The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Game Collecting and Double Dipping

Do you guys have an interest in video game collecting? Regardless of whether it's a complete collection or not?

For me honestly, even if you don't always have the time to play a game, it's nice to have a decent enough library of them to play whenever you get around to it. It's become something my best friend has gotten me interested for a few years now. I never go for complete collections though, especially for games I have no interest in playing. I've learned never to sell my games or systems again because eventually I ended up missing them and came back for them. Not to mention, you don't get a lot back money-wise by selling them. Some licensed games that may not be looked at to fondly by others were the games that I enjoy and still do like Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage on the SNES and Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures.

Another thing is do you guys like to double dip for games (buying a game twice, likely on another console maybe)? Not often do I do this but it really depends on how much you love a game. In some ways you could see double dipping as if your too lazy to hook up a console to play this one game but I don't see any shame in it.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 11-19-2019 at 07:17 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

I do, but I've been unloading a lot of stuff lately.
I only double dip if it's a game I truly love, and even then normally only if I don't have a system to replay a game on. I've bought the Mega Man series more times than I can recall now.

I'm actually prepping another game event sale right now where I'll be moving a few hundred listings.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Mine's huge, but I'm far from a completionist. I'd never have room for all that. I mostly only buy stuff I plan to actually play - although sometimes it takes a few years to get to it - but I'll occasionally get gifts that are things I'm less-interested in but still grateful to have, they're just usually not things I would have bought for myself.

I do own multiple versions of a few games, but I try hard not to do that. It's usually because the console that plays the original version is broken, and it's just more convenient to get a newer version of the same game than replace the console in that moment.

I only have about half of what I want or still plan to buy, though. I'm still missing a lot of 16-bit era stuff, for example. I doubt I'll ever get rid of anything, although space is generally a concern. But I always regret getting rid of stuff and inevitably get the urge to play it again, and you almost always sell stuff for a loss, anyway. My wife got rid of her Saturn collection a long time ago and has regretted it ever since. Not only does she miss the games, most of them got for $50-100 now but they were definitely not worth even close to that at the time she sold them. She might've gotten a hundred bucks for the whole lot back then, but it would cost over a grand to buy those same games back, now. So we pretty much just don't get rid of stuff, anymore.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

I typically double up only on specific things I'm a really big fan of, especially if there's significant differences between versions. I can see completionists feeling like it's more important to them, though.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Been buying switch games like once a month or so since I got the system, I must own over 50 games.

Own physical copies of all main series Pokémon games.

Have Streets of rage for the sega 1-3. Than I pick it up or the ps3, ps4 and switch on there collections sets. Shining Force 1 I have for the sega, but own 2 for ps3, ps4 because of the Sega collections set.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Been buying switch games like once a month or so since I got the system, I must own over 50 games.

Own physical copies of all main series Pokémon games.

Have Streets of rage for the sega 1-3. Than I pick it up or the ps3, ps4 and switch on there collections sets. Shining Force 1 I have for the sega, but own 2 for ps3, ps4 because of the Sega collections set.
Streets of Rage 2 is my #1 favorite game so I have quite a few copies of it. I do think I own more copies of Pac-Man, though.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

I probably own about 700 videogames through both physical and digital games. I play games for at least 2 hours a day and longer on weekends.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote