The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

What if the Original Tmnt cartoon never ended?

Imagine if after 193 episodes, it was decided that the original tmnt cartoon was not cancelled but rather renewed for many more seasons in the indefinete future, reaching the status of long running animated shows like Simpsons, Pokemon and Spongebob.

What do you think it would've been like?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Honestly...? I think the storytelling would have just gone downhill after a while. Much the way the Sponge has while they continue to try to keep it alive after so long.

Although I suppose they could have instead of making it officially separate series it could have at some point had different "chapters" that took on a new tone, art style and increased their age slowly. Freshening it up a bit and continuing, much like the darn Power Rangers that seemed to have kept going while changing people and themes a little (I think?) now and then.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

A lot of plots contradicting each other, time passing and the turtles not aging with them. I'm glad it was allowed to rest in peace for at least 13 years.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
cammy85
Stone Warrior

I had three different ideas when I was younger:

1. replaces seasons 8-10 altogether and just has S+K on Earth for a few episodes before returning to Dimension X and then resuming as normal. Before returning to the Technodrome, they acquire a sophisticated lab that Baxter fly took over with some aliens and finally returned to human form... only to be properly incarcerated. Oops!!

2. Dregg and Mung are still together somehow (remember Dregg blasted Hitech in Doomquest and he didn't abandon Dregg?) and only had two episodes; each ripping off old plots. The first was a more sophisticated "reverse the world's climate" plot that did work but was stopped before it got too bad. The second was a fly invasion plot caused by another rival of Dregg's and the Turtles had to save everyone; even Dregg.

3. Most successful: Shredder somehow returns to Earth and follows the Turtles and Splinter to Japan where Splinter will be cured and return to lead a new clan since the turtles don't need him. Shredder frames him again and they all wind up in jail. All works out and Shredder jumps off a waterfall to avoid capture and... escapes. The rest of the season revolves around a new villain from the future who brutalizes the Turtles and they can temporary powers (like Power rangers and Metallic Armour, Super Dino Mode, etc.) to help when needed. Then said villain links with Krang and it turns out the energy contained within the Turtles can power Krang's new Technodrome and make it invincible. So the season is spent leading up to the big finale which finishes Krang off for good. Oh, and Shredder survived and has a new Cyber Armor like in Radical Rescue.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Say if the original cartoon was still running in 2017, having hit the 800 episode mark or something.

I'm really curious as to how the animation would've been compared to the original 1987-1996 run.

the show probably would've stopped being produced using hand drawn animation somewhere in the late 2000s and instead using flash to achieve a similar look, really like how the Wanted Bebop and Rocksteady episodes of Nick used flash animation to look almost identical to the original toon.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Overlord

Kazuo Saki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
Shredder frames him again and they all wind up in jail.
Arrested by Shredder's younger brother Kazuo Saki, Toyo policeman!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

It would be a nightmare.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most likely the show would have been revamped for a darker more continuity approach as we got to 1998-2000's to mimic most other action cartoons at the time.

Something on 2k3's level would have probably happened. The 2k3 series was a mix of anime and action oriented storylines because it came out in the early 2000's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm sure there's a fanfic for this...
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Arrested by Shredder's younger brother Kazuo Saki, Toyo policeman!
That should've happened for sure!! Get Shredder was perfect and it would've worked if not for having to stop Berserko's Annihilator.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite

Well for one thing it would be done digitally. Also I imagine the cartoon going through a bunch of series with titles like "TMNT Taskforce" or "Extreme TMNT".

It would be cool although for some fans it would be a nightmare so cool.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most likely it would have been rebranded with new designs, a new title, and new animation every few years or so. They'd probably keep the same continuity and voice actors unless they retired or didn't want to do it anymore.

Shredder might have been revamped to become more of a real villain with better plans and designs. We probably would have gotten more Mirage concepts similar to the 2k3 series.

Either way I always saw the 2k3 series as the natural successor to what TMNT would have been in the early 2000's. The 2k3 series mixed action with anime-esque scenes and storytelling and was reflective of what cartoons were like in the early 2000's.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

There is no feasible way this could've happened in any reality.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I don't know, other long running shows like Simpsons, Pokemon, Spongebob, etc. show its possible for the same show to run for decades with just slight alterations or updates.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't know, other long running shows like Simpsons, Pokemon, Spongebob, etc. show its possible for the same show to run for decades with just slight alterations or updates.
The OT does not have the staying power of any of those. 2 are comedy shows, which can run indefinitely, and Pokemon has a format that lends to this treatment. TMNT does not.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Old 11-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

...it would have eventually been forced into cancellation. So it would have lasted... 1-2 more seasons? And perhaps Shredder and Krang would return and lose to the Turtles in a big final battle?

The TMNT fad was already dying around 1993. The last 3 seasons of the FW series had 8 episodes each only ,and the last season didn't even have a toyline afaik. Hell no Red Sky characters got toys, did they?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
...it would have eventually been forced into cancellation. So it would have lasted... 1-2 more seasons? And perhaps Shredder and Krang would return and lose to the Turtles in a big final battle?

The TMNT fad was already dying around 1993. The last 3 seasons of the FW series had 8 episodes each only ,and the last season didn't even have a toyline afaik. Hell no Red Sky characters got toys, did they?
Here are the 1996 toy releases

http://www.tmnttoys.com/figures1987.html#1996

But you're right, no seasons 8-10 toys
Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #19
dragonside
Hench Mutant

unlike other huge long running series that come to mind.

I think TMNT could have, but they would need either a:

MASSIVE Adventure and character development (like the One Piece Anime). Personally, I'd love to see something like this.

Comedy only series (sort of like the Simpsons, Family Guy)

I think the 1987 series fit in the action adventure with comedy.

One final thought is literally just adapting TMNT Adventures comics into a cartoon, which I would have enjoyed greatly.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
One final thought is literally just adapting TMNT Adventures comics into a cartoon, which I would have enjoyed greatly.
I'ld say: Take some great Archie elements (international trips to Brazil and Japan, Armaggon and Verminator X and the Mutanimals somehow forming a group).

But in now way, I would want it to last forever.