The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Only time will tell, man. Frankly I kinda prefer seeing them get resurrected, be it either through the Turnstone, time travel or heck maybe they didn't die at all. Maybe those guys we saw get blown away were just clones or something the whole time.
Nah, that would just ruin the impact of their deaths. There is an afterlife in Archie apparently, so their spirits will find peace.

Also found it weird that Jagwar's mother apparently never found out he died, simply because she never appeared again in the later issues.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #62
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nah, that would just ruin the impact of their deaths. There is an afterlife in Archie apparently, so their spirits will find peace.

Also found it weird that Jagwar's mother apparently never found out he died, simply because she never appeared again in the later issues.
Okay, well look at it this way. In DC comics, characters are constantly being killed off and then brought back to life. While the trope has become a little too worn out, and even lampooned, it all dates back to that iconic storyline from the 90s where Superman died fighting Doomsday, only to be brought back a year later. It can be done right, if executed properly, and the impact of their death can still hold meaning.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #63
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Personally I think Cubed is setting a good example. There has to be some good things to come out of every TMNT so why not praise those qualities?
So what do you like best about Image's Volume 3?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's why i prefer not for it happen here, the Mutanimals dying was shocking especially in a book aimed at kids, and it was completely unexpected.

Especially with what the Mutanimals were trying to accomplish. Wingnut/Screwlooses hopes and dreams after he was the last survivor of his planet, Man Ray trying to clean up pollution, Jagwar walking the path of the 4 winds, Leatherhead being a friend of the Turtles, Mondo Gecko being a cool dude, and Dreadmon being uh...Dreadmon.

You usually don't see heroes die who are meant to be uplifting to children. It's great it happened.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #65
Jephael

Quote:
That's why i prefer not for it happen here, the Mutanimals dying was shocking especially in a book aimed at kids, and it was completely unexpected.

Especially with what the Mutanimals were trying to accomplish. Wingnut/Screwlooses hopes and dreams after he was the last survivor of his planet, Man Ray trying to clean up pollution, Jagwar walking the path of the 4 winds, Leatherhead being a friend of the Turtles, Mondo Gecko being a cool dude, and Dreadmon being uh...Dreadmon.

You usually don't see heroes die who are meant to be uplifting to children. It's great it happened.
I can't help but notice you never seem to bring up Mondo's relationship with his girlfriend Candy Fine. She was an integral part of the Terracide story, especially when Null kidnapped her and made her into his love slave. It's also a big reason why I feel bringing the Mutanimals back to life could actually work well to some capacity down the road. At the very least, we could see them having adventures in the afterlife... like some kind of "Mutanimals in Purgatory" type deal.

www.jephael.com
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #66
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
So what do you like best about Image's Volume 3?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I can't help but notice you never seem to bring up Mondo's relationship with his girlfriend Candy Fine. She was an integral part of the Terracide story, especially when Null kidnapped her and made her into his love slave. It's also a big reason why I feel bringing the Mutanimals back to life could actually work well to some capacity down the road. At the very least, we could see them having adventures in the afterlife... like some kind of "Mutanimals in Purgatory" type deal.
There's one pin-up page in one of the issues after that story that shows them all with halo's in their heads and saying, "This is heaven, eh?"
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #68
Jephael

Quote:
There's one pin-up page in one of the issues after that story that shows them all with halo's in their heads and saying, "This is heaven, eh?"
I know, but that's all it was... a pin up. It wasn't necessarily canon. The only reason they made that piece of artwork was to compensate for that disturbing image of the Mutanimals burning in Hell!!!

www.jephael.com
Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

Another thing I notice is how many demons or Gods there are in Archie.

We have Null who is essentially the devil. There's Noi-Taar-Daar, the Japanese Oni that Chein Khan was trying to ressurect. There's the red demon woman from issue #46 when Raph/Ninjara briefly walk into the underworld. Then there's Animus, the huge purple demon who made everyone in the Middle East fight.

On the other side there are a ton of "good" Gods, like the Japanese man/wife from the same arc, that floating creature Don saw in the 1492 issue, the Sons of Silence, whatever the hell Golani was, and then Dimension X warlords like Cherubae.

Lot's of mystical stuff in Archie to balance out all the mutants or aliens.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #70
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

No one liked the Moon Eyes saga?

I really liked the Dreamland arc... it was cool to see his vision of what the Turtles had become in their middle age. I loved how Raph liked owned a bar and the other three were continuing to do heroic things with their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed

Jeez, when you put it like this it sounds really damn heavy.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 AM   #71
CyberCubed
Overlord

Moon-Eyes saga was a fitting ending to Ninjara. I find it pretty funny she was written off right before the entire series itself ended.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #72
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I thought it was interesting that Murphy chose to write that story. Raphael generally just gets away with being a jerk and it was interesting to see him get dumped for it, although at the time it felt like Raph was Murphy's favourite turtle to write.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #73
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd really like to know the story of how Murphy came up with some characters. Like Malinga, Verminator X, Null, and some of the other character that were brand new to the series, like Al'Falqa or Katamundo. Since these characters weren't from the cartoon or toyline, Murphy created them himself.

I also find it odd that for all the characters he did chose to use, other mutants like the Punk Frogs, Mona Lisa, or Mutagen Man were completely ignored and didn't appear at all.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #74
Vicky82
Emperor

I never read the Archie comic series but there is a story I know about and that is where Mikey is blind and later captured and tortured. I would love to see this done in the Nick toon if it wasn't ending.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I never read the Archie comic series but there is a story I know about and that is where Mikey is blind and later captured and tortured. I would love to see this done in the Nick toon if it wasn't ending.
Yeah, that happens later on. He and the other Turtles also get captured by the U.S. government at that point. It's a story, as well as it's Volume 2 counterpart, that basically inspired Bishop's creation in the 4kids series.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #76
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I'd really like to know the story of how Murphy came up with some characters. Like Malinga, Verminator X, Null, and some of the other character that were brand new to the series, like Al'Falqa or Katamundo. Since these characters weren't from the cartoon or toyline, Murphy created them himself.

I also find it odd that for all the characters he did chose to use, other mutants like the Punk Frogs, Mona Lisa, or Mutagen Man were completely ignored and didn't appear at all.
I don't know how Mona Lisa would fit in the Archie series universe, when Raph and Ninjara are paired as love interests.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Also where did Andrew get the idea of the Mutanimals dead spirits coming back to get their revenge on Null and kill him.
That was all me.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #78
Jephael

Hey Cubed, you keep sidetracking my query in regards to Mondo Gecko's girlfriend Candy Fine. What were your thoughts about her? Did you find her interesting, or do you feel she was an unnecessary character?

Also in regards to having the Mutanimals resurrected, it wouldn't be that big of a stretch considering all the different ways it's been done stuff like that in other comics and even anime. Ever watch Dragonball Z? They wish that dragon spirit to wish people back from the dead like all the time in that show, and they come back completely normal... no un-dead zombie stuff there!

www.jephael.com
Old 04-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought Candy Fine was...well...fine. She was ok, I liked her design when Null hypnotized her on Malinga's ship.

And nah, the Mutanimals should stay dead. To undo that does away with the impact it had, and is still felt today, 20 years later. Bringing them back briefly as spirits to get their revenge on Null like Andrew did was fine however.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 AM   #80
Jephael

Quote:
And nah, the Mutanimals should stay dead. To undo that does away with the impact it had, and is still felt today, 20 years later. Bringing them back briefly as spirits to get their revenge on Null like Andrew did was fine however.
Okay, but then by that logic bringing back Goku (the Dragonball character... not the Dromer), Barry Allen, Agent Phil Coulson and so many other characters from the great fictional beyond can be considered just as bad. I guess having lost so many loved ones over the last decade or so (my beloved Uncle Sherman being a most recent casualty) makes me kinda wish there was a way to bring them back, hence why I like the idea of resurrecting characters in such a way.

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 04-10-2017 at 02:47 AM.