The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #101
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I want the cancelled animated Batgirl year one DTV.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #102
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

lol... Whedon is off the project and they're looking for another director? WB wasn't even going to make a Batgirl movie until he came to them and told them that was the one and only thing he was interested in doing for them.

Wow, between this and Whedon's "saving" of Justice League... his stock from Avengers 1 and 2 has dropped to near 0.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #103
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

They probably figure it's fine to just go ahead with due to the Bat connection, even if they didn't originally plan on it.

Was that why it happened? I didn't know Whedon specifically asked for it. I just remember it showing up as something they said they were doing, he was attached and that was mostly it.

Quote:
Wow, between this and Whedon's "saving" of Justice League... his stock from Avengers 1 and 2 has dropped to near 0.
Avengers 2 was kind of where the downslide started. He's always going to have his rabid supporters who were there for every one of his shows, whether they succeeded or not, but the moment may indeed be over. I don't think most people fault him for Justice League, though. He was basically tasked to salvage the whole thing. Though, that's normal people, who knows what executives and people upset it wasn't a billion dollar hit are thinking.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #104
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I would say, "do it."

We need more films that are female-directed.
I just hope they hire a good director that will be able to gives a quality film. Definitely would like to see more female succeed in a male dominant profession, but don't sacrifice quality for the sake PC.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:19 AM   #105
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Well, my interest in this movie just went from a generous 5 to a realistic 0.

Hopefully this all leads to Whedon returning to TV and doing what he does best.

Quote:
We need more films that are female-directed.
How about just hiring the right director for the job regardless of their gender?
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #106
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
How about just hiring the right director for the job regardless of their gender?
Not politically correct.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #107
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Hopefully this all leads to Whedon returning to TV and doing what he does best.

No, he should be blacklisted from the entertainment industry. He should never be allowed to work on any media ever again.

Quote:

The vast majority of the entertainment and media industries are, currently, being run by men, and they never had any problems with hiring and promoting male directors, regardless of their status and qualification. However, they seem to almost always have a problem with even considering female directors for the job.

That's why I'm concerned.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 02-23-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #108
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
No, he should be blacklisted from the entertainment industry. He should never be allowed to work on any media ever again.
Why? Because he allegedly cheated on his ex-wife?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #109
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Why? Because he allegedly cheated on his ex-wife?
He took advantage of people while he was in his position of power.

No matter how you slice it, that's despicable.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #110
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:

Where are these allegations from the people you claim he took advantage of? I've only seen his ex say he slept with people involved with and fans of the Buffy tv show.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #111
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Yes, yes, let's kill all the bad guys.
Let's see how soon everyone won't be "good enough" and will need to be removed.

I am not arguing that he might be far from feminist he pretended to be and maybe not even the nice person, however, I don't think he made something so-so horrible that he should be ostracized for the rest of his days.
And even if he does, this decision should be made by level-headed people, not the likes of you.

Quote:
The vast majority of the entertainment and media industries are currently being run by men, and they never had any problems with hiring and promoting male directors, regardless of their status and qualification. However, they seem to almost always have a problem with even considering female directors for the job.

Or maybe, male directors just promoted because they are better than female ones.

This problem is complicated, but "positive discrimination", i.e. taking people on the job, regardless of their qualification, just because of their gender is not a good solution.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #112
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Joss Whedon Wanted To Adapt An Unexpected Comic Book Storyline For His BATGIRL Movie
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batgi...-movie-a158105
Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #113
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

For fun, I just peeked at Joss' Twitter. That's a whole lot of bile he's been spewing lately.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #114
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
For fun, I just peeked at Joss' Twitter. That's a whole lot of bile he's been spewing lately.
Yeah, He tends to post very political tweets and such.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #115
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Yes, yes, let's kill all the bad guys.
Let's see how soon everyone won't be "good enough" and will need to be removed.

I am not arguing that he might be far from feminist he pretended to be and maybe not even the nice person, however, I don't think he made something so-so horrible that he should be ostracized for the rest of his days.
And even if he does, this decision should be made by level-headed people, not the likes of you.

Or maybe, male directors just promoted because they are better than female ones.

This problem is complicated, but "positive discrimination", i.e. taking people on the job, regardless of their qualification, just because of their gender is not a good solution.
lets just put pappenbrook in a box and send her to Themyscra. An island of all women and no men allowed she would be so happy. But yes lets let level headed people make descision about who works where instead of a triggered SJW.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #116
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:

The vast majority of the entertainment and media industries are currently being run by men, and they never had any problems with hiring and promoting male directors, regardless of their status and qualification. However, they seem to almost always have a problem with even considering female directors for the job.

Wow. Just...wow.

Because of his marital problems he should lose his career? This isn't rape allegations we're talking about. Cool your jets.

As for your statement on the entertainment industry at large, well... I just... I just can't fathom how you've reached that conclusion aside from reading spin articles on women empowerment. I work in Toronto Television and I remember while we were in pre-production, the showrunner and executive producers (both female) said they wanted all female directors beyond the pilot episode. There were 13 episodes total that season. Guess how many episodes were directed by women? 2. Due to lack of available female directors.

The truth is girls don't tend to get into film as much as guys do. It's finally changing (albiet slowly), but guys who were working 30 years ago as directors are still directing. Male DPs who have been working for a long time usually get their shot as Director if they've been working long enough and have enough clout. In "old Hollywood", girls were mostly involved in costume, make-up, and production design. These aren't positions that crossover into directing unlike camera and Assistant Director positions do.

What I'm getting at is the ratio of working men to female directors is going to take a long while to even out, but it's happening. But don't expect because one producer hires a guy to direct instead of a girl it's because they "have a problem even considering" a female. The talent pool is still currently minuscule compared to men. And at the end of the day, you want a good product. And alot of these guys have decades of experience under their belt. And even if they don't - maybe they just had a better pitch.

Basically - don't expect the worst in people.

Quote:

Face the facts; the only thing we know of this is an article written by a hurt spouse with the sole intention of hurting Joss' image as publicly as possible. We know literally zero of the intimate details of their marriage, conversations, arrangements - anything. I'm not saying what she has said isn't true, I'm saying that's a very compromised one sided argument to paint a whole picture around.

Again... don't expect the worst in people. Chill out. Not everything needs a pitchfork.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #117
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Well, I can't say that Whedon leaving the film is disappointing news for me to hear. I just didn't find his Tweets defendable at all. What he wrote about the boss of my brother's girlfriend was simply insulting. He also really doesn't come across as a decent human being based on what his ex-wife wrote about him.

Should Warner Bros. still move forward with this project I really do believe that female director would be the route to go. Patty Jenkins did amazing things with Wonder Woman. We'll just see what happens.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #118
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
What he wrote about the boss of my brother's girlfriend was simply insulting. s.
You family is in the industry?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #119
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You family is in the industry?
My brother's girlfriend works for Paul Ryan. I didn't vote for either 2016 Presidential candidate and did a fill-in vote. I can definitely understand why the entertainment industry makes fun and heavily criticizes the President, but I don't recall Ryan doing anything terrible. Whedon made headlines for writing the most insulting things about Ryan and cancer survivors who visited him.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #120
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I want the cancelled animated Batgirl year one DTV.
Yes,please! One of the best mini-series DC ever did.

Tags
papenbrook triggered