The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #61
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This is my 2,000th post here on Technodrome Forums, so it's very fitting that I share my thoughts on this epic crossover. When I first heard about this movie, the Kindergartner I was 25 years ago had come back and freaked out. Batman, Robin, Batgirl and the Turtles were my favorite superheroes as a little boy along with the Power Rangers. This crossover was miles better than the one that Saban's versions of the Turtles had with the heroes from Power Rangers in Space.

The personalities of the four brothers were very faithful to previous source material. Barbara Gordon/Batgirl also brought some great girl-power to the battle and I liked her chemistry with Donnie. I liked how Batman learned a valuable lesson about teamwork and family from Raph. Leo also became a better fighter thanks to Batman. Mikey's bond with Alfred was funny. It would've been nice to know which Robin was in this movie. I wasn't sure if it was Dick Grayson because the one I grew up with saw Batman more as a guardian than a dad. Robin called Batman, "father" and that didn't give a definitive answer. The villains were also entertaining and bad to the bone. This is definitely a must-own for both Batman and TMNT fans.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #62
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Is it wrong that I didn't want to see Batman beat Shredder in their first fight? Team turtles! Obviously I don't want the side to win though.
Should Shredder have been better against Batman?
Likewise. I'd normally never want Shredder to win and I was trying to root for Batman, but...but...I felt strangely torn over that scene. The fight I never knew I wanted to see. The 2007 Leo/Raph fight pales in comparison!

This movie definitely has brought back that urge to want to see more; that hasn't happened since 2012 wrapped up. Nice to feel that again for a TMNT thing. Hope they come through with a sequel. No survey included with the basic DVD from Walmart though.. Hope those with them do fill 'em out.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #63
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
This is my 2,000th post here on Technodrome Forums, so it's very fitting that I share my thoughts on this epic crossover. When I first heard about this movie, the Kindergartner I was 25 years ago had come back and freaked out. Batman, Robin, Batgirl and the Turtles were my favorite superheroes as a little boy along with the Power Rangers. This crossover was miles better than the one that Saban's versions of the Turtles had with the heroes from Power Rangers in Space.

The personalities of the four brothers were very faithful to previous source material. Barbara Gordon/Batgirl also brought some great girl-power to the battle and I liked her chemistry with Donnie. I liked how Batman learned a valuable lesson about teamwork and family from Raph. Leo also became a better fighter thanks to Batman. Mikey's bond with Alfred was funny. It would've been nice to know which Robin was in this movie. I wasn't sure if it was Dick Grayson because the one I grew up with saw Batman more as a guardian than a dad. Robin called Batman, "father" and that didn't give a definitive answer. The villains were also entertaining and bad to the bone. This is definitely a must-own for both Batman and TMNT fans.
This robin was Damian Wayne. It wasn't revealed in dialogue or the credits, but this Robin does regard Batman the way he would a father. Because Batman is his father...which would also mean his grandpa was kicked in the nads by Leonardo.

If there is a sequel they could probably bring in Tim Drake as Nightwing, particularly since that after credits scene hinted the Shredder has become the "Laughing Man" from the cross over comic.

On the whole, I loved this story and I have no real complaints aside from the voice given to Raph sounded too young to work for a sixteen-year-old Raphael.

I would have liked to have seen Ra's al Ghul approaching the Shredder or vice versa rather than having it begin with the two of them joining forces. Still as a fan who has grown up watching Ninja Turtles and has wondered what a less kid-centered storyline could go, this film proves that the Turtles can be created for a mature audience.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #64
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Likewise. I'd normally never want Shredder to win and I was trying to root for Batman, but...but...I felt strangely torn over that scene. The fight I never knew I wanted to see. The 2007 Leo/Raph fight pales in comparison!

This movie definitely has brought back that urge to want to see more; that hasn't happened since 2012 wrapped up. Nice to feel that again for a TMNT thing. Hope they come through with a sequel. No survey included with the basic DVD from Walmart though.. Hope those with them do fill 'em out.
The survey honestly felt like it was focused more on wat future dc content should be made, big surprise and the formats 2 make it on. But there was a question in there about which dc characters would be interesting 2 see in a future crossover though no idea if it'll be another mix-up like this....
Old 06-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #65
ABrown
Banned

I picked up the blu ray/dvd/digital combo pack. I love getting those now, when something gets released. You're basically getting three copies for just over the price of one. I enjoyed it. The 2007 TMNT movie is still my favorite animated TMNT movie ever created, but this was good. I love Troy Baker's Joker. He sounds exactly like Mark Hamill.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #66
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Just finished it after waiting for the bluray.Thought I'd come here to give my thoughts but I guess it turned into a mini review.
I was a little skeptical going in even having read the comic. This being a DC project and all I was expecting the tmnt to be marginalized but I actually really like the way they were handled. I also really like that even though it pulled from the comic theychanged/added just enough that it could be it's own new story. It has its issues for sure. Like the way mutation works here isn't really explained well and the random t-rex foot soldier that came out of nowhere doesn't make much sense on any level.Overall though I liked more about this than I didnt. I feel like things were balanced well, and everyone in the main cast got cool character moments. This version of Baxter actually got a couple of laughs out of me which I didnt expect.
Speaking of Baxter seeing him as a fly and this being a main stream thing featuring the turtles I was worried they might go overboard with the 87 references but I'm happy that wasnt the case. There's some nods and Easter eggs but like putting batman in the grey and blue it seems more about paying tribute to a classic than pandering.plus there's other stuff here that really gives you a sense these guys care about both sets of characters and thier history. The credits are a standout and the name they give shredders new super move is a pretty deep cut from turtles lore.
My favorite part of this was the fight scenes. Seems like they really went out of thier way to emphasize the martial arts aspect of this in a way the recent live action movies should be ashamed of. This is the kind of stuff I really hope we get more of in the future.Particularly great was shredder vs batman. I'm glad they didnt just go all in on making batman superior but actually showed them as being on par with each other even giving old shredhead a slight edge.i like the final fight between the two here more than in the comic because they didn't resort to putting bats in a battle suit to win.
I guess I should also mention the violence. I wasn't expecting there to be any blood in this at even though I knew blood was spilled in the comic. Shredder and Ras take it to a whole new level though. Now I dont really think a story needs that to be considered mature but funny as it is to say it's kind of nice to see. You get so used to tmnt being seen as this solely kid friendly thing that is refreshing to see them take part in an animated story where the villains pose a serious enough threat that people die in an explicit way. Thats something you never really to see outside of the comics so I appreciate it here. I really hope if nothing else this whole crossover thing shows Viacom that there's an audience out there for turtle content aimed at an older demographic.

Last edited by slingtheory; 06-09-2019 at 07:04 PM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #67
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

I loved it. It was a lot of fun and I def want a sequel. I really loved the awesome fake comic covers at the end as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Am I wrong to be surprised at how little discussion this garnered? I knew this place wasn't very populated these days, but this seems like a semi-noteworthy event for the TMNT compared to the amount of talk on here.
eh, most people, myself included, gravitate towards TMNT or other fan groups on facebook etc. I have gone less and less to actual message boards anymore.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #68
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
My favorite part of this was the fight scenes. Seems like they really went out of thier way to emphasize the martial arts aspect of this in a way the recent live action movies should be ashamed of.
Especially since it takes a lot longer to create it in 2D animation than it does to record actors/stunt guys doing it! It really does put those films to shame. On top of the obvious care given that Bay & Co. on the other hand could hardly be bothered with.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #69
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Bought it yesterday, played it during dinner. LOVED IT! This is what I wish more TMNT movies could be like. Plenty of humor at appropriate moments, and loads of NINJA action. My only (minor) complaints were- Mikey was, as usual, played as a bit of an idiot, and the plot hole regarding the inmates at Arkham. Also- Harley's voice was really grating. I know it was Tara, but she really could have toned it down on the screechy, harshly accented voice. Everyone else was fine, even Raph, whom others seem to have a problem with. But to me he sounded just as a young Raph should.

The artwork was amazing, though the turtles' heads looked a bit odd. But it was nothing I couldn't overlook, and it fit well with the somewhat stylized animation. My favorite part was the battle at the end. Ras al Ghul and Leo, that's all I will say.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #70
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I picked up the blu ray/dvd/digital combo pack. I love getting those now, when something gets released. You're basically getting three copies for just over the price of one. I enjoyed it. The 2007 TMNT movie is still my favorite animated TMNT movie ever created, but this was good. I love Troy Baker's Joker. He sounds exactly like Mark Hamill.
A shame they couldn't get Kevin Conroy. I wonder why?

Quote:
On top of the obvious care given that Bay & Co. on the other hand could hardly be bothered with.
It would be wrong to say the PD didn't have any hard work put into them by people behind the scenes but the films lacked competence in the scripts as well as direction. Not for a lack of trying but a lack of skill, making the right decisions.

Last edited by pferreira; 06-17-2019 at 01:01 PM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #71
Shinigami
Thug

I really tried. It was cool as a what-if fan film, but nothing made and sense and it was really just constant fan service and references. Fun, but not by any means a noteworthy movie in my opinion.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #72
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
It would be wrong to say the PD didn't have any hard work put into them by people behind the scenes but the films lacked competence in the scripts as well as direction. Not for a lack of trying but a lack of skill, making the right decisions.
Agree, there are unsung people who did to their own jobs well. Notable obvious ones being whoever cast the Turtles' actors and those behind the design, creation, and decoration of both lairs. And vehicles.

I'm sure the sound people, editing, etc all did a fine job, along with the character model artists; they may not be pretty, but they were well made for what PD chose to go with.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #73
Chris
Mad Scientist

Finally watched it today and really enjoyed it. Hope they do make the sequel teased.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #74
AquaParade
Banned

Blows my mind to see people on YouTube, like Hector Navarro, call this the “second best TMNT film ever”. Are you kidding me? I appreciate it for taking the TMNT in a new direction and at least treating them as lethal warriors, but it’s really got nothing interesting going on visually or script-wise. It’s incredibly bland, in my eyes.

So yeah, all due respect to opinions and whatnot, but sometimes you gotta call something ridiculous when you feel strongly about it. As flawed as 07 and the PD films are (I don’t care to ever see them again), I find them to be twice as interesting as Batman v TMNT.
Visually, Batman be TMNT simply can’t touch either of them. That goes for animation quality, choreography, cinematography, etc. I realize the designs for PD are hated, and the Batman V TMNT ones are certainly better... but they still aren’t rendered better, and they don’t animate smoothly, or do anything interesting, so it doesn’t count for much.

Idk, I find it borderline disrespectful to call it the second best tmnt film, even if most of them do suck, because I find that all the hard work put into the live action films at least amounts to something somewhat interesting, ambitious, and discussion worthy, while this film is just basic Saturday morning material.

At the end of the day, I’m overreacting, but it was something I wanted to get off my chest. Feel free to critique my points.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #75
AquaParade
Banned

Blows my mind to see people on YouTube, like Hector Navarro, call this the “second best TMNT film ever”. Are you kidding me? I appreciate it for taking the TMNT in a new direction and at least treating them as lethal warriors, but it’s really got nothing interesting going on visually or script-wise. It’s incredibly bland, in my eyes.

So yeah, all due respect to opinions and whatnot, but sometimes you gotta call something ridiculous when you feel strongly about it. As flawed as 07 and the PD films are (I don’t care to ever see them again), I find them to be twice as interesting as Batman v TMNT.
Visually, Batman vs TMNT simply can’t touch either of them. That goes for animation quality, choreography, cinematography, etc. I realize the designs for PD are hated, and the Batman V TMNT ones are certainly better... but they still aren’t rendered better, and they don’t animate smoothly, or do anything interesting, so it doesn’t count for much.

Idk, I find it borderline disrespectful to call it the second best tmnt film, even if most of them do suck, because I find that all the hard work put into the live action films at least amounts to something somewhat interesting, ambitious, and discussion worthy, while this film is just basic Saturday morning material.

I don’t want to die on a hill of defending PD or 07, but I definitely enjoy SOTO more than this film, if nothing else. It just has much more going on. Mental stimulation.

At the end of the day, I’m overreacting, but it was something I wanted to get off my chest. Feel free to critique my points.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #76
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

...AquaParade, did you mean to write your thoughts twice? XD

Anyway, my thoughts: given my not being wild about Rise's direction, combined with my fears about IDW's direction, I felt this was a good breather when it comes to TMNT. While the character designs and story were clearly influenced by both IDW and 2012, the animation style I felt was pretty reminiscent of the 4Kids era, which is a plus in my book, as that era included most of my favorite cartoons anyway, another example being Invader Zim.

I can't give a concrete opinion about whether this is the second best TMNT movie ever made objectively, since I haven't watched all of the TMNT movies, but I can certainly say that, overall, this is up there for my own taste.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

The movie was great and much better than the comic its based on (although I miss Splinter), it took what was wrong or rushed about the comic and improved it greatly.

As for the movie itself it was very good. Lots of great action scenes, easter eggs and fun moments. Loved how each member of the Batman team bonded with a Turtle, Damian was shockingly likeable in this, and I really enjoyed the characterisation of the Turtles in general (since these are technically new Turtles). The overall plot was the same, but it made sense for Shredder to want to become immortal with the Lazarous pits, and Ra's to want to destroy Gotham as usual. Even the villains turning into mutants felt far better in the movie than in the comic and was actually enjoyable.

Was a great film all around. If they do a loose adaption of the second one I'm sure they'll do it much better.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #78
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Agree, there are unsung people who did to their own jobs well. Notable obvious ones being whoever cast the Turtles' actors and those behind the design, creation, and decoration of both lairs. And vehicles.

I'm sure the sound people, editing, etc all did a fine job, along with the character model artists; they may not be pretty, but they were well made for what PD chose to go with.
Exactly, well said!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #79
IMJ
Emperor

I thought it was terrific. Had a smile on my face through most of it, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing with the first Batman/Shredder fight.

Surprisingly good stuff.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:45 AM   #80
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I liked it for the most part. I liked the art style and colour design - some of the recent DC animated movies look a little rushed and unpolished, but I can't complain about this one. I like blue Batman too, and the odd Mignola-like character designs.

How good is Troy Baker BTW?!

It's weird to say, but the end credits were probably my favourite part. Hit me right in my soft nostalgia glands.

Unfortunately, I thought the writing let it down. Not even the plot necessarily; I've read the comic so I knew it wasn't going to be Hamlet exactly, but the dialog was pretty stinky at times. Too many cliche, copy/paste lines, too many DOA jokes, and weird phraseology that lead me to question if the writer was a native English speaker.

You get that a lot nowadays; dialog that is probably supposed to sound hip and quippy, but comes out like it was written by Yoda's dyslexic younger brother.

I will applaud them for pulling off a version of Damian Wayne that I didn't wan't to throw off a roof. He was a twerp, but a pleasantly endearing one for a change.