The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #41
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I know this is a month and a half late reaction, but wait, goddamn Hawk and Dove are going to be in this thing?

Really?

That is some C list stuff going on there. I assume they won't be regulars.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #42
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

So apparently Raven is going to be in Young Justice season 3 and Tera Strong will be reprising her role voicing Raven!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #43
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
So apparently Raven is going to be in Young Justice season 3 and Tera Strong will be reprising her role voicing Raven!!!
That's cool.
I always liked her voice for Raven, it always seemed right for the character.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #44
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hopefully she gets with Garfield. TTG always 'ship teases the two, but I'd like them to have a stab at something more adult. The comics haven't had them together since before Flashpoint (and even then it was a last minute hook up)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #45
sdp
-

The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship. I'll admit I did like that ship in the original Teen Titans though. If they're shipped here it'll be like every other relationship in the series, quick and without much depth.

I hope this third season doesn't end on a cliffhanger again, I see this as DC throwing fans a bone to see if it sticks but I just don't see it getting the support it should as most people will just pirate it, especially the vocal fans and DC will just cancel it after this. It's really a gesture of good will but man, makes little sense financially. I don't think there's still a big enough audience for people to care and it'll be hard to get people back into it, hope I'm wrong though.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #46
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship.
And they made the mistake of writing them like a close but bickering pair, and as such it became perceived as a more natural relationship than most of the legimitate 'ships on that show
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #47
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Source? I can't immediately find anything.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #48
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship. I'll admit I did like that ship in the original Teen Titans though. If they're shipped here it'll be like every other relationship in the series, quick and without much depth.

I hope this third season doesn't end on a cliffhanger again, I see this as DC throwing fans a bone to see if it sticks but I just don't see it getting the support it should as most people will just pirate it, especially the vocal fans and DC will just cancel it after this. It's really a gesture of good will but man, makes little sense financially. I don't think there's still a big enough audience for people to care and it'll be hard to get people back into it, hope I'm wrong though.
Young Justice was a huge success the first go around and the toy sale were good as well. The only reason it was cancelled was bc the Young Justice toy line was tied to the CGI green lantern toy line that bombed. Green Lantern pretty much young justice bc the toy lines were tied together. I think the source is on the front page bc we we've covered the subject before. But I do share your concern about piracy killing young justice this time around. It just sucks I have to buy DC streaming service to just show support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Source? I can't immediately find anything.
Really wow, I hope this isn't a mistake then....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152839/?ref_=nv_sr_1
This link is to Tera Strong's page on IMDB with her getting credit for the season and certain episodes.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #49
TheSkeletonMan939

I don't buy it until I hear it from somewhere official. Anyone can add anything to IMDB. I hope it's true though.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #50
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
I don't buy it until I hear it from somewhere official. Anyone can add anything to IMDB. I hope it's true though.
agreed I will wait till Tara Strong says something on twitter
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

I never understood why the other Titans weren't in Young Justice. Starfire's design from those DC movies would be perfect to use for it, as well as Raven or Cyborg.

I guess they purposely didn't use them aside from Dick and Beast Boy to distance the show from Teen Titans.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #52
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I never understood why the other Titans weren't in Young Justice. Starfire's design from those DC movies would be perfect to use for it, as well as Raven or Cyborg.

I guess they purposely didn't use them aside from Dick and Beast Boy to distance the show from Teen Titans.
You said it yourself, they didn't want this to be compared to Teen Titans and be its own thing.

I would've loved more a real Young Justice show tho, that art-style and those characters animated would've been great but it would've resembled too much the Teen Titans Cartoon as well, not that that's a bad thing.

So we now have Young Justice the show which is more similar to Teen Titans the comic and Teen Titans the show which is more similar to Young Justice the comic.

Quote:
Young Justice was a huge success the first go around and the toy sale were good as well. The only reason it was cancelled was bc the Young Justice toy line was tied to the CGI green lantern toy line that bombed. Green Lantern pretty much young justice bc the toy lines were tied together. I think the source is on the front page bc we we've covered the subject before. But I do share your concern about piracy killing young justice this time around. It just sucks I have to buy DC streaming service to just show support.
The Young Justice toyline bombed big time and it was deserved since it was so lazy and badly done. Green Lantern didn't sink the toyline, it was already dead.

The show just wasn't doing great either, I know plenty of blog posts reported that it was only cancelled because it had a lot of female fans and producers didn't want that. But that's only one interview telling what he thinks happened and no actual proof.

YJ came out at a time that Cartoon Network didn't care about their DC block, gave it deadly hiatuses. The excitement just wasn't there either, it was a great show but at the same time it wasn't a "feel good" show nor compelling enough to make up for the lack of charm. It did great with the tumblr crowd and hardcore dc nerds and animation fans but the average person didn't know about the show.

I'm guessing ratings for the show were fine but nothing amazing and given the situation they just cancelled it.

What a horrible time that was, we had been told DC would get this huge focus on CN and it seemed like a golden age, everything about YJ and the other DC shows seemed so well crafted and planned only to see them bail out on it barely a month after the experiment began.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

Young Justice was canceled too early, we should have gotten Season 3 from CN years ago.

But either way I guess it doesn't matter now. Makes me wonder how many seasons of it we'll get from DC now. Season 3 is confirmed to be 26 episodes so that's a full length season, I wonder if it'll go on for any longer. I guess it really depends on how many views it gets, but you know people will also watch it online illegally so WB won't get all that revenue if people watch the show outside their service.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:04 AM   #54
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Young Justice was canceled too early, we should have gotten Season 3 from CN years ago.

But either way I guess it doesn't matter now. Makes me wonder how many seasons of it we'll get from DC now. Season 3 is confirmed to be 26 episodes so that's a full length season, I wonder if it'll go on for any longer. I guess it really depends on how many views it gets, but you know people will also watch it online illegally so WB won't get all that revenue if people watch the show outside their service.
They'd have no one to blame but themselves. They just should have released it on Netflix/Hulu. They're practically shooting themselves in the foot by putting it on some forced exclusive stream site noone's going to want to use.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 AM   #55
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Sometimes I think the cancellation was the best thing to happen to the Young Justice (especially now that it's coming back). I remember when season two was airing, I saw plenty of people annoyed as hell with where it was going and upset it seemed to flounder on only the second season. I'm not sure if everyone thought it could have turned around or what, but after it got canceled it was like everybody forgot and decided on a kumbaya to try and get it back. Kind of washed away the memory of how season two got under peoples skin.

Still amazes me they thought a time skip after the first season was a great plan.

Quote:
The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship.
I feel pretty safe in saying that isn't what happened. People were pegging it as a possibility as early as Beast Boys and Girls, a three issue arc coming out around when season two ended, and the release of a certain two episodes mid season three is when the cartoon fandom started actually turning into a thing. I remember because a couple people I'm close friends with to this day - and me, after I'd started hanging in those circles - were trying to direct people toward the comic when that fandom started gaining steam, because we were fairly confident that was the direction it might have been going. Geoff Johns used to plot long term, after all, and comics are plotted and written months in advance.

Someone could try and say they hastily rewrote things when the ship took off in the cartoon fandom, but looking at the whole of the Pre-IC Teen Titans run with the knowledge they get together, it's easy to see it was always planned. I could swear I remember Geoff Johns saying as much in an interview or two.

Quote:
And they made the mistake of writing them like a close but bickering pair, and as such it became perceived as a more natural relationship than most of the legimitate 'ships on that show
It didn't help that the legitimate ship everyone knew was happening - Robin and Starfire - was the dullest possible thing you could ask for. Big shock people enjoyed the not confirmed pairing that was interesting with a likable dynamic.

Quote:
I never understood why the other Titans weren't in Young Justice.
Because they're not Young Justice. None of them have ever been members of that comic team at any point and they're easily recognizable, since the cartoon, as the Titans. It was weird enough having Beast Boy and Miss Martian there (though Miss Martian is probably more associated with that team now because of the cartoon).

Quote:
So we now have Young Justice the show which is more similar to Teen Titans the comic and Teen Titans the show which is more similar to Young Justice the comic.
I have to admit that always drove me up the wall. The original Teen Titans cartoon was what you'd have expected a Young Justice cartoon to be.

Quote:
TTG always 'ship teases the two, but I'd like them to have a stab at something more adult.
That will probably happen at some point. Not just because it's a thing in the comics, but the cartoons have really cemented it in the minds of kids and teenagers, then and especially now when it's actually a thing in Go!. It's probably more a matter of when.

Quote:
What a horrible time that was, we had been told DC would get this huge focus on CN and it seemed like a golden age, everything about YJ and the other DC shows seemed so well crafted and planned only to see them bail out on it barely a month after the experiment began.
Remember DC Nation? CN lost interest in that stupid quick. It's almost amazing to me how much the channel doesn't seem to like carrying superhero stuff or putting any focus on it, when historically superhero cartoons have been their highest rated stuff and they and DC are both owned by the same parent company.

Quote:
They'd have no one to blame but themselves. They just should have released it on Netflix/Hulu. They're practically shooting themselves in the foot by putting it on some forced exclusive stream site noone's going to want to use.
It could go either way, but they've got a chance. There's so much DC related material at this point it could be attractive at the right price. Especially for parents with kids who like superhero shows. Netflix and Hulu don't have crap for that. Hulu has Teen Titans Go!, but all the other DC cartoons and most of the numerous animated films and shows they've done over the years are MIA on all of them. They've probably got a better shot than some of the other attempts. That said, I'd probably prefer they not do it too, but we're probably going to have a period where everyone and their grandma tries it for a few years, diluting the market, until people get sick of the whole thing and there's a big implosion.

Last edited by dl316bh; 10-31-2017 at 01:21 AM.
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 AM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well also Young Justice isn't a show that needs to go on forever. If it just gets a Season 3 and that's it, I'll be perfectly fine. It's only that Season 2 ended on a big cliffhanger, plus Wally's "death" that people wanted a continuation.

If Season 3 wraps up the show well, although it probably won't because Greg Weisman always purposely leaves plot threads open even when he knows he shouldn't, then I'll be fine if that's all we get.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:26 AM   #57
TheSkeletonMan939

I thought season 2's ending was totally fine. Establishing that Darkseid is a character isn't a cliffhanger.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #58
sdp
-

People also forget that season 2 of Young Justice almost didnt happen and was originally only going to be a mini series of a few episodes, (6 or 10) they changed their mind and gave it a few more episodes and called it a season but it still didnt get the 26 episode season that was now standard and only got 20.

Quote:
I thought season 2's ending was totally fine. Establishing that Darkseid is a character isn't a cliffhanger.
Darkseid had been hinted since season 1, its definitely a cliffhanger or unresolved plot that was heavily hinted for two seasons if you prefer.

Quote:
Well also Young Justice isn't a show that needs to go on forever. If it just gets a Season 3 and that's it, I'll be perfectly fine. It's only that Season 2 ended on a big cliffhanger, plus Wally's "death" that people wanted a continuation.

If Season 3 wraps up the show well, although it probably won't because Greg Weisman always purposely leaves plot threads open even when he knows he shouldn't, then I'll be fine if that's all we get.
You know Weisman, he loves having cliffhangers and unresolved plots to his shows because he plans 5 seasons ahead of where he is at. I mean thats cool but at the same time he has enver been able to actually finish any of his shows.

Im a fan of superhero shows not needing to have an actual ending as the héroes will always protect their world but not leaving huge cliffhangers is important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I remember when season two was airing, I saw plenty of people annoyed as hell with where it was going and upset it seemed to flounder on only the second season.
I loved the time jump and didnt mind it, sure the show introduced many characters but it did that in season 1 too, it was always a show that wanted to show you the rest of the DCU and not dwell on only a few.

Quote:
I feel pretty safe in saying that isn't what happened. People were pegging it as a possibility as early as Beast Boys and Girls, a three issue arc coming out around when season two ended, and the release of a certain two episodes mid season three is when the cartoon fandom started actually turning into a thing. I remember because a couple people I'm close friends with to this day - and me, after I'd started hanging in those circles - were trying to direct people toward the comic when that fandom started gaining steam, because we were fairly confident that was the direction it might have been going. Geoff Johns used to plot long term, after all, and comics are plotted and written months in advance.
Its been a while so I dont remember the details but at the time I was really into the Teen Titans fandom and I still believe youre wrong, the BB/Raven relationship was there very early on even before Terra and the comic followed.

In fact the comic took a lot of elements from the show that comic purists hated.

Quote:
Remember DC Nation? CN lost interest in that stupid quick. It's almost amazing to me how much the channel doesn't seem to like carrying superhero stuff or putting any focus on it, when historically superhero cartoons have been their highest rated stuff and they and DC are both owned by the same parent company.
Yes, that was my point, I remember exactly the PR and how they were finally comitted to give DC the spotlight it deserved and it was going to be this huge block and whatnot, something happened between the announcement and when it finally came out that CN just wasnt interested anymore. I wasnt following it but Im sure there was some shuffling in the people in charge.

The only reason DC Nation was even a thing anymore was because they already had all this stuff done by the previous decisions but they showed no desire to actually go through with the other stuff they had promised and hadnt already done.

Granted there were other factors crappy toys and the GL movie failing just didnt help. but CN and WB couldve done so much more to make that block successful.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #59
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Its been a while so I dont remember the details but at the time I was really into the Teen Titans fandom and I still believe youre wrong, the BB/Raven relationship was there very early on even before Terra and the comic followed.
There were people who liked it even early on, but the only episode that anyone really pointed to before Spellbound and Beast Within was Nevermore. Those were the ones where people really started coming in. But there were people who went off how much they enjoyed the two interacting prior to that, yes, but it wasn't super big, as I recall. Season one and two there were about as many people who actually shipped her with Cyborg for some reason - probably pair the spares during season two, since Rob/Star was clearly going to be a thing and Terra was there - and that didn't start to fade until Beast Boy and Raven kind of became the beta ship mid season three and Jinx became the big ship for Cyborg at the start of season three until Kid Flash came into the picture in season five.

Quote:
In fact the comic took a lot of elements from the show that comic purists hated.
They started trying that post-Infinite Crisis and after the show died, yeah, but none of it really stuck. They tried to stuff Beast Boy in his cartoon get-up during OYL, but it look atrocious outside the cartoon style (and honestly, I never thought it looked great there either) and was dropped by the time he was actually in a monthly comic again... for the red and the white that never looked too good either, so, not a super improvement. I remember more fear on the part of comic purists, that they were afraid DC was going to do more of that. Dumbing Starfire down to resemble the speech patterns or naiveté of the cartoon version is something I clearly remember people worrying about, to the point of jumping at shadows; there was a part in 52 during her plot where she was hanging with Animal Man and another companion in space where she ate some tainted fruit or something and a friend worried that was going to be the "narrative excuse".

It was mostly overblown, though understandable at the time, as it's not uncommon for comics to absorb things from a popular cartoon to try and draw some of the fans in, but looking back, Teen Titans didn't take much.

Quote:
I loved the time jump and didnt mind it, sure the show introduced many characters but it did that in season 1 too, it was always a show that wanted to show you the rest of the DCU and not dwell on only a few.
Oh, I'm sure there were people who did like it well enough, including yourself. I didn't mean to imply everyone hated it. But it was a common complaint I saw of season two that had people grumbling pretty hard, but was forgotten when the show was canned, is all I'm saying. Like, the cancellation kind of did it a favor in that it papered over the things people were upset about.

Quote:
Yes, that was my point, I remember exactly the PR and how they were finally comitted to give DC the spotlight it deserved and it was going to be this huge block and whatnot, something happened between the announcement and when it finally came out that CN just wasnt interested anymore. I wasnt following it but Im sure there was some shuffling in the people in charge.
Cartoon Network's had a lot of weird executive shuffling and decisions behind the scenes that really made no sense. I remember that, around when Teen Titans and JLU were canceled, it was announced they were just going to be called CN now and they were branching out of cartoons, trying to pull a SyFy. It failed horribly, no one watched their crappy live action stuff and they had a period where they had to recover. But yeah, odd decisions and changing their mind just seems par for the course for them now. To me, at least. If nothing else, it suggested to me that they had something against superhero cartoons for some weird reason.

I mean, there were three or four superhero cartoons on or coming around the time of the DC Nation block. They stopped showing new episodes of some of them halfway through before dumping them later and canceled three of the four. I've always been convinced that the only reason Teen Titans Go! survived that culling is because it had high ratings (and maybe good merch sales, I don't know how that show does in the toy market).
Old 11-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #60
M.O.D.O.K.
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I've always been convinced that the only reason Teen Titans Go! survived that culling is because it had high ratings (and maybe good merch sales, I don't know how that show does in the toy market).
Teen Titans Go! always got special treatment, though. It actually aired on primetime, had PLENTY of commercials and ads before it started, and plenty of reruns to keep interest and exposure. The other shows were just shoved on Saturday Mornings, no advertisement, and in Beware the Batman's case, wasn't even allowed to finish on CN proper.
M.O.D.O.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cubed is an idiot, cuck everlasting, cybercubedtheklansman, cybercubedtheracist, what the sjw, young cucktice