The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Story Arc Titles

Does it bother anyone else when a comic releases a story without a proper title? It seems like this happens more often with one-shots than story arcs, but it still happens. I know that IDW often doesn't come up with titles for their stories until its time to release the solicitation for the TPB and for some reason it just really irks my nerves. It seems like most of the other comics I read, with only a few exceptions, have a title for every issue/part of a story arc. Maybe it's just because I tend to think of comic series in terms of the story arcs they're broken into, rather than by issue number.

The titles that IDW have used for all the TPBs have all so far worked out as far as titles for the story arcs they contain, except for the Leatherhead TPB and the two issues that don't feature him at all that are included. The next two TPBs, Chasing Phantoms and Desperate Measures also will include single issues unrelated to the titular stories, but the Christmas Special doesn't really need a title other than that and one could argue that the issue about Angel and Raph bringing Alopex back home could be considered a prologue to that story arc, or at least that it ties into the theme of desperate measures.

Anybody else, or is this just me?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Does it bother anyone else when a comic releases a story without a proper title? It seems like this happens more often with one-shots than story arcs, but it still happens. I know that IDW often doesn't come up with titles for their stories until its time to release the solicitation for the TPB and for some reason it just really irks my nerves. It seems like most of the other comics I read, with only a few exceptions, have a title for every issue/part of a story arc. Maybe it's just because I tend to think of comic series in terms of the story arcs they're broken into, rather than by issue number.

The titles that IDW have used for all the TPBs have all so far worked out as far as titles for the story arcs they contain, except for the Leatherhead TPB and the two issues that don't feature him at all that are included. The next two TPBs, Chasing Phantoms and Desperate Measures also will include single issues unrelated to the titular stories, but the Christmas Special doesn't really need a title other than that and one could argue that the issue about Angel and Raph bringing Alopex back home could be considered a prologue to that story arc, or at least that it ties into the theme of desperate measures.

Anybody else, or is this just me?
I hear ya. I like my stories to have titles.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

I agree, every arc, even if it's just a single issue, should have its own title. Just because some of them eventually fall away in the transition to TPB format doesn't mean it shouldn't be done with the monthly ongoing. It's an extra touch of class, as it were.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Glad to hear it's not just just me. I was doing some editing on Turtlepedia earlier today, trying to update the IDW Chronology and write up some summaries for old issues and I just couldn't bring myself to summarize issues #59 and #60 on the Leatherhead story arc page, like, it would make no sense!

Maybe we should just take suggestions on what to call that two-part story
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Glad to hear it's not just just me. I was doing some editing on Turtlepedia earlier today, trying to update the IDW Chronology and write up some summaries for old issues and I just couldn't bring myself to summarize issues #59 and #60 on the Leatherhead story arc page, like, it would make no sense!

Maybe we should just take suggestions on what to call that two-part story
"The Cunning of Foxes"? Something of the sort. I'd be nice to have a title that both captures the heavy focus on foxes, while also slyly hinting at Splinter's counter-twist at the end, but that would be lightning in a bottle.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #6
Ninjinister
無問題

I'd advise against any community-sourced names for things like this, on the Wiki at least.

Let's ask Tom and/or Bobby instead. There's a topic where we can do just that.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
Leomaru
Thug

Issues 59 and 60 should not be named Leatherhead.
Leomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Let's just hope the arc/issue titles never get as complicated as Season 5 of Spider-man: The Animated Series.

Nobody wants to deal with episode titles like:
"Six Forgotten Warriors, Chapter IV: The Six Fight Again"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Let's just hope the arc/issue titles never get as complicated as Season 5 of Spider-man: The Animated Series.

Nobody wants to deal with episode titles like:
"Six Forgotten Warriors, Chapter IV: The Six Fight Again"
THATS HILARIOUS. OH man those titles were so bad.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
THATS HILARIOUS. OH man those titles were so bad.
Not so much bad as unnecessarily long.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
Tyma
Random Punk

It only bothers me that we know the IDW story arc titles so far in advance. The earliest ones were vague enough, but some of them (particuarly ones which re-tell a previous story) seem to give too much away.
Tyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Not so much bad as unnecessarily long.
What are you talking about, you can make it even longer!

"Six Forgotten Warriors, Chapter IV: The Six Fight Again" can easily become "Spider-Man The Animated Series Presents; The Six Forgotten Warriors Of The Past, Chapter Number IV: The Six Forgotten Warriors Fight On Yet Again In Their Battle Against The Forces Of Evil!".
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
Tyma
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
What are you talking about, you can make it even longer!

"Six Forgotten Warriors, Chapter IV: The Six Fight Again" can easily become "Spider-Man The Animated Series Presents; The Six Forgotten Warriors Of The Past, Chapter Number IV: The Six Forgotten Warriors Fight On Yet Again In Their Battle Against The Forces Of Evil!".
Marvel Comics(tm) presents Spider-Man The Animated Series(tm); The Six Forgotton Warriors(tm) Of The Past, Chapter Number Four : The Six Forgotton Warriors(tm) Fight On Yet again In Their Battle Against The Forces Of Evil!!

Tyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyma View Post
Marvel Comics(tm) presents Spider-Man The Animated Series(tm); The Six Forgotton Warriors(tm) Of The Past, Chapter Number Four : The Six Forgotton Warriors(tm) Fight On Yet again In Their Battle Against The Forces Of Evil!!

You have to admire the writers for really sticking close to the serialised storytelling of the comics even if it means coming up with outrageously long titles. Compare that to a TV show like Smallville which has just one word titles. An example of both extremes.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote