The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

IDW TMNT major and minor key issues

I am looking for a list of major and possibly minor key issues for the IDW TMNT. Issues that contain a first appearance, origin, or other historically or artistically important features. All of IDW TMNT, not just the main. Does anything like this exist? I know Turtlepedia, but I am looking for a more streamlined or condensed version.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

IDW is pretty densely packed. That's my only complaint about it. It should really be a weekly series which I have been saying for years now and this will probably happen eventually, if the Dimension X micro happening in August is any indication.

The point I am trying to make is that there aren't really any minor issues. A breakdown with new plot points, characters, and summaries for each issue is justifiable.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The 2012 and 2014 Annuals can maybe be skipped (although they do technically introduce some stuff).

That's about it. Everything else contributes and moves stuff forward.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
IDW is pretty densely packed. That's my only complaint about it. It should really be a weekly series which I have been saying for years now and this will probably happen eventually, if the Dimension X micro happening in August is any indication.

The point I am trying to make is that there aren't really any minor issues. A breakdown with new plot points, characters, and summaries for each issue is justifiable.
Yeah that's why i wrote "possibly" minor issues in the first post. Perhaps the first time there was a collaboration among two specific artists would work as a minor key element. Or maybe the first appearance of a minor character. Just brainstorming here. But back to the original question. Does a list categorizing major/minor elements in IDW TMNT exist?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's not much that can be skipped over, aside from the annuals as Cylon said. The second annual does introduce Renet, but it doesn't really matter since my first intro to IDW's Renet was the Turtles in Time mini and I caught up just fine.

The April/Casey mini is essentially filler with not much happening either.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

If you're looking for an abridged reading list, most of the minis and what not tend to depict relatively trivial events. Some of them though, like the Raph and Hun Micros, have to be read to understand certain things (Seriously, the main series never explains how Hun beefed up so quickly, you have to read his micro to get an explaination). As for the main series? Much harder to shave it down. You can skip the Christmas issue and maybe the phony negotiation between Shreder and Krang, but it's pretty lacking in straight up filler or standalone issues, it's really tightly written.

Still, that's part of what I love about it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Wyrm issue was also technically a filler issue, assuming Wyrm doesn't ever return. Felt like a nice nod to the Archie Wyrm and that's all.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The 2012 and 2014 Annuals can maybe be skipped (although they do technically introduce some stuff).

That's about it. Everything else contributes and moves stuff forward.
Perhaps a reference list doesn't exist because there is not solid criteria for determining major and minor key elements. And to a fan everything could be major. Would you say B&RDE #3 to be a key issue, minor or major?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Wyrm issue was also technically a filler issue, assuming Wyrm doesn't ever return. Felt like a nice nod to the Archie Wyrm and that's all.
I really enjoyed that issue!

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Like our fellows dromers have said, it's pretty hard to skip some things even the Micro's play a role in the Main narrative ( far later down the line mind you)

Mikey's Micro takes the longest to be referenced again so you could possibly skip that. April & Casey's Micro take place at the same time as issue 13 and they pay off immediately after they're done. Baxter's could potentially be skipped but it offers great insight to the character. The meeting between Shredder and Krang can be skipped so long as you've read Secret History of the Foot Clan.
And the Christmas issue is a fun one shot that won't hurt you if you skipped over it but then again why would you?

A lot of the villian Micro's take place at the same time as City Fall and offer behind the scene things happening in the city.

Last edited by Technogeek29; 05-19-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #10
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I don't see why you would want to skip any issues, personally. Even the April & Casey miniseries is worth one read-through (although you might need to pour yourself a stiff drink afterwards).
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I may have worded my original post poorly but i am sure i never used the word "skip." I thought "keys" was a common term in the comic book world. Oh well.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I may have worded my original post poorly but i am sure i never used the word "skip." I thought "keys" was a common term in the comic book world. Oh well.
Oh is it? I was not aware
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
You did and yes "keys" is a term used widely in comic book collecting.

We can set up a list of keys wiyh a little help from Turtlepedia and list it chronlogical by series. Issues which are first appearances or important events.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
You did and yes "keys" is a term used widely in comic book collecting.

We can set up a list of keys wiyh a little help from Turtlepedia and list it chronlogical by series. Issues which are first appearances or important events.
That sounds cool dude. Someone that was feeling particularly ambitious could copy&paste ToTheNines (with his approval) chronological timeline. Then some info could just be added briefly detailing events. Such as the notes on a CGC graded label. I was hoping a categorized list already existed though because I am not needing another project. Thats why I created this thread. I might eventually get around to it though if no one else finds a task like this to be fun and attractive. I think a list like this could be a wonderful resource.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 05-20-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
The meeting between Shredder and Krang can be skipped so long as you've read Secret History of the Foot Clan.
And the Christmas issue is a fun one shot that won't hurt you if you skipped over it but then again why would you?
Well, I mean...even that's pretty important since it creates a lot of the motivations for Shredder being willing to attacking Burnow (after Donatello asks, of course)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #16
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Well, I mean...even that's pretty important since it creates a lot of the motivations for Shredder being willing to attacking Burnow (after Donatello asks, of course)
Yeah but you won't lose why Shredder and Krang hate it each other. Shredder cossed him in the past and Krang holds a grudge. But it is the first appearance of Bludgeon and the reappearance of Koya so there's that.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #17
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Issue's and key appearances so far (Note I'm doing only major one's that play into the narrative

#1 first appearance of Old Hob, Lindsey, April O'neil, Stockman, Chet, Turtles, Splinter, Arnold, Casey
#2 Reveal of origin story for IDW First appearance of Foot Clan
#3 Insight to Raphael's year long separation
#4 First fight with all four Turtles
#5 First appearance of Yoshi, Saki, Shen and last piece of the Origin story
#Micro Raphael First appearance of Alopex, Rocksteady and Bebop
#Micro Micehlangelo First appearance of Kara
#6 First appearance of Savate prelude to City Fall first appearance of
Mousers
#Micro Donatello First appearance of Harold
#7 First appearance of Woody, Granitor and Traag first appearance of Dimension X
#8 Turtles meet April (sorta)
#Micro Leonardo First confrontation with Foot Clan
#9 First appearance of Karai
#10 Saki and Yoshi reunion first appearance of 2nd Time around
#Splinter Micro origin story of Yoshi
#11 First appearance of Angel and Purple Dragons
#12 First confrontation with Shredder
#Micro Fugitoid Orgin of Professor Honeycutt
#Casey Micro Orgin of Casey
#April Micro first appearance of Slash
#13 Casey moves in with Turtles
#14 Shredder reveals plans of Leonardo to join his army. First appearance of Neutrino's
#TMNT Annual First appearance of Brooklyn
#15 Turtles fight with Slash
#16 Leonardo "kills" Slash, Hob recruits Slash
SHOTFC Origin story of Saki and first appearance of Kitsune and Dr. Miller
#17 Reveal of Fugitoid, first appearance of Zak, Kala and Dask
#18 First appearance of Princess Trib, King Zenter and Queen Gizzla
#19 Karai steals Mutagen from Burnow Island
#20 Turtles first fight against Krang, Krang leaves with Fugitoid
#21 Foot find Kitsune resting place
#Alopex Micro Alopex origin revealed
#Krang Micro Krang origin revealed
#Stockman Micro Stockman origin revealed first appearance of Flyborgs
#22 Leonardo is kidnapped
#23 Leonardo is brainwashed
#Hob Micro Hob Origin revealed
#24 Turtles vs Leonardo
#Karai Micro Origin of Karai
#Bebop & Rocksteady Origin of Bebop and Rocksteady
#25 Casey and April start dating first apperance of Koya
#Hun Micro Arnold origin revealed
#26 Splinter and Hob blow up Stockgen, Foot Clan take over city
#27 Casey vs Hun
#28 Turtles vs Bebop & Rocksteady, flee from city Alopex betrayl
#Shredder Micro insight to Shredder's time when he was sealed
#29 first appearance of Northampton, first appearance of John & Elizabeth O'neil
#Utrom Empire 1 history of Utrom's is revealed, first appearance of Triceratons, first appearance of Zog, Qaunin, Lorqa,
#30 Leonardo meets Teng Shen first appearance of Koya (mutated)
#Utrom Empire 2 rebellion of races against the Utrom's
#31 First fight with Koya, first appearance of Foot Assassins
#32 Turtles leave Northampton Alopex stays
#33 Casey and Hun final fall out
#TMNT Annual 2
#34 First appearance of Metal head and Nobody Hob kidnaps Lindsey
#35 first appearance of Pigeon Pete Slash takes psychotropic serum
#36 first appearance of Rat king
#37 Krang and Shredder declare War, Kitsune posses Alopex
#Turtles in time 1 First appearance of Pepperoni, inspire's Utrom's to make Triceratons
#Turtles in Time 2 Turtles meet Yoshi & Shen, Leonardo unknowingly sets things into motion for future events
#Turtles in Time 3 First appearance of Leatherhead
#Turtles in Time 4 First appearance of Future Donatello, Future Woody prelude to Assault on Burnow Island
#38 First appearance of Herman, Mondo Mighty Mutanimals first official appearance
#39 fight with Bebop and Rocksteady Alopex and Angel team up
#40 Casey now works for 2nd time around, Gang defeats Bebop & Rocksteady Donatello has secret meeting with Foot
#41 Don teams up with Foot, Technorome is operational
TMNT Ghostbusters #1 First appearance of Chi-You
(all can be summed up as Turtles fight Chi-You)
#42 Begin assault on Burnow Island
#43 Mutanimals betray Splinter, Donatello betrays Shredder, Stockman betrays Krang...I'm sensing a pattern
#44 Krang is defeated in put into Custody Shredder is defeated and carried off by Stockman Donatello falls in battle
#45 Donatello's conscious is transferred into Metal Head
#46 Insight to other members of the Pantheon, Dr. Miller is assassinated
Casey & April Micro 1-4 insight to Pantheon first appearance of Aka
Mighty Mutanimals 1-4 first appearance of Sally, Ray, Seymour and Lady Null insight to Lindsey's past
#47 Casey fights Hun and becomes a vigilante again,
#48 Hun and Hob team up Karai forms truce with the Turtles
#49 Leatherhead helps Fugitoid, preview to gauntlet
#50 Final confrontation with Shredder Michelangelo leaves the team
#51 first appearance of Street Phantoms, Winter, Jennika and Darius Dunn April confronts Kitsune first appearance of Dark Water
#52 Foot HQ under attack Michelangelo joins Mutanimals
#53 Michelangelo finds Hob's armory Darius declares war on the Foot
#54 Michelangelo fights Hun Slash leaves the Mutanimals first Appearance of Bishop and E.P.A.
#55 April and Casey falling out, Turtles reunite with Michelangelo Alopex is losing to Kitsune's mind games
#56 Turtles meet Leatherhead, Rat king and Kitsune conspire for annual meeting in the future Utrom council is murder Fugitoid is destroyed
#57 Leatherhead's intentions revealed first appearance of Ch'rell
#58 Leatherhead past revealed, returns to NYC with TMNT foot HQ under siege by Kitsune
#59 Events from end of issue 58 are expanded
#60 Kitsune flees Michelangelo comes to Foot HQ Splinter possesses Saki's skull.
#61 Splinter declares war on Street Phantoms Harold is kidnapped by Street Phantoms
#62 Splinter openly conspire's against the Turtles, more insight to Harold's past and Darius Casey joins Purple Dragons
#63 Turtles begin assault on Dun Inc.
#64 Splinter slays Darius, Turtles leave the Foot, Harold breaks ties with the Hamato Clan
TMNT Universe 1-5 first fight with E.P.A. first appearance of Zodi Turtles meet Lady Null April and Baxter team up
Bebop & Rocksteady destroy everything 1-5 first appearance of Anchovi, Savanti Romero and Timelords, fate of Bebop and Rocksteady guest appearance of Mirage TMNT learn that Renet is a singlarity in the Multiverse
#65 Christmas issue
#TMNTU 6 First appearance of Wyrm
#TMNTU 7 Donatello rebuilds Metal Head Metal head retains some of Don's conscious and is dubbed "Metal Don
# TMNTU 8 Metal Don erases all emotions from his system and flees to parts unknown
#66 Alopex fight for control over Kitsune's influence, Raphael reveals he likes Alopex
#67 E.P.A captures Slash and uses him to attack and capture the Mutanimals
#68 Hob and the Turtles join forces, Bishop's past teased, Ray creates opening for Mondo and Sally to escape.
#69 First appearance of Bishop Sr. Turtles and Mutanimals team up Hob holds Bishop Sr. hostage
#TMNTU 9 First appearance of Toad Barron more insight to the annual meeting between the Pantheon. First TMNTU not to star the Turtles
Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #18
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

This isn't perfect and just a light summary of events as I could expand details of certain issue's.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
This isn't perfect and just a light summary of events as I could expand details of certain issue's.
Thanks dude, good start. I think the less detailed the better. If it gets to expanded it would lose the point I am after I think. Just a quick reference list of major/minor key appearances and major events things like that. I hope I can have time to take this project and run with it. I do notice Nightbug needs added. Thanks again dude.

Something kind of like this xmen list would be pretty good I think.
http://www.keyissuecomics.com/2013/1...t-one.html?m=1

Last edited by TurtleWA; 05-23-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i definitely wouldn't say the 2012 Annual is "skippable".

that was where we really got introduced to the gang at the Skara Brae Bar.

in particular is Angel's father.

plus it's a really good Raph/Casey buddy story for the IDW universe.