The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #41
Powder
So tired of this place

For a time, my avatar was that of a Japanese girl (pop star Kyary Pamyu Pamyu) & during that period a good 3-4 people made remarks about me being a girl.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:16 AM   #42
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Most people have figured out I'm British when I'm in the US. Had someone think I was Canadian, or Australian once.

Funniest time was in a bagel shop in Long Island, and overheard my accent, and thought I was putting it on had to convince them that yes, I was actually British
Old 09-30-2017, 03:19 AM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
For a time, my avatar was that of a Japanese girl (pop star Kyary Pamyu Pamyu) & during that period a good 3-4 people made remarks about me being a girl.
I had a K pop girl(BoA) as my avatar once, but no one thought I was a girl at the time. A couple of users asked me what her name was though since they found her good looking.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #44
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I've been asked several times if I'm Scottish, the most condescending one was a guy at one of my old jobs said "please don't be Scottish. You're freckled ginger, you'd be a walking stereotype" Which he said right after name introductions, classy. The funniest one was when I was studying in UK and I was walking to my apartment wearing tartan colors. A large Scottish guy with a super heavy accent stopped me for a chat and when I told him I wasn't Scottish but I did have Scottish ancestry that was a part of the Gunpowder Plot he got really excited about it.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #45
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I never understood why so many strangers or people you meet for the first time always ask you your nationality. It's like they're trying to judge you in case you're part of a race they have a bias against or something.

Every time I've started a new job or went somewhere I've never been before, I always get asked, "What are you? What's your nationality?" Like...why the hell do you care? I'm white, isn't that enough? Do I have to give you my whole backstory?

It's actually an annoying question. If I wasn't white I'd probably be even more annoyed by people constantly asking, "What are you?" WTF do you care?
You are seriously the only white person I've ever heard of with this problem.

Or anyone really, besides those that actually look like a curious mix of heritage.

You live in a hotbed capital of genealogy of the U.S. or something? Everyone there obsessed with it?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

I live in New York so yes being white makes me "stand out" a bit. Most of my jobs actually do not have many white people. Mostly consisting of either hispanics, indians, blacks, asians, etc.

Most of the time I'm the only white guy there, so that's probably why i get asked.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #47
ToTheNines
[sic]

You're also weird as all fu**, so that might have something to do with it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #48
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I live in New York so yes being white makes me "stand out" a bit. Most of my jobs actually do not have many white people. Mostly consisting of either hispanics, indians, blacks, asians, etc.

Most of the time I'm the only white guy there, so that's probably why i get asked.
Now I think I see where you're coming from.

My high school had a good mix of races when I started out, but the white kids seemed to be on their way out every year I was in the school. In one of my classes in freshman year, this black girl asked a white girl if she was Puerto Rican. Of course she wasn't. So I guess sometimes minorities can't believe they have a white person wherever they are.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sometimes it seems like whites are becoming the minority in New York, at least around the Queens or Manhattan areas. There's a lot of Russian Jews around here, but that's about it. All the white business executives who work in Manhattan are about the only exception or in wall street.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #50
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

So basically you're a unicorn.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #51
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Be it mistaken nationality or otherwise, I will get asked "Where you from?" Once I was even asked "You're not from here, are you?"

I will ask if it is because of my accent, and usually they'll nod their heads. (I guess I don't sound very Southern.)

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #52
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah perhaps they're trying to know if CyberCubed is an alien or something. And I don't mean alien in the immigration sense.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

I generally rarely work in jobs with white people. Everyone is always mixed. Only a few whites are the 50-60+ year olds who have been working there since like the 80's or something and never left their jobs and are all supervisors/managers now.

I guess some of you don't realize how culturally diverse New York is? People don't really view others by their races here, it's almost impossible given everyone is something else.

I don't know how things are down south, but up here in the educated north where people treat each with dignity and respect, there is mutual understanding here. I mean sure you'll see some racist people from time to time, but it's rare unless you're talking about 60+ year old coots who remember 1950's America.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #54
Prowler
Emperor

I was starting to miss CyberCubed the Democrat.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #55
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not even gonna touch that one.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #56
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I always get a little Norman Bates vibe from Cubed. TV show Bates.

I actually think Stryker’s dad works with him at the airport. I must investigate further if he is one of so few white guys there. Not too hard to figure him out.
Next time we fly up I may speak.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #57
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post

I actually think Stryker’s dad works with him at the airport. I must investigate further if he is one of so few white guys there. Not too hard to figure him out.
Cubed is TSA?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:57 AM   #58
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I was asked if I spoke English last time I was in London. I guess I look like I don't.

Other Australians sometimes mistake me for an American, or someone who has lived there at some point, which I haven't. I'm not 100% sure why, but my guess is; my voice is in a pretty low register and I don't speak very loudly, so I over-enunciate when I'm in even slightly noisy environments in order to be understood. If I talk loudly without doing this, I sound too aggressive and people put their guard up.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 AM   #59
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Cubed is TSA?
Not unless he’s changed jobs.

Stryker’s dad knows everyone though.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #60
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post

Wait what. Talk about a small world, huh? O_o

...but how can you be so sure both work for the same company?

Please, let it remain a mystery. DOn't ruin CC's aura