The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

What do you think the next Mirage trade from IDW will be?

So as we know Ultimate Collection #5 finishes off City at War and the end of Eastman/Laird of Volume 1.

Simultaneously TMNT Classics V. 7 collects issues #45-48 of the Mirage run, which were the Leatherhead issue and the two-part Masks story in ancient Japan with Chote. That of course were the last 3 Mirage issues before Shades of Gray which were in the Ultimate Collections.

The only Volume 1 stories now that they never collected are the 4 Rick Veitch issues (Sky Highway and The River 3-parter), and issue #41 "Turtle Dreams" which they sadly don't have the rights to reprint. And of course "Souls Winter" trilogy from Michael Zulli.

I assume, or rather hope, that "Classic V. 8" collects the 3 "Soul's Winter" issues of Zulli and thus all of Mirage Volume 1 will be reprinted aside from the 5 issues they don't have the rights for. I find it odd they skipped Soul's Winter until now but hope they don't forget about it and collect it.

So after that...we're onto Volume 2. How do you think Volume 2 will be collected? Will they simply be part of the "Classics" line and be Volume 9 of that series? Or will they get Ultimate Collection treatment?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Your question on the IDW forum prompted me to inquire about the Zulli stuff, Cubed. It is on the slate for 2nd half of 2014, I believe.

I think normal, non-Ultimate treatment for Vol. 2, but I could be mistaken.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's good to hear. I was worried those Zulli issues would be forgotten.

Also since Volume 2 was only 13 issues, that should be collected rather quickly. Can't wait to see how Image (Volume 3) is done after that.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Rat_King
Hench Mutant

I'm glad we still have some great things to look forward to! Souls Winter is my all time favorite incarnation of the turtles. I would absolutely love to see it get the limited treatment too.
Rat_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Zulli stuff is great but I wouldn't really miss it if it weren't reprinted (again), to be honest. It's probably the best of the alternate universe Mirage pieces, but it's still just that -- alternate universe Mirage pieces. Better we get all the "real" stuff before worrying about that stuff, would be my vote.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Zulli stuff is great but I wouldn't really miss it if it weren't reprinted (again), to be honest. It's probably the best of the alternate universe Mirage pieces, but it's still just that -- alternate universe Mirage pieces. Better we get all the "real" stuff before worrying about that stuff, would be my vote.
They already collected the Mark Martin trilogy and the Tom Mcweeny trilogy which were out of canon wacky stories. If those were reprinted I'm sure everyone wants Soul's winter reprinted.

As said the only stuff they didn't reprint was Veitch's stuff.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They already collected the Mark Martin trilogy and the Tom Mcweeny trilogy which were out of canon wacky stories. If those were reprinted I'm sure everyone wants Soul's winter reprinted.

As said the only stuff they didn't reprint was Veitch's stuff.
The issues from volume 1 that they haven't reprinted......are they a lost cause? I sold my entire comic collection and am just collecting the trades now. Should I just buy those few single issues or is there a slim chance of them being collected down the line? Also will #18 ever be collected in a trade?
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
The issues from volume 1 that they haven't reprinted......are they a lost cause? I sold my entire comic collection and am just collecting the trades now. Should I just buy those few single issues or is there a slim chance of them being collected down the line? Also will #18 ever be collected in a trade?
IDW has to pay Veitch royalties before they can reprint his comics and they don't want to do that. So that accounts to The river trilogy and Sky highway.

Issue #41 Turtle Dreams also can't be reprinted because of the artist/writer royalties too.

I wish IDW would just share the profits with these guys to see the material reprinted but apparently it's not the way business works.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

(where do these stories get started?) We'd be delighted to pay royalities— we've offered to do so. The issue is ownership of the stories, which is a matter between Veitch and Viacom, which we don't have any say over.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
(where do these stories get started?) We'd be delighted to pay royalities— we've offered to do so. The issue is ownership of the stories, which is a matter between Veitch and Viacom, which we don't have any say over.
In other words, let's back off of IDW. They're doing an awesome job. Put the pressure on Viacom and Veitch instead.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
In other words, let's back off of IDW. They're doing an awesome job. Put the pressure on Viacom and Veitch instead.
I'll grab my pitchforks and you grab the torches!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
(where do these stories get started?)
It begins and ends with "CyberCubed".
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fifth turtle View Post
i'll grab my pitchforks and you grab the torches!
Show me your warface!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
Show me your warface!
Ok here goes....ahem

Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Also will #18 ever be collected in a trade?

It'll be included in this hardcover coming to comic shops next week.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
It'll be included in this hardcover coming to comic shops next week.
What else does this collect exactly?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why is #18 reprinted in the 25th collection yet they skipped it over in the regular Mirage classics collections?

Makes no sense.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why is #18 reprinted in the 25th collection yet they skipped it over in the regular Mirage classics collections?

Makes no sense.
Really. Hopefully the task it on volume 8.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

"The River" trilogy is one of my favorite stories from the original comics, so if something can be worked out for those issues to be reprinted, I think it'd be amazing.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Well, it depends on where you stand with creator rights. I emailed Veitch and he confirmed that Viacom offered him cash for his TMNT stories, but they wanted to own the rights to the stories themselves, not just the right to re-print them. This would effectively cut Veitch out of any future royalties that he would otherwise be entitled to should Viacom make money on those stories. Veitch was not willing to do that, and Viacom didn't do a counter offer. This is probably the case Turtles Dreams too.

So if you ask me, point your pitchforks at Viacom.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, reprint