The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: How Do You Learn?
visual-spatial 2 50.00%
linguistic-verbal 1 25.00%
interpersonal 0 0%
intrapersonal 0 0%
Logical-mathematical 1 25.00%
musical 0 0%
bodily-kinesthetic 0 0%
naturalistic 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

How's your brain wired?

The topic of synesthesia (people can taste music, for example) came up in one of my classes, and it made me wonder: how do you guys prefer to learn? What are you good at? In short: what are you wired for? Or are you someone blessed with synesthesia? Do you even believe any of this?

I feel like I'm a linguistic-logical kind of guy, myself. There's bits of spatial and intrapersonal in there. However, I never really understand something unless I actually *do* it a number of times.

How about you?

Here's a link about the theory, in case you want more information.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Based on the theory in the link, I would say that I fall into Interpersonal Intelligence or Linguistic-Verbal Intelligence since I tend to learn new information most easily with audio, tend to be a solver of conflicts in group settings and I regularly give public speeches of the emotional and motivational variety.

Additionally, in the more traditional left-right brain classification, I would be seen as being more stronger on the right side since I love artsy stuff while hating mathematics.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:09 AM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Which is the one that makes a person preoccupied with wontons, boobs, and video games?

I'll be That One.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:19 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Voted logical-mathematical. But I'm admittedly not super good at math (I was decent, once... but helping my daughter with like algebra II... useless -- its vacated my brain for lack of use in 21 years). But I can add up simple things (this example of craziness plus that example of craziness plus the other 20 ones probably = bad juju).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Took a look at the link, also decided why not take the test too, came up Intrapersonal, from the descriptions I don't really disagree. Some aspects of interpersonal too.
Anything that isn't mathematical
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

The quiz says "Visual-Spatial", and I guess that sounds about right, but I found the quiz very flawed. There were several questions where I would have preferred to choose two or more answers and others where I would have said "None of the above".

I think I and many people might be too complicated to box in that way. But eh. I kind of figured I might fit that descriptor just as a guess, but I'unno. I wouldn't necessarily make a career choice based on it.

For example it says I ought'a be good with directions, and as my wife can tell you, that's absolute bullsh*t. I get lost going in a circle.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
The quiz says "Visual-Spatial", and I guess that sounds about right, but I found the quiz very flawed. There were several questions where I would have preferred to choose two or more answers and others where I would have said "None of the above".

I think I and many people might be too complicated to box in that way. But eh. I kind of figured I might fit that descriptor just as a guess, but I'unno. I wouldn't necessarily make a career choice based on it.

For example it says I ought'a be good with directions, and as my wife can tell you, that's absolute bullsh*t. I get lost going in a circle.
Yeah I found with one or two that I sat choosing or another that I just picked the closest to.
Same here with the directions.

I kinda giggled that mine included 'Excellent Self Awareness' given I am posting my results as me on here .. but then I am aware of this

Last edited by newfan; 10-15-2020 at 06:32 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

I think I have excellent self-awareness but absolutely no f*cks to give, which some people say expresses a lack of self-awareness.

People are very complex little creatures.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Absolutely. This is a theory that's passed around a lot of education seminars. It's one of the more popular ones, though. I like it because it gets the class out of rote memorization and the drudgery of routine.

That being said, I don't know of many people who fit neatly into one category.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Definitely a mix, skeptical of such divided categories.

Quiz hit on the Intrapersonal Intelligence which is definitely a major one. But also a lot of the visual-spatial as well, the logical, problem solving side of the Logical-Mathematical (forget the math part) and the written language parts of the Linguistic-Verbal (not much of a talker and recall of verbal stuff isn't great, more of a hands on learner). And some wannabe Naturalistic Intelligence at heart.

I do not have synesthesia, though knew an older guy on a forum years ago who had it. He made handcrafted wood flutes for a living and in his case he could see colors with sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Likewise. Actual maps aren't too bad since having visuals are good, but that's not very effective if driving and my mental road map is terrible. I'm always drawing a blank when people are trying to tell me where a place is around here. I'm good for nearby or places I've driven to enough, but outside of that forget it. I get annoyed if someone tries to tell me a route with too many turns... just give me the most direct path, else I'm not going to remember this. (And then I'll still go online to sort it out first.)

Hell, it took me quite a while to realize the road that goes across a nearby overpass was the highway... I never really noticed that part of the highway crosses one.

I can visualize stuff quite well, but for whatever reason roads and how they connect just doesn't connect the dots.

Mom was trying to tell me recently some other way to go to a store I'm covering for my supervisor right now, and my reactions was... why would I even got that way? Wasn't until we went that way to a shopping center near there that it clicked that that round about way comes out near there. lol Still prefer the other simpler route though.

Clearly I was not a migratory bird or a nomad in a prior life.

For these reasons the street view maps with actual images are a godsend. Doubt I'm the only one who has done a dry run that way and plot the good landmarks.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-15-2020 at 01:05 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I think I am somewhat of a mix, but mostly visual, intrapersonal, and linguistic. I learn by seeing, doing, and hearing best. Also, unlike many here have admitted, I actually AM good with directions, in that I am good at using maps, finding my way, and not getting lost. Giving directions is another story.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The irony of life, one of those who doesn't drive is the one who is great at directions and not getting lost. lol But having a great navigator in the passenger seat is very valuable to others of us.

I'll do better someday when cars have screens in their windshields and can display one of those quest helper arrows like some of the MMO games.

Is anyone like me where they suck at math but did better with geometry because of the visual elements?
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
As a matter of fact, yes! Also, I haven't always been without car, but I can say that even when I had one, I could always find my way around even going to places I'd never been, and have always been good at not only navigating to new places, but at finding the best routes in areas I'm familiar with, even when wandering in wooded or otherwise undeveloped areas. Like when my parents would take me camping, I often went out roaming/hiking on my own, while they were out fishing or riding motorcycles during the day. And I never lost my way or had any trouble finding game trails that were not used by people to navigate my way around, no matter how rough or rugged the terrain. Even with gorges, rocky cliffs and thick woods, I was never lost or had trouble finding my way around. I just used the land itself as my compass and map! (I think I might actually be part fae, like I've always suspected that the reason my mom's side of the family are all so short and fair, is that the Irish in us has some leprechaun blood in there somewhere, so maybe that came out stronger in me? Just a theory....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
Mayhem
Mad Scientist

Everything except interpersonal. Yes, I'm a sociopath at heart
Old 10-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
Sumac
Foot Elite

All those attempts to put people into strict categories are so stupid. It seems like these theories are just a way to some scientists to waste government money.

Also,
Quote:
Naturalistic intelligence is the most recent addition to Gardner’s theory and has been met with more resistance than his original seven intelligences.

According to Gardner, individuals who are high in this type of intelligence are more in tune with nature and are often interested in nurturing, exploring the environment and learning about other species. These individuals are said to be highly aware of even subtle changes to their environments.

Your strengths include:

Strong focus in subjects such as botany, biology and zoology
Categorizing and cataloging information easily
May enjoy camping, gardening, hiking and exploring the outdoors
Connects outside topics to nature...
...which is complete ********, since I like to either sleep, listen to music, read or play games on my own. The only thing this got right is my ability to catalogue information.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, frankly I think this kinda "science" is about as accurate as cold-reading. As in, throw enough darts in the air and you're bound to hit something eventually. But that's about it.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I find these kinds of topics interesting -- and in particular I bet many intraspective types do -- but definitely with a grain of salt. Probably works more to take something as just the predominate skill set and approach to life aided by an additional mix of traits from other groups that fill out the whole person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I could always find my way around even going to places I'd never been
What is this witchcraft?? lol Very fortunate skill to have.

Me, I'm just fortunate to have a supervisor who understands I don't and can relate to that when it comes to asking me to cover additional locations. lol
Old 10-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Where is the interest option? I find that if I'm interested in a subject I'm more likely to learn about it, regardless of how it's taught.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
am i cucking this right?