The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

How the heck is Ultimate Spider-Man rated that high? Seriously, that show is garbage.

But yeah, I do agree that Spectacular Spider-Man has to be the best Spidey cartoon by far. The 90's series is decent, but pretty overrated, imo.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

We need a definitive show like Avengers was for well...the Avengers.

I also view X-men Evolution was the definitive X-men show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
We need a definitive show like Avengers was for well...the Avengers.

I also view X-men Evolution was the definitive X-men show.
I just wish they would do a good quality, long lasting spider-man show.
It seems like Spider-man and marvel in general gets the short end of the stick when it comes to cartoons.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 AM   #24
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I almost agree with this. I was always a hugh 90s spidy fanboy show and LOVED the fact the X-men crossed in to the show for a 2 part episode, but then I watched Spectacular Spider-man and that became my fav, It's so good, I love the way it takes a lot of material from the Stan Lee and Steve Ditko stories, and in the end I loved the simple animation style.

I would have put the 90s show in 2nd place however, and Ultimate spider-man in 3rd (avoids rotten tomatoes) I hated Ultimate Spidy to start with, but gave it another chance and for the most part enjoyed it.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I just wish they would do a good quality, long lasting spider-man show.
It seems like Spider-man and marvel in general gets the short end of the stick when it comes to cartoons.
This is very true. Spidey gets the short end of the stick on everything, in both reality and in the very comics. His story ought to be the easiest bloody thing to convey from begining to end, but unfortunatly it rarely manifests in a competant narrative because everyone involved in the creative process can't think past a certain point with the character, resulting in a jumbled and confusing strand of continuity problems. Marvel being locked in an internal civil war over their preferences for the characters doesnt help (newspaper strip writers prefer him married and keep him that way, the regular comic writers do not and do their own thing regardless of how lousy and shallow they make the characters look as a result).

The 90s series may be overrated and significantly dated now, but at least you got to see Peter grow up as it went along and cope with so many different things which helped build up his character and test his resolve, culminating in a fantastic pay-off where he saves all of reality and gets Stan Lee's blessing. If Spider-Girl is the definitive legacy and Spider-Man 2099 is the definitive future, then Spider-Wars was as close as you'll ever get to a definitive ending for the franchise. It's note perfect.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 05-01-2014 at 03:50 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #26
sdp
Megan Fox = April

My favorite Spider-Man series is definitely TAS, it gets shat on a lot on the internet but most of the things are because it's a product of its time. The choppy animation but tolerable since the stories are good. The dialog can be bad but it's more than tolerable. The show just feels epic and the definitive Spiderman cartoon. Through it's seasons it told a story and upped the ante. and the finale was just great, people who whine about open endings are terrible, I'd rather have one like that than what TDKRises did. I didn't like their version of Electro and it's missing Sandman but other than that it gave us a "complete" version of the Spidey mythos. Loved the art style, peter being a college student and the fact that it was in continuity with all the other 90s Marvel shows.

Spectacular Spiderman is truly amazing and overall a better show but it can't be the definitive version since it only tells a small part of the spiderman mythos. I especially loved how the romance in the show, it was handled really well. The art style grows on you and it's a shame it got cancelled.

Spider-man Unlimited, has some pretty neat ideas but overall it's not a great show, it lacked better writing, it's vague continuity with TAS hurts it as well. They nailed the future setting though it was dark and interesting, the villians weren't as fun though, I think that hurt it a lot. I also liked the "comic book" style they went for, in fact it made me wish of a whole show based on that style of peters life before he went to the future.

MTV's Spider-Man is definitely a weird show, and not because of the art style, I personally loved the cel shading look it had. Even though it was tied to the more "realistic" movie which limited what they could do in the show in terms of realism it still gave us pretty great villains, The show was filled with sex references IIRC because of the channel it was on and it felt fine, they were definitely aiming for an older audience with the show and ironically the plots/writing was simpler than many TAS series episodes many episodes were just boring. It had great ideas though, I really liked the character Indira "Indy" Daimonji from the show, she was great and would've loved to have seen her in another incarnation of Spiderman and not forgotten. I think the show is good enough to be considered in continuity with the movies as it was meant to, while not an excellent show it had good ideas and it's not any worse than the movies.

I watched the new Spiderman show on Disney once and I normally try to give cartoons a chance, I don't dismiss them too quickly and thought the internet was probably overreacting, but after that one episode I had no intention to watch this or the other Disney shows which seemed similar to this one.

Spiderman and his Amazing friends, I've only watched a few episodes here and there and while it's decent for its era I don't understand all the praise it gets, it's a good for its time show at best. I don't see how the internet can praise this show and yet criticize the 90s show.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
and the finale was just great, people who whine about open endings are terrible, I'd rather have one like that than what TDKRises did. I didn't like their version of Electro and it's missing Sandman
I smell a batman hater

Also I am pretty sure the show had the Sandman in it. I just recently re-watched it.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

On average, DC's cartoons are better than Marvel's, so it doesn't surprise me there aren't many good Spiderman shows.

DC has Batman: TAS, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League/JLU, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Brave and the Bold, and others.

Superfriends, Teen Titans Go, The Batman, and Beware the Batman were the only ones not as good as the others. And The Batman at least had some real hidden gems.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #29
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
Jeez, Z, you guys are lucky. I'd heard something about the entire 90's series being available in the UK. I was hoping for a complete set over here this Summer to coincide with Amazing Spider-Man II but no dice. Maybe one of these days...
Yeah, that is really disappointing to me, as well. It is my favorite of the Spidey cartoons that I've SEEN. (Which is IT, Amazing Friends, and some of Unlimited, basically.) My placing it on top though is not merely nostalgia, as I have watched episodes on you-tube over the last few years, and they still hold up as great Spidey stories. I also loved the crossing-over that occurred with X-Men, and how both series were based in the same continuity, even sometimes referencing each other. He even appeared (briefly) in the X-Men's own show during the Phoenix Saga! That's a testament to how careful and attentive the writers were on that show. Very few plot holes, stories tied into each other throughout the series, and villains and side characters all had their own problems and stories going on. It was rich in lore and history, which is more than I can say for some of the other shows.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Spectacular Spider-man And TAS were both great. I would have TAS slightly higher only because the ending was so damn perfect. Peter grew, developed, got the symbiote suit, lost it, got married, lost his wife, did the whole Secret Wars thing, saved the Universe and got MJ back (not having to make a stupid deal with Mephisto helps too). Spectacular Spider-man ended on a cliffhanger right? It OWNS in terms of animation though(Only watched half of the second season so I dunno.)
Unlimited sucks. The original Spider-man is hilarious, but in a charming sort of way.
Spider-man and Friends is actually really entertaining. And Ultimate Spider-man is meh. I like the designs and animation, but not much else.

Tags
spider-man