The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-06-2023, 04:42 AM   #1
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Dark Angel(2000)

Does any else remember this Jessica Alba series?

I do wish this one would get a blu ray release.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Does any else remember this Jessica Alba series?

I do wish this one would get a blu ray release.
I just mentioned this series the other day in an Avatar or James Cameron thread here. I loved it. I have the DVD releases, and while they upscale nicely, they are a far, far cry from today's 4k.

Jessica Alba's acting career has clearly sailed a long time ago, but I routinely wish for a movie to wrap up how season 2 ended. But it seems that we are going to have to be satisfied with the Max Allin Collins novels instead.

I have a modest DA collection as well, and up until last year had a full set of all of the Topps cards with the autographs. I sold the James Cameron for a few grand during the pandemic, but I still have the Jessica Alba auto for sale.

I would love to sit through the show again at some point. It's been years since I watched them.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I remember watching some of this but not continuously. I enjoyed what I watched and figured it'd have a long life. When it didn't, I was less than interested in checking out some unfinished, unsatisfying thing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I remember watching some of this but not continuously. I enjoyed what I watched and figured it'd have a long life. When it didn't, I was less than interested in checking out some unfinished, unsatisfying thing.
I VHS taped every show from the beginning, expecting to love it just from the early word, the dystopian future and James Cameron. And generally that turned out to be true.

And the end of season 2 basically in some ways could stand on it's own to end the series, but not entirely satisfying. It's sort of like the ending to every Underworld movie - there is no satisfying conclusion to any of them unless there is another movie.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:03 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It's sort of like the ending to every Underworld movie - there is no satisfying conclusion to any of them unless there is another movie.
Part 3 was fairly self-contained.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #6
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Oh yes...I heard somewhere that the Creators of Cybersix tried to sue Cameron for plagiarism over this show but gave up because they ran out of money.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Part 3 was fairly self-contained.
I love those Underworld movies too.... so much fun. But like most of the movie franchises I'm into, at this point my excuse to re-watch them is when they hit an upgraded media

I picked up the Underworld 4k boxed set when that was released and plowed through them again. I'd do the same with Dark Angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
Oh yes...I heard somewhere that the Creators of Cybersix tried to sue Cameron for plagiarism over this show but gave up because they ran out of money.
Now that you've said this I have some incredibly vague memory of that.... But hey ma, Cybersix didn't have Jessica Alba in her prime.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I love those Underworld movies too.... so much fun. But like most of the movie franchises I'm into, at this point my excuse to re-watch them is when they hit an upgraded media

I picked up the Underworld 4k boxed set when that was released and plowed through them again. I'd do the same with Dark Angel.
Mmm... I found marathoning the Underworld movies to be very similar to the Resident Evil movies. The first movie is "OK" followed almost immediately by crap, then sooner or later you hit a post-apocalypse, and the lead gets a daughter that is sort of forgotten about. Same same... but different!

I kind of liked what the last Underworld was trying to do, which was world-build a Game of Thrones-like series of families and little intricacies. Maybe too little too late.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:57 PM   #9
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I still enjoy both the Underworld and Resident Evil movies. Even if I have issues pass the first two Underworld and pass the 1st three Resident evil movies.

As for Dark Angel, still mad we only got two seasons. Though I do feel that season 2 felt more like a season 3 or 4 in most series.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
and the lead gets a daughter that is sort of forgotten about.
I think it's sort of implied in the latest movie that the white-haired, phantom/vampire/mystic girl from the Arctic clan is Selene's daughter, all-grown up.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:17 AM   #11
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I remember there was some books that "finished" the TV series but they were not very good to me.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:46 AM   #12
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I started re-watching the series on DVD a couple of days ago. The picture looks good on my new TV, it has been a while since I have watched it.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:12 AM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I remember there was some books that "finished" the TV series but they were not very good to me.
"Skin Game" and "Before the Dawn". There is also an "Eyes Only Classified Dossier" which I have but never got around to reading.

Would really love a complete series Blu-Ray and a Netflix movie wrapping it all up. On that note, the PS2 Dark Angel game is actually pretty good. Basically "God of War" with Max on the streets of Seattle. But the cast did the voice acting and the story plays out like a unique episode of the show to some extent.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:02 PM   #14
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I would love a blu ray release especially since my season 2 disc one is not working.