The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
mikey see
Mad Scientist

vintage accessory help

Little help please. I've been working on completing my childhood figures and I'm realizing I don't actually know a ton about some of this stuff. Ha! We need a Mark Bellomo book for this line.

Anyway, a couple questions.
  • in the attached pic the throwing stars on the bottom are slightly smaller and have rounded tips. those are what I'm familiar with. what's the deal with the larger pointier stars on the top? My first thought was the larger ones were from re-releases but these all came in a small lot with three soft heads and two hard heads so I'm guessing it's probably a childhood collection. Also, the lighting makes it look like they're different shades of plastic but they're both the same brown that's consistent with the '88 figures.
  • what's the difference between Shredder's sword and Leonardo's? They look the same from the pics on tmnttoys.com but those are only so helpful. Are they the same sword?
  • how many bugs did Scumbug come with? that same site says 5 but most figures listed as complete seem to only have four and I can't tell from any sealed pics.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-11-13 09.41.12.jpg (87.0 KB, 16 views)
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I think you're right about the stars, but can't say for sure. The darker orange (brown?) looks like the same color the original 88 toys came with. As for the swords, I'm looking at my Leo and Shredder swords, they look identical. I don't see a different at all.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
I think you're right about the stars, but can't say for sure. The darker orange (brown?) looks like the same color the original 88 toys came with. As for the swords, I'm looking at my Leo and Shredder swords, they look identical. I don't see a different at all.
Cool, thanks very much. So I guess I shouldn't count these throwing stars towards completing my vintage figures unless somebody else has any insight.

Where's Mikey0 when you need him?
Old 11-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Those stars came with a number of figures. Didn't they also come with the storage shell figures?
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Cool, thanks very much. So I guess I shouldn't count these throwing stars towards completing my vintage figures unless somebody else has any insight.

Where's Mikey0 when you need him?
The first four ninja stars were either included with Raphael, Michelangelo, Shredder or Leonardo.

The second to the bottom ninja star is from Splinter.

The bottom ninja stars came with Donatello.

The throwing stars that came with both the 1st and 2nd release soft heads should be similar in size and color to the ones released with the hard heads from the very late 80s and early 90s. I am not sure about the weapon racks from the 1994 and 1998 re-releases.

Both Leonardo and Shredder come with the Kama sword. Leo’s Katana sword is different from the regular sword Shredder comes with.

Transformerland lists 4 bugs that came with Scumbug, but I have seen complete Scumbugs online with 5 bugs. There is a Scumbug black boot variant, so it is possible that there are a few mint on card Scumbug figures with 5 bugs. It’s very hard to see how many bugs come with a carded Scumbug. I will continue to do research on my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Those stars came with a number of figures. Didn't they also come with the storage shell figures?
Yes, the Storage Shell turtles did come with ninja stars. Mikey See’s ninja stars were all attached to weapon racks. Mikey See does not have the ninja stars from Storage Shell figures.

Look at the photos attached to Mikey See’s post and the ninja stars here:

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52040/

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52047/

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52054/

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52061/

Last edited by mikey0; 11-14-2020 at 10:36 AM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
They did but the plastic used for those accessories were much more orange. Otherwise yeah, they're the same as the smaller rounded stars (minus sprue marks I guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The first four ninja stars were either included with Raphael, Michelangelo, Shredder or Leonardo.

The second to the bottom ninja star is from Splinter.

The bottom ninja stars came with Donatello.

The throwing stars that came with both the 1st and 2nd release soft heads should be similar in size and color to the ones released with the hard heads from the very late 80s and early 90s. I am not sure about the weapon racks from the 1994 and 1998 re-releases.

Both Leonardo and Shredder come with the Kama sword. Leo’s Katana sword is different from the regular sword Shredder comes with.

Transformerland lists 4 bugs that came with Scumbug, but I have seen complete Scumbugs online with 5 bugs. There is a Scumbug black boot variant, so it is possible that there are a few mint on card Scumbug figures with 5 bugs. It’s very hard to see how many bugs come with a carded Scumbug. I will continue to do research on my end.

Yes, the Storage Shell turtles did come with ninja stars. Mikey See’s ninja stars were all attached to weapon racks. Mikey See does not have the ninja stars from Storage Shell figures.

Look at the photos attached to Mikey See’s post and the ninja stars here:

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52040/

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52047/

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52054/

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/...e-shell/52061/
There's the thorough Mikey0 input I was hoping for. Thank you sir. So the pointier stars are known to have come with the vintage line figures? And how does Shredder's katana differ from Leo's? It's hard to tell in sealed examples but they look identical. And cool, I think I'm going to consider Scumbug complete with 4 bugs. Tmnttoys.com is a great and helpful resource but there are definitely some inaccuracies. I'm going to assume that the five bugs listed there is one such error.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
There's the thorough Mikey0 input I was hoping for. Thank you sir. So the pointier stars are known to have come with the vintage line figures? And how does Shredder's katana differ from Leo's? It's hard to tell in sealed examples but they look identical. And cool, I think I'm going to consider Scumbug complete with 4 bugs. Tmnttoys.com is a great and helpful resource but there are definitely some inaccuracies. I'm going to assume that the five bugs listed there is one such error.
I’m happy the information is helpful to you. Thanks for reading.

I did not realize it before, but Shredder’s sword and Leonardo’s katana swords are the same. Leo’s katana blades are closer to the color brown than Shredder’s sword. Loose katana swords sometimes have a bent blade, whereas a few children of the 80s and 90s chewed the bottom of Shredder’s sword. Shredder’s sword in orange red was included with the 1993 Toon Shredder.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote