fact: all those variant covers have given us the chance to see a lot of new TMNT artworks, including the ones by our beloved Kevin Eastman.
As long as we are not forced to buy what we are not interested in we can just say Thank you to IDW to releasing all this stuff!
I'm not sure when I said it hurt me. I just think that it is collector bait, and I felt like I might be the only who felt that way. I was glad to see it wasn't just me. Fact is I am a firm believer that the comic boom that happened a few years ago won't ever be repeated. Since the days when a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 first sold for thousand and thousands of dollars comics have become something that people collect with the hope that they will be in possession of the next Amazing Fantasy #15 come 2047. Unfortunately this has people buying a lot more comics and thus comics are now printed in far greater quantities. Which means that they have to come up with a way to still make it enticing to collector's to go out and buy comic books that is where rare variant covers come into play. Unfortunately that means that collectors are now shaping the industry and they have to play these little games in order to still entice them to buy.

I'll cite your argument that it has allowed a lot of great artwork to come to light. What good is great artwork if you have to be one of a chosen few to actually see it. Wouldn't it be better if the only cover to each turtle book was the Kevin Eastman print. Then anyone who bought it casual or collector would be exposed to it. Also in an effort to actually make money on these variant covers Comic Shops end up charging more for them upfront which seems odd considering the fact that I am holding it in my hands new on day one and having to pay more than the cover price.

I'm sorry that I don't necessarily agree with this practice, but I'm not upset about it, I don't demonize those that are willing and able to spend the money in order to own these treasure. However, where I do take offense is that I always believed that comic books were meant to be read and more and more I see people just buying them to buy them and not read them. When there are people who are buying two copies of these sets one not to read, that upsets me, because that is one less that will be sold to someone who might have actually been buying it not just to have it but to read it. At that point I'd prefer they just sell the original artwork without the book that I can justify the price on because that is something truly unique and not just a reprinted book with a different cover and a foil star.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #92
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by natecm View Post
Fun day over here, doing inventory on the Dan Duncan artwork. He knocked it out of the park.

These are the Red Label sketchs. Good variety of poses throughout too!

Spoiler:
That raph sketch looks familiar. not so unique Duncan, you sly fox you. They look great though.

As for the collector's bait comment. While I'm tempted to get a copy... I don't feel it has enough additional material... not enough incentive for me to pick it up. I personally think that if the blue label was so pricey... the cover shouldve been unique from the other two. Not only would it attract more collectors.... it'll be worth every penny if there were only ten blue label books ever printed with this unique cover. Add a little rarity and prestige. Would've been cool and I would've picked one up. If the only thing that sets these books apart is the bookmark and the sketch that came with it... then I don't think it's worth it. Plus.. not really a fan of reused covers

Still cool though.

Last edited by Lampy; 10-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #93
actionnate
Thug
 
actionnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampy View Post
That raph sketch looks familiar. not so unique Duncan, you sly fox you. They look great though.

As for the collector's bait comment. While I'm tempted to get a copy... I don't feel it has enough additional material... not enough incentive for me to pick it up. I personally think that if the blue label was so pricey... the cover shouldve been unique from the other two. Not only would it attract more collectors.... it'll be worth every penny if there were only ten blue label books ever printed with this unique cover. Add a little rarity and prestige. Would've been cool and I would've picked one up. If the only thing that sets these books apart is the bookmark and the sketch that came with it... then I don't think it's worth it. Plus.. not really a fan of reused covers

Still cool though.
I'll put it this way.... if I didn't have a list a mile long of 1988 TMNT figures and vehicles I'd jump on it.... If I had not just bought VOL 1 hardcover at a CON I'd jump on it.... if I wasn't a few issues away from a complete mirage run ... I'd jump on it.... but for now seems low on the totum pole
actionnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #94
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
same here... I wouldve preferred unique covers. All im saying.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #95
actionnate
Thug
 
actionnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampy View Post
same here... I wouldve preferred unique covers. All im saying.
agree 100%
actionnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #96
frank_one
Hench Mutant
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 490
@FoxZerro
I can see what you are talking about and I agree. A collector-based system totally sucks, this shouldn't just happen. Comics should be more about good stories and drawings than just collectible objects, I'm 100% with you on this. But you know what, we live in this weird world and this is just a part of it. I try to be positive and take the good part of the deal while I ignore the rest.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better if the only cover to each turtle book was the Kevin Eastman print.
I would prefer it to be the more common one so I would be able to easily find one sometimes but at least I can see Eastman's artwork on my screen. I can own one cover only (well, actually I COULD buy all the variant covers but I'm not interested in buying the same issue more than once just because of the different cover) but I can appreciate all of them and if I really like a cover that I wasn't able to find I can get it printed by a local shop, why not?
However, there's something that I'm not liking about IDW's variant covers: there are too many of them! I think this could somehow harm the "identity" of the single issue. Usually the variants are made for special issues on special occasions, having them for ALL the issues could bring to some kind of identity crisis.. This is my only complaint, my only.. worry.
For all the rest I'm with you FoxZerro, you are not alone. I'm just trying to remain positive and take only the good part.

Last edited by frank_one; 10-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #97
nelodiavolo
Thug
 
nelodiavolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
Were the Blue and Black labels limited to just one per person? It would make sense to put a limit so more fans could get a crack at it.

I do have to say that the red label art looks fantastic! The red really stands out.
nelodiavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #98
natecm
Hench Mutant
 
natecm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelodiavolo View Post
Were the Blue and Black labels limited to just one per person? It would make sense to put a limit so more fans could get a crack at it.

I do have to say that the red label art looks fantastic! The red really stands out.
We didn't limit black or blue at launch, but probably will going forward.

Thankfully, no one ordered more than 2 this round, and I think 2 is fair. But we've got some stuff in the pipeline that's probably going to be limited to one per person. There's a FIVE copy (non-tmnt)blue label coming out soon!

I'd hate to have one person snap up every copy in an attempt to control the market.

The red's are so awesome. Dan did a huge number of poses for each turtle too, so it's not just one sketch a bunch of times. I'll probably post a few more angles when I get back into the office Monday. The Mikey cityscape is one of my favorites. I posted it on facebook, if not on here.
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #99
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,900
WOW...I am so happy I stopped collecting tmnt comics when the IDW run started. I'd be LOSING MY MIND, since as a completionist, I'd have to have one of each of these (no matter the "realities" if they are "really" different from each other). Fortunately, I'm content with digital material regarding this run and can put my time and resources into original art. Because between this and all those variant covers for the regular run...sheesh.

It was honestly hard enough to get all versions from the original run (printings, appearances, etc.) Getting a Gold Turtlemania, one of a ten print run, took a collecting lifetime to achieve and finally completed my run. But now print runs of 10 seem like they might be the norm. I have no idea how you all can stomach this. I mean, its one thing to chase after an error cover printing or something non-intentional, maybe a special collected book every now and again. But what's been going here since the inception...but I guess this is what they call fan/collector service nowadays. Maybe I'm just an old fogey...!

All of that said, those of you who are taking on this herculean task, I salute you! We collectors come in a million shapes and sizes, with a million difference focuses, and the way I see it, if you are plowing your cash into Reds, Blacks, & Blues, then hopefully that means a little less cash out there for those things I do enjoy purchasing.
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #100
natecm
Hench Mutant
 
natecm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 350
Just looked through Dan's art on the Red Label books and it turns out he did a small handful of non-Turtles for the book.

Here's one of the two Shredders he did. Thought it was pretty cool. Somebody's getting a super rare Red.

Spoiler:
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.