The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #541
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

The prestige prints are hand-colored printed on hard stock semi-glossy paper. And yeah, Mirage's B&W print of the first movie's comic has a bunch of really cool splash pages and spreads not present in the Archie releases.
Abnormal Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #542
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Awesome, thanks. I was wondering if something was up with the coloring since the sample pages of the Secret of the Ooze comic on the Mirage site look amazing compared to my old Archie issue.

Mirage's re-coloring jobs are always such an improvement. Wish those Tundra Adventures collections had continued through the whole run.

Is the Heroes In The Half Shell TPB recolored as well?
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #543
Bjarni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
Mirage's re-coloring jobs are always such an improvement. Wish those Tundra Adventures collections had continued through the whole run.
That reminds me of a question, did Tundra change anything with the Archie re-releases? I remember reading somewhere that 'Dean Clarrain' was not liking the way Tundra was re-releasing the comics...

My YouTube account
Bjarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #544
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

On that note, is there any difference between the Prestige version of movie II published by Archie as seen here, and the version published by Mirage and Tundra as seen here?
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #545
Bjarni
Hench Mutant

I'm pretty sure that the Prestige version is the Tundra version...

My YouTube account
Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #546
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I don't think Archie published a prestige movie II book; pretty sure the prestige book was only published as a Tundra/Mirage co-publication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post

Is the Heroes In The Half Shell TPB recolored as well?
Yeah, the Tundra TMNTA books look marvelous, so do the hand-colored movie books.

The Heroes in a Half-Shell TPB has the original Archie colors.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #547
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnormal Freak View Post
The Heroes in a Half-Shell TPB has the original Archie colors.
Damn. Well, far less interest in picking that up now.

The Secret of the Ooze adaptation is one comic with two separate colorings published by three companies.

Mirage leaves behind one convoluted legacy of published books with altered and additional content. I've grown to like it.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #548
Venom
Space Knight

That damn SotO book had me confused for a while trying to figure out if there was a Miraeg version as well. Nope, just two books - the Tundra part threw me off. Mirage had it listed three times on their website!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #549
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarni View Post
That reminds me of a question, did Tundra change anything with the Archie re-releases? I remember reading somewhere that 'Dean Clarrain' was not liking the way Tundra was re-releasing the comics...
You're correct. Murphy wrote on his old fifth turtle blog that at the time he left TMNT Adventures he wasn't speaking to Kevin Eastman due to Tundra's recolouring of the stories in that collection.

I like the recolouring myself but I'm guessing it was a point of principal for Steve, either that or he really thought the original was better.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #550
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

He may have felt it was insulting to Barry Grossman, the original colorist; "Your work's not good enough so we're doing it over" etc.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 02-14-2011 at 08:21 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #551
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarni View Post
The first Tundra republication (issues 5-9, I think) of the Archie TMNT Adventures also included a bonus 8 pages of framing device featuring Splinter recounting the TMNT origin to April, who is recording the story.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 02-16-2011 at 09:41 PM.
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #552
Bjarni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The first Tundra republication (issues 5-9, I think) of the Archie TMNT Adventures also included a bonus 8 pages of framing device featuring Splinter recounting the TMNT origin to April who is recording the story.
But wasn't that written by Murphy?

I guess the Barry Grossman thing makes sense.

My YouTube account
Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #553
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The first Tundra republication (issues 5-9, I think) of the Archie TMNT Adventures also included a bonus 8 pages of framing device featuring Splinter recounting the TMNT origin to April who is recording the story.
This book has the same prolog, but it omits the two-page epilog from this one; the two pages are basically April asking more questions about the goings-on of the Turtles, and Splinter essentially says, "That's for another day," kind of a "to be continued" kind of thing.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #554
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Question Pricing Question

Ok guys and gals. I'm getting my feet wet with the comic book world of TMNT. I have not read the original series, but I found someone who is selling issues 1-40 and a few spin offs from the original series.

Here is a part of my correspondence with the person I am working with:

Unfortunately my collection only consists of 1st printings starting
with the 4th issue and onward.

My first issue TMNT is a 4th printing, while my second issue is a 3rd
printing and my third issue is the 2nd printing.

I should note that I do have the 1st printing for the Raphael Micro
Series as well as the Fugitoid 1st printing (both of which have that
weird, folio-like larger size to them) . I also have several of the
"spin off" and 1-shot series that they did, including the Donatello,
Leonardo and Michaelangelo micro series. This includes a number of the
Gizmo comics that came from Mirage Studios (a tie-in with the Fugitoid
comic).

I'll also be honest with you that many of the comics are not boarded
and backed, although in fairness they have been in strict
climate-controlled conditions for the last 20+ years and are in decent
to good shape (to my untrained eye, of course).

It sounds like this guy knows what he has, and has taken considerable care of his collection (though I don't particularly think he is interested in them anymore so there really isn't an emotional attachment here).

Anyhow, I don't want to low ball him, and equally I do not want to pay a rediculous amount of money for these books. What do you think they are valued at, and what would you offer him?

Last edited by papa_smurf73; 02-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.
papa_smurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #555
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Could the Turtles' crossovers with Flaming Carrot be considered canon to the Mirage Universe? Or the Last of the Viking Heroes Summer Special 2 and 3?

What are the contexts of the TMNT's appearances in Phantasy Against Hunger and Shadow of the Groundhog issue 1?
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #556
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf73 View Post
Ok guys and gals. I'm getting my feet wet with the comic book world of TMNT. I have not read the original series, but I found someone who is selling issues 1-40 and a few spin offs from the original series.

Anyhow, I don't want to low ball him, and equally I do not want to pay a rediculous amount of money for these books. What do you think they are valued at, and what would you offer him?
It sounds like a good instant collection, but nothing described is of particular value. I think $40 would be fair.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #557
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
It sounds like a good instant collection, but nothing described is of particular value. I think $40 would be fair.
I don't think anyone would want to sell their comic book collection for 85 cents an issue.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #558
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Wow.. Thanks for the feedback. So, what about the futgitoid comics and spinoffs? Are they just not valuble books? I thought for sure this collection would be worth substancially more than $40.00. Glad I asked. Does anyone else have an opinion here?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #559
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I don't think anyone would want to sell their comic book collection for 85 cents an issue.
Doesn't make them worth more. The guy who's selling doesn't sound like a comic book collector or dealer, just someone looking to get rid of a stack of comics they've had in their house for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf73 View Post
Wow.. Thanks for the feedback. So, what about the futgitoid comics and spinoffs? Are they just not valuble books? I thought for sure this collection would be worth substancially more than $40.00. Glad I asked. Does anyone else have an opinion here?
I think I bought the Fugitoid comic for $2 or so. While some books like that and the Raphael #1 might be worth a little bit more than the others, there are also books in that lot that are gonna be worth less. Keep in mind he's also said that most of the books aren't bagged/boarded, so it's basically just a loose stack of comics. He might be able to get more money for them if he listed them on eBay in separate lots, but it'd be a lot more work for him. As described, I still say offering $40 is fair. He might counter offer at a higher price, at which point you can decide how much you're really willing to spend - but maybe ask to see the books before you go too crazy.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #560
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Thank you so much. I appreciate the response. I'll share the pictures he sends with you guys, just to confirm if they are worth the squeeze.

Tags
ask a question, ban etsyturtle2, comic discussion, questions