The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #41
sdp
-

As an impressionable young mind I was lead to believe special features were cool and commentary a must for movies. As it was a hassle to get through them I realized that reading the tidbits and cool trivia quickly online was a better way to do it and that the only important extra was the deleted scenes, at least, especially if they're alternate endings or deleted scenes that are pretty much still canon to the movie. Bloopers etc are just not interesting to me.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As an impressionable young mind I was lead to believe special features were cool and commentary a must for movies. As it was a hassle to get through them I realized that reading the tidbits and cool trivia quickly online was a better way to do it and that the only important extra was the deleted scenes, at least, especially if they're alternate endings or deleted scenes that are pretty much still canon to the movie. Bloopers etc are just not interesting to me.
I agree. Deleted scenes are always welcome as a bonus feature, especially in the case of scenes that were completely finished and polished and were only cut to trim some time. Napoleon Dynamite and the Pirates of the Caribbean series are some examples where the deleted scenes really add to the experience.

DVDS commentary is only as worthwhile as the commentators make it; I've heard great ones and terrible ones.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #43
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I can't even tell the difference between quality on DVD and Blu-Ray unless it's side-by-side and so I don't ever have a preference unless it's something I actually collect like TMNT or The Ring. Hell, before I got glasses I couldn't even see side-by-side differences.
If you've noticed the difference in any way, even if only one, then that should be enough. If you still don't feel it necessary to watch anything in better resolution, then more power to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I agree. Deleted scenes are always welcome as a bonus feature, especially in the case of scenes that were completely finished and polished and were only cut to trim some time. Napoleon Dynamite and the Pirates of the Caribbean series are some examples where the deleted scenes really add to the experience.

DVDS commentary is only as worthwhile as the commentators make it; I've heard great ones and terrible ones.
I also tend to prefer deleted scenes over bloopers, but sometimes I don't bother with deleted scenes if it's something I'm renting. The same can apply to all the other features as well. It all depends on how much I enjoyed the movie. Commentaries tend to be my favorite special feature, but you're not wrong that some of them just aren't that good. Even still, there are movies that lack commentaries that I wonder what they'd probably be like. As a Harry Potter fan, those movies are one of the best examples in my opinion.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #44
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I can't even tell the difference between quality on DVD and Blu-Ray unless it's side-by-side and so I don't ever have a preference unless it's something I actually collect like TMNT or The Ring. Hell, before I got glasses I couldn't even see side-by-side differences.
Even without side by side, the difference is night and day... I have an 80" screen, so to me, there's a HUGE difference.

I made some quick examples...

Night and day, I tell ya. Night and freakin' day.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #45
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Night and day, I tell ya. Night and freakin' day.
Here's an earlier discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT6UlAvKz88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJs8-I9WtA
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #46
Prowler
Emperor

Man, DVD technology used to look so cutting edge back in the early 2000s. I thought dividing movies and episodes into chapters was cool. And also loved the presentation of some DVD menus.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I hate how they sell blu-ray cartoons. Animation barely looks any different in HD, especially for old cartoons from the 80's, 90's or early 2000's.

Seriously they put Dragonball Z or Batman:TAS on blu-ray, it barely looks any different.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #48
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Man, DVD technology used to look so cutting edge back in the early 2000s. I thought dividing movies and episodes into chapters was cool. And also loved the presentation of some DVD menus.
There is a lot of art in a good DVD menu. I like to play around with the format and make my own video compilations that I burn to DVDs.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #49
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I hate how they sell blu-ray cartoons. Animation barely looks any different in HD, especially for old cartoons from the 80's, 90's or early 2000's.

Seriously they put Dragonball Z or Batman:TAS on blu-ray, it barely looks any different.
Disney cartoons on blu ray however looks amazingly detailed.
Try watching Sleeping Beauty in its HD glory.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #50
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If the companies think people believe it looks better, it's worth it.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #51
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
If the companies think people believe it looks better, it's worth it.
They do appear to be sharper in HD. The only times when I don't notice the difference is when things in a 4:3 presentation are shown in HD. The same goes for live action releases.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #52
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It's a different time now, but I still think DVD and Bluray deserved some more years in the spotlight before fading away. At least it's great formats for physical media.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #53
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I went to two Best Buys today. They've both gotten rid of their CD section, although one of them has a $6 bargain bin for CDs. Since Target was also said to be possibly getting rid of their CD section, I'll have to visit one some day to see what's doing.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #54
sdp
-

Disc storage was just an awful idea, I guess it was a necessary evil since it was the cheapest way to store a lot of data but I'm glad it's meeting it's final fate(sorry if you like it, i'm sure it'll continue to be sold in niche stores). It has loading, the it can get disc-rot, it scratches if you don't handle it carefully, your player is bound to break because of so many movable parts, the laser can deteriorate etc.

The Nintendo Switch made me realize one thing, the other non-disc physical media. I'd totally but some of my fav. movies if they were in cartridge/card format for example, just pop it in and watch.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #55
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Disc storage was just an awful idea, I guess it was a necessary evil since it was the cheapest way to store a lot of data but I'm glad it's meeting it's final fate(sorry if you like it, i'm sure it'll continue to be sold in niche stores). It has loading, the it can get disc-rot, it scratches if you don't handle it carefully, your player is bound to break because of so many movable parts, the laser can deteriorate etc.

The Nintendo Switch made me realize one thing, the other non-disc physical media. I'd totally but some of my fav. movies if they were in cartridge/card format for example, just pop it in and watch.
I figured you'd be the first to reply, and spewing even more of your anti-disc-flavored venom all over the place.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #56
Overlord

Quote:
Disc storage was just an awful idea
Are you only talking about videogames?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #57
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about anything that has been put on disc. Music, movies, video games, whatever.

Anyway, I went to Target this morning and they still had a lot of CDs. So did the Wal-Mart across the street from it. I guess they're not getting rid of them any time soon.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #58
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I'm pretty sure he's talking about anything that has been put on disc. Music, movies, video games, whatever.

Anyway, I went to Target this morning and they still had a lot of CDs. So did the Wal-Mart across the street from it. I guess they're not getting rid of them any time soon.
Some older people still prefer CD, so I wouldn't be surprised if you saw artists like Dolly Parton, Elvis Presley and Cliff Richard.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #59
sdp
-

Wasn't walmart one of the last places to sell VHS and casette tapes as well?

Quote:
No, wouldn't you love to own your favorite movies in like mini cart devices? I think that would be cool. I'd definitely own some of my favorite movies like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I figured you'd be the first to reply, and spewing even more of your anti-disc-flavored venom all over the place.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #60
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

No, wouldn't you love to own your favorite movies in like mini cart devices? I think that would be cool. I'd definitely own some of my favorite movies like that.
I guess that would be interesting, but physical media is supposed to soon be a thing of the past.