The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
Reinako666
Thug

I also notice that Cartoon Networks air a crap ton of Teen Titans Go, so that makes me realized why I haven't watched Cartoon Network in years or maybe almost a flat out decade. Because that was my most watched channel besides G4TV and a little bit of Nicktoons, thanks X-Play, Digimon, and Yu-gi-oh.
Reinako666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #22
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Please, link to that video film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
It was a random video in my YouTube feed, I believe it was called The Real Reason Saturday Morning Cartoons Disappeared, or something to that effect. I will have to hunt it down, since I never actually marked it or anything. I think it was from one of the various "fact finder/did you know" type channels for tv and movies, but I don't recall which one.
Here's the video for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cpUDtW1cV8
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #23
Reinako666
Thug

Dead thread?
Reinako666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #24
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I'll bite and give my opinion. I haven't watched any of these networks with any regularity in years. Boomerang we've never even had. Don't think we ever had Nicktoons either. Cartoon Network we did. Not sure where it is, but I still have my Cartoon Network VHS which consisted of promo material for the station back from the mid-90s. I was really looking forward to eventually being able to watch the network. We had Nickelodeon too, and that's a network my family had going back to the early 80s. It seems my family, up until recent years, have always had some form of cable so I was lucky to have networks like Nickelodeon, USA (which had the USA Cartoon Express, Cailiope), TBS, and TNT. All of these networks used to air cartoons of some kind at some point. TNT even used to show reruns of the Muppet Show.

Anyway, in some ways I think age may have a little to do with why they may seem bad now. I mean, as for Nickelodeon, I was starting to outgrow some of the programming round about the mid-90s. Shows like All That, Kenan and Kel, My Cousin Skeeter, etc., I actually really disliked. I didn't care for the style of humor and I legit just HATED and loathed My Cousin Skeeter. I don't remember or recall why now, just that I didn't like it. At that point, I gravitated towards the shows like The Secret World of Alex Mack, the Journey of Allen Strange, Hey Arnold (as far as a Nicktoon went where I watched it at its premiere because I was really interested in it after having seen Harriet the Spy in theaters earlier that year), old reruns of You Can't Do That on Television, Fifteen, Welcome Freshman, Clarissa Explains it All, etc. I felt the same way about the Disney Channel. I felt that the 80s (well, the little I saw of it...could only see it when we had free previews) and 90s was better than the 2000s...but could still be my age since the style of programming wasn't interesting to me after a certain point.

The way I preferred Cartoon Network was how it was in the 90s. Boomerang also made sense since they would air the older works there. Cartoon Network now, to my knowledge, is just Teen Titans Go. I liked Sonic Boom, but heard that got moved to Boomerang which meant it was doomed for failure. I think it's just people not watching television as much anymore along with people consuming most media online. The networks don't have to put in as much effort anymore, especially if they have a streaming platform.

Saturday morning programming I felt started to die off a bit after more cable stations offered cartoon and kids programming, and more people were subscribing to it. They didn't have to air their content under the same restrictions like the other stations. The other factor I always assumed was an issue was the FCC and stuff being more strict in the content after a while. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, by the time the 90s rolled around, it seems things were getting much more strict with the type of content they could show. They also had that issue with commercials aimed at kids during that Saturday morning programming for the network stations (ABC, CBS, NBC). As I've always jokingly stated, the 80s felt like a decade-long kids commercial. lol

There are some other networks I used to watch regularly that I think are bad now too...like MTV. Give me 80s/90s MTV any day over the mess they had after the decade. I felt the downfall of that was caused by shows like the Real World. It was find as an exception, but they seemed to add more and more non-music related shows and even back in the early 2000s, seems music videos were being fazed out. People wanting more reality show silliness, imo, killed MTV for me.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #25
Mayhem
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Saturday mornings still exist in the UK, sort of. ITV show cartoons from 6 through to 9:25 AM, and Channel 5 airs pre-school programming mostly all morning before running Spongebob and WWE (before that, it was TMNT 2012 and Rise of TMNT), over on the CBBC Channel, you have the Saturday Mash-Up, although I think having a variety programme that shows games and cartoons on a channel entirely dedicated to kids programming anyway is a little pointless and it should air on BBC ONE or TWO.
My daughter watches some of the stuff on Milkshake (the Channel 5 morning slots) and it's tied with Nick, which is why many of their shows broadcast between 6 and 9 in the morning. But that's seven days per week heh.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:24 AM   #26
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I guess it's because the public stations assumed that they needed to grow up per se'. But, they brought in a lot of boring programs that would put a lot of families to sleep within their own living rooms. My local station did just that.

It's a darn shame too because both Disney and Warner Bros. were the big powerhouse animation industries in the earlier years: sure, they were shamelessly competing with each other for the ratings, but quite a few of their old shows were memorable to watch before / after school and on the weekends.

Last edited by DarkFell; 08-01-2020 at 01:14 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #27
Shark_Blade
Emperor

People still watch tv?

Streaming service is there for a reason. No more commercial, watch what you want when you want it.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #28
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
No more commercial, watch what you want when you want it.
What we watch is s*it though. Go out and jog.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Love you brother.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #30
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Love you brother.
Love me long time Five dolla!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

But I onry have t'ree dolla!

Old 07-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #32
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But I onry have t'ree dolla!
Tree fify
Old 07-31-2020, 06:10 AM   #33
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
For 3.50$, I'll take ya both!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #34
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Change $3.50 into $350 each and you might convince both of them to crash at your place for a week!
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:57 AM   #35
frank_one
Stone Warrior

Everything is worse now. Food, women. Everything.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Everything is worse now. Food, women. Everything.
Well, I'll agree that all this vegan soyshit sucks...

... Not sure I'd be caught dead calling women worse in any context though...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #37
Coola Yagami
Emperor

To be honest, streaming services suck too. I want to watch THIS show, not 'shows similar to this show', and I am not gonna sub to 50 different streaming sites when you used to be able to watch most of those shows with only one basic cable subscription.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
Change $3.50 into $350 each and you might convince both of them to crash at your place for a week!
https://media2.giphy.com/media/jRcsvweuYibbW/giphy.gif
........I like where this is goin'.....!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #39
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
To be honest, streaming services suck too. I want to watch THIS show, not 'shows similar to this show', and I am not gonna sub to 50 different streaming sites when you used to be able to watch most of those shows with only one basic cable subscription.
Wouldn't 50 streaming subscriptions also cost about 500 USD/Euro? No wonder you can actually find Blu-Ray sets of shows from streaming services, there's no way you'd be able to pay for all of them.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote