The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eddie Murphy's best movies from the 80's like Trading Places, Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2, and 48 hours are all required viewing. As well as The Nutty Professor.

Coming to America might very well be the best comedy of all time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Pretty much all of the above: look through an actor/director's filmography on IMDB, recommendations from friends/family, etc.

I was worried you were gonna say you didn't like it.
Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta for the MOTHERFVCKING WIN.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #23
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'd read those books.
Tell me how do you 'read' a picture book? I would like to learn how to read pictures.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #24
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I discover old films by watching them on tv channels or looking up different genres via the Internet.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #25
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Tell me how do you 'read' a picture book? I would like to learn how to read pictures.
Some picture books have words in addition to images.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #26
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was just giving CKD a hard time. Its a part of our e-friendship.

I am curious about the favorite classics of 'dromers thanks to this thread and Robert Osborne passing away.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I dunno... same way guys read certain magazines "for the articles."
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Movies were generally much better prior to the 2000's. There have been some great movies in the last 16 years, but everything is better prior.

This is not even counting classic movies from the 30's-50's. There were also a lot of gems in the 60's and 70's too. Even before the more modern 80's and 90's films.

The young kids of today just don't know what they're missing. It's kind of ironic all the actors prior to the 2000's are unknown to today's young kids.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Movies were generally much better prior to the 2000's. There have been some great movies in the last 16 years, but everything is better prior.

This is not even counting classic movies from the 30's-50's. There were also a lot of gems in the 60's and 70's too. Even before the more modern 80's and 90's films.

The young kids of today just don't know what they're missing. It's kind of ironic all the actors prior to the 2000's are unknown to today's young kids.
That's funny; I feel the exact opposite.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I know a ton. Off the top of my head: State of Grace, Family Enforcer/The Death Collector, A Bronx Tale, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Wannabes (featuring Raymond Serra from TMNT) are all musts. I'll check off the rest from my collection when I get home.

There's also Men of Respect, which isn't that good but is an adaption of Macbeth. So it's interesting if you like Shakespeare.

There's a fun one I like called Innocent Blood- vampire Mob goons- it's hilarious in a twisted way, and a pretty good flick!

Quote:
Friends find out that I've never seen a movie, freak out and loudly berate me with phrases like "What do you mean you've never seen Planet of the Apes!?" or "Dude, EVERYBODY has seen Airplane!" or "You GOTTA see The Fifth Element!"

Then they force me to sit down and watch it with them, and I usually don't like it.

Screw the Fifth Element.

You, sir, are a godless heathen!

Quote:
I lol'ed! Aren't you forgetting comics too?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Playboy(at least my country's edition) actually has some interesting interviews, at least the few issues I've read... at the doctor's waiting room.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
That's funny; I feel the exact opposite.
Really? The 2000's is when movie companies started "playing it safe" and also started running out of ideas, that's why there are now so many remakes or sequels/prequels to old classic movies. Outside of the huge explosion of comic book movies (which are based on already established franchises), there haven't been many breakout new movies in the 2000's.

Think of all the biggest movies of the last 16 years, the bulk of them are either comic book movies, sequels or remakes of old movies, or based on popular books like Harry Potter, etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

I don't watch as many movies and let alone tv shows as most people do, but it seems nowadays there's an overwhelming amount of Marvel and DC live action films, and those films don't appeal me at all. I've never seen so many people claiming to be fans of superheroes outside the big ones(Superman, Batman, Spider-Man) like I do nowadays. It's like Thor stopped being the mythological norse God for people and the first one that people think of is an American superhero who happens to bear the same name as said God.

FWIW, many people nowadays from my observation claim that tv shows are generally better than movies. Maybe it's because shows like Game of Thrones have very high budgets in comparison to shows made 20 years ago?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Besides those, most movies these days are remakes or sequels to old movies. Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Indianna Jones 4, Rambo 4, two new Rocky movies, the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie, the Star Wars prequels, all got remakes/sequels in the 2000's to classic movies. Most of these have been lackluster outside the Rocky Films, Rambo and Mad Max Fury Road.

There's been some new Mission Impossible movies too, those have been mostly good.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Besides those, most movies these days are remakes or sequels to old movies. Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Indianna Jones 4, Rambo 4, two new Rocky movies, the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie, the Star Wars prequels, all got remakes/sequels in the 2000's to classic movies. Most of these have been lackluster outside the Rocky Films, Rambo and Mad Max Fury Road.

There's been some new Mission Impossible movies too, those have been mostly good.
To this day I have only seen the first ever Terminator movie. Same goes for Rocky.
I watched the original Planet of the Apes movie when I was a kid... then again there's lots of remakes/versions of that movie aren't there? I can think of at least a couple.

Star Wars... the Phantom Menace left a bad teste in my mouth and Attack of the Clones was boring as hell. My family rented that movie... first time ever we didn't finish a movie we rented.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Watch all the classic versions of the movies. The modern ones are never as good, the only exceptions being the Planet of the Apes films, the Rocky films, Mad Max Fury Road, and maybe Terminator 3.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Watch all the classic versions of the movies. The modern ones are never as good, the only exceptions being the Planet of the Apes films, the Rocky films, Mad Max Fury Road, and maybe Terminator 3.
Dude I watched the original SW trilogy several times when I was a kid. But have no interest in re-watching those movies nowadays. They're OK for what they are but meh.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #38
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Really? The 2000's is when movie companies started "playing it safe" and also started running out of ideas, that's why there are now so many remakes or sequels/prequels to old classic movies. Outside of the huge explosion of comic book movies (which are based on already established franchises), there haven't been many breakout new movies in the 2000's.
Sequels have always been a thing. Superhero movies were also a thing a while back (albeit not quite as prevalent as today). There's

Quote:
Think of all the biggest movies of the last 16 years, the bulk of them are either comic book movies, sequels or remakes of old movies, or based on popular books like Harry Potter, etc.
That doesn't describe the bulk of Pixar's work (for example Inside Out) or Zootopia; both were really big, original ideas and made within the last 16 years.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Dude I watched the original SW trilogy several times when I was a kid. But have no interest in re-watching those movies nowadays. They're OK for what they are but meh.
The original Star Wars films are the most rewatchable films in existence besides Back to the Future, etc. People rewatch those films hundreds of times. They never get old.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The original Star Wars films are the most rewatchable films in existence besides Back to the Future, etc. People rewatch those films hundreds of times. They never get old.
Good for them but I'm not "people". I'm just an individual. And not every single individual on Earth feels the same way regarding a particular movie franchise.

Tags
cubedbeatsadeadhorse, cubedlearnsaboutgoogle, cubedlearnsaboutimdb, thefifthelementrules