The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
$20 million, what was this guy thinking?
I almost had the thought it was just a guy trolling, but his fundraiser seems genuine. He really believes he "has" something there.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
sdp
-

Has been done before, anyone remember the "mature" OT movie from a few years ago that turned into a comic that never happened and a bunch of drama including a fake press interview?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Has been done before, anyone remember the "mature" OT movie from a few years ago that turned into a comic that never happened and a bunch of drama including a fake press interview?
Yeah, I actually followed that for a while. I'm weak and desperate.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Dawn of the Ninja. Andrew trolled the hell out of them for years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #25
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He doesn't seem to understand what "millennials" are. And the Mirage comics were "gratuitously violent"? Which ones?
Yeah, this kid seems like the many who see the first issue and immediately think "ZOMG grimdark Turtles!" without venturing past that point. :troll:

Quote:
Ha, the best part of the "interview":
"So, what do you have to show us?"
*pulls out title card*

Last edited by Venom; 03-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #26
snake
Disgusting

That sounds amazing. Anyone have links to this "interview"?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
That sounds amazing. Anyone have links to this "interview"?

I will say this, though. That man's wife is breathtaking.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #28
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Ahhhh...the URL is dead.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #29
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So that video is a separate thing from the Indiegogo link?

I don't know how far you can legally take a fan project but I'm assuming as long as it's just for fun and it's not made for profit you can pretty much do anything.

If you have nothing better to do fine but it seems like a big waste of time when you should put your efforts into something original that you could profit from.

These people make enough money they can afford to do this? Obviously not because it never happened.

It was funny how all he had to show was the nifty, nifty poster.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

With all the cease and desists that a lot of fan projects get, I am not sure why anyone even tries to make fan films anymore. You either need a lot of money, which garners attention and threats of lawsuits or you spend hardly anything at all and the CG (assuming you would use CG for this) wouldn't look professional, distracting people from your skills as an actual director, and you end looking like a hack. It just doesn't seem like a win scenario at all.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
With all the cease and desists that a lot of fan projects get, I am not sure why anyone even tries to make fan films anymore. It just doesn't seem like a win scenario at all.
It's probably because most people generally have no clue how real life laws work. Either that or they're just really stupid or naive enough to think they can use someone elses copyrighted characters and make their own production of it.

That's why these people act so shocked and disappointed/angry when they get "cease and desist" notices, it's because they generally have no damn clue of real life laws.

Part of it is probably just ignorance, I guess.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #32
pferreira
Foot Elite

That fan project is closed and apart from the legal issues with good reason too. The guy doesn't seem to understand that while Turtles needs to be somewhat serious making it R rated doesn't make it good. You need a balance and as dark and violent as some fans make out the Mirage comic to be from what I've read I haven't really seen that. There are moments of violence but nothing OTT, just a good amount of humour and a cool street vibe.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #33
The Deadman
Foot Elite

This probably would of been on the level as the Power/Rangers fan film. Incredibly crappy.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E5).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
That fan project is closed and apart from the legal issues with good reason too. The guy doesn't seem to understand that while Turtles needs to be somewhat serious making it R rated doesn't make it good. You need a balance and as dark and violent as some fans make out the Mirage comic to be from what I've read I haven't really seen that. There are moments of violence but nothing OTT, just a good amount of humour and a cool street vibe.
Sounds... about right. And I would stress, "a good amount of humor, consistent with the type and extent of humor in the Kevin & Peter issues of the Mirage series."
Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #35
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Yeah, I personally don't think an R rating guarantees a good film. I don't even think it fits the Turtles the same way it fits Deadpool.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #36
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's preaching to the choir to say that a rating does not equal a good film. Sausage Party is the most notable example I can think of in that regards.

Even serious movies can have G ratings. Look at Watership Down. A movie like that would probably be PG-13, or even R these days, but in the 70's, it was a G! Rabbits tearing each other to shreds! A seagull dropping the F-bomb, humans gassing and burying warrens with the rabbits still inside so they can use the land. A family picture!

There's some PG-13 violence that I still can't handle to this day. After seeing it the first time, I've never been able to handle watching the Orc Cannibalism scene in The Two Towers. I just...nope myself away.

Then there's the factor of violence not being a required factor for an R-rated film. While it is a factor, violence is not what made Mirage TMNT serious on its own. It was its attempt to study philosophy, racism, PTSD, martial arts, honor, fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...okay that end part is The Princess Bride, but you get my point.

Wanting a TMNT movie that's VIOLENTâ„¢ will not ever make it a good movie, because except for issue #1, that is not what the turtles are about.
EVER.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Wanting a TMNT movie that's VIOLENTâ„¢ will not ever make it a good movie, because except for issue #1, that is not what the turtles are about.
EVER.
No, but they don't shy away from it either.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #38
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That is true. But it's not the foundation of their seriousness. It's their experiences in addition to their fights, maybe about 75% so.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
That is true. But it's not the foundation of their seriousness.
Well... it's kind of their foundation. I mean, before all of their adventures and inner thinking... they were being raised and trained for the sole purpose of one day killing a man to avenge another. That's them on the ground level.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #40
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

But that is just one incarnation of TMNT. I know a lot of people love the Mirage stuff, but the franchise has moved on from their "violent foundations" and even if they did a movie based on Mirage, it doesn't make it a good movie.

The TMNT film franchise doesn't need grit and violence. It needs reverence towards what matters, the characters, not what society thinks the Ninja Turtles are (Krang, Technodrome, Cowabunga, Bebop and Rocksteady, etc.). It needs filmmakers who treat them as actual living being with souls, and so far that has only happened once... in 1990.