The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #1001
Duke
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
It's early, but by this time DS had completely been wiped out in preorders alone, and it stayed wiped out all through late Janurary. Still early, byt a damn good sign.
Maybe in some places but I was out Christmas Eve and saw no less than 25 DS units although this was spread out over about 5 stores.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:39 PM   #1002
JameO
Mad Scientist

Alright, thanks TMB I sent you my email. Thanks for everything. So where do all you get your Roms at? I cant seem to find a sensible site that will let me just download them without a hassle.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:02 PM   #1003
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

All of the Rom sites died a long time ago. I got all my stuff from an old Hong Kong site, but now it's dead too. I can't find them anywhere now, but if you need anything else, just let me know as I have a lot of 'em.

NEWS POST!!!

CONFRIMED. Mario Kart DS WILL be online. EGM, and Gamespy have confirmed it.

YES!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 01:14 AM   #1004
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Ok guys, this is very likely BS and will be changed soon but I had a good laugh and TMB will love it.
Amazon Germany takes pre-orders for the PSP now and they want no less than €329! That is about $430!!
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...337747-9930116
The product description says that this is not the official but an estimated price but I'm very curious about how they made that number up.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:42 AM   #1005
Spitfire
Writer • Director

LOL on that site it says
Kaufen Sie Sony PSP - PlayStation Portable und Wario Ware Touched! DS!
Zusammen für: EUR 365,99

Their trying to get you to buy a DS game with the PSP haha that's funny to me

Anywho I saw the PSP in action today and it didnt impress me. The person who showed me his already had 10 dead pixels and was whineing about having to take it back already. He had MGS Acid which just made me want to play Twin Snakes. It wasnt as bad as I expected but it really wasnt that great. I pity anywho who dished out 300 for this thing at launch. Just not worth it
Old 03-26-2005, 05:01 AM   #1006
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
CONFRIMED. Mario Kart DS WILL be online. EGM, and Gamespy have confirmed it.

YES!!!!!!!
I thought that had been confirmed a long time ago? Same for Metroid Prime: Hunters...

Either way, it's great news. Now I'll be able to get my ass kicked from people all over the world.

Btw can anyone explain to me how this 'No-line' thing is supposed to work? I still don't quite understand.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #1007
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

No Line.....okay, the DS put's out a Wireless Wi-Fi signal. To use this, you must have a Broadband internet connection (Cable or DSL) and a wireless router. The DS will then automatically connect to the internet when an online capatible game is turned on....at least that's how it's supposed to work. It won't do anything right now because no online games have been released yet.

And Spitfire.....10 DEAD PIXELS? That's pathetic for even a Sony device. Geez.

And selling DS games with that PSP...
Old 03-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #1008
Super Moderator

Dead pixels have always been a problem with LCD screens. They happen in computer monitors, HDTV's, PSP, and even DS. It's a manufacturing error, and it's hard to avoid. You have no idea how careful I was inspecting my LCD computer monitor when I first got it.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #1009
Barkworm
Super Moderator

That's true but it seems like the DS screens were more carefully manufactured. I haven't heard of any cases with more than one or two dead pixels.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #1010
Super Moderator

True. They must've been a lot more careful. I guess it's all about supervision or the quality of the machines that manufacture the screens.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #1011
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm
That's true but it seems like the DS screens were more carefully manufactured. I haven't heard of any cases with more than one or two dead pixels.
No, I saw one that had about 5 dead pixels. The difference is that Sony will only replace the screen if it has 12+ dead pixels. Nintendo would, and still will replace it if it has any at all. Just a difference is consumer loyality I guess.

Who is manufacturing the PSP's screens btw?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #1012
Super Moderator

I believe Samsung made the LCD screens for the PSP, but I'm also reading a site here that says Sharp made the screens for the Japanese PSP.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #1013
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

The Japanese PSP didn't have any problems other than the sticky square button and UMD drives spitting out discs. Well remind me never to buy from Samsung, Monitor or otherwise. 20 dead pixels in just absurd. Apple and Sharp all the way baby.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:43 AM   #1014
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Just a note. I'm gone all this week on Spring Break. See ya later!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #1015
Super Moderator

Take care, TMB. I'll handle this thread while you're gone. Here's some Revolution stuffsk.

---------------------------------------------
Iwata on Nintendo Revolution
A brave new console fit for the masses.
by Juan Castro
March 28, 2005 - In a recent interview with Japanese publication Nikkei Business, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata commented on the GameCube's successor, currently codenamed the Nintendo Revolution. Iwata touched on the need for simplicity in future game design, arguing that games have grown overly complex in recent years. This trend, argues Iwata, has chased away potential gamers and limited the appeal of videogames.

"A goal of ours with Revolution is to expand the target market for games. The current consoles are constantly getting more complicated. The number of buttons on Joypads has been increasing steadily in recent years, for instance. Hardcore players can still manage, but for inexperienced people and beginners the degree of complexity is too big of a barrier."

The only logical conclusion, of course, is for Nintendo to make games less complex for non-gamers. How the company intends to do this is anyone's guess, and will be until the Electronic Entertainment Expo this May. Still, Iwata's recent comments hint at a system built on a foundation of supreme user-friendliness. The controller can't possibly resemble current models for the PS2, Xbox or even GameCube, since each one features a design that Nintendo now deems too complex.

Whatever input device the Revolution uses, it will appeal to everyone, according to Iwata. It will provide a new, user-friendly experience previously unseen in videogames. Furthermore, the Revolution will use the same API (Application Programming Interface) used for the GameCube, cutting down on development costs and making development on the console easier.

--------------------------------------------------------

So...maybe the touch screen controller is actually a possibility now.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:39 PM   #1016
Duke
Mad Scientist

I'm wouldn't mind trying out a touch screen controller although i'm not sure how well it would work but i'd give it a shot. Although personally I find them less user friendly than a good old fashion controller.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #1017
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Allright, here we go.

DeMasked Revealed April 04, 2005

by: Oscar Wang

Warp Pipe's new layout reveals a little more of what's to come.

Posted by Seth Walker

With Warp Pipe's new layout comes a little bit of information regarding their project currently dubbed "DeMasked". "Demasked gives publishers and developers the freedom to deploy a wide array of online features into their games without adding infrastructure costs seen in traditional online games.

"Ant-farm", a core component of demasked, will give publishers and developers an easier way to manage and release new online-enabled games. Not only does it make it easier to get online games running, but it also consolidates legacy application servers; allowing them to continuously support today's online-enabled video games for generations to come.

With E3 coming soon, and Warp Pipe sure to be there, exciting news regarding Warp Pipe and their demasked project will sure to be plentiful.
source: Warp Pipe

Thank heavens, no worrying about support for teriffic online software being dropped when the next gen starts. That was worth the wait. Way to go Warp Pipe.

IGN is throwing around April Fools jokes like there's no tomarrow, but that Metroid movie one was the funniest.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #1018
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Warp Pipe Support Ends April 04, 2005

by: Matt Saunderson

Warp Pipe Technologies won't be supporting its GameCube tunneling software anymore, as the company moves forward.

In an announcement late last night by Warp Pipe Technologies founder Chad Paulson, it was announced that Warp Pipe Technologies will no longer be providing support to users of its Nintendo GameCube tunneling software.

"Over the past year, Warp Pipe has slowly transitioned to a software technology company, creating a product suite for video game publishers and developers. As we have made this move forward, we have evaluated the immediate needs of the Warp Pipe community in relation to the long term goals of Warp Pipe Technologies and have come to the conclusion that it is not in our best interest to allocate resources on the GameCube tunneling project... We would like to thank the thousands of loyal members for all their support and patronage. We look forward to making you all proud to be members of the Warp Pipe community as we strive to change the landscape of online gaming as we know it," Paulson wrote.

The software, which is for Windows, OS X, BSD, and Linux, allowed Nintendo GameCube LAN titles, such as Mario Kart: Double Dash!, to be played over the Internet (or a WAN). The current version of the Warp Pipe GameCube software is 0.4.1, and can still be downloaded here for Windows, OS X, and Linux. The latest BSD version is 0.3.5, and is available here. Warp Pipe Technologies still has its GameCube tunneling website and forum open, so members of the community can assist each other with problems that may arise with the software.

Source: Warp Pipe Technologies

I suppose it's served it's purpose for Gamecube. With DS going online, there isn't really any need to keep it going seeing as there will likely be no more LAN games for the cube anyway. THis year's best single player is on the cube and the best multiplayer will be on DS. Guess itt's time to let go. Thanks for giving us online back when Nintendo didn't. It was a blast
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #1019
Super Moderator

I never tried Warp Pipe, because I don't have the broadband adaptor. I do remember trying that Xbox trick once or twice to play Halo. I believe it was called Xbox Tunnel, but then they changed the name. It was pretty fun. A wonderful idea, as well.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:12 AM   #1020
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yeah, I saw that performed on TechTV once. It worked pretty well all things considered. GOt a little choppy past 8 players, but that was because of the studio's hardware firewalls. Tunneling is a teriffic idea for any console, but early Xbox games were made for it before the launch of Live. Then everything was pretty much online anyway.

To my knoledge, a team has recently cracked the DS code and gotten the little sucker online early through tunneling. The Single card multiplayer works as well. Amazing.