The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Reading recommendations for the Archie series

I was wondering, what's people's recommendations for what to read in the Archie series. I've heard a lot about it and now want to begin reading it
Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
I was wondering, what's people's recommendations for what to read in the Archie series. I've heard a lot about it and now want to begin reading it
I say start at the beginning, or at least issue #5, assuming you've seen season 1 and early season 2 of the Fred Wolf series. The arc that builds toward The Final Conflict in issue #13 is a really great way to get introduced to the Archie TMNT verse. After that, there's another slow build toward the debut of the Mighty Mutanimals mini-series. It's not quite as easy to follow, but it's another good example of how good the Archie series was with world-building.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I recommend the April mini-series (the first one!) it's surprisingly good. The art is really nice, and the whole thing is an unexpected treat, one that probably gets overlooked often.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Like anything with a continuing storyline, you might as well start at the beginning and read in chronological order. You'll appreciate the series much more and see how everything builds up on each other if you go in order.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012/...nuity.html?m=1
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Will let you know in a month or two.
I just received the first seven volumes of the IDW trades today. I know the TPB have left out this, that, and the other thing. But it will be good enough. The TPB are the route for me bc I wanted to read in order and not deal with condition issues or hunting them all down. Vol 1 was a quick and enjoyable read. Starting vol 2 tomorrow. Will most likely pick up the remaining volumes soon.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Unfortunately IDW's trades skipped a lot of issues, as well as important story issues like the one that introduces Verminator X along with Shredder in the desert stealing the stones of Mecca which leads into the Future Shark arc.

My recommendation is to track down those single issues on either online comic shops or ebay or something.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Unfortunately IDW's trades skipped a lot of issues, as well as important story issues like the one that introduces Verminator X along with Shredder in the desert stealing the stones of Mecca which leads into the Future Shark arc.

My recommendation is to track down those single issues on either online comic shops or ebay or something.
Do you have issue numbers that are skipped in the 1-72 run? BTW do you own all the originals or what's your source for reading them?

edit: after some quick research it looks like maybe 32-37 got skipped.
Volume breakdown:
1 1-4
2 5-8
3 9-12
4 13-16
5 17-20
6 21-22 + first 3 issues of Mighty Mutanimals
7 23-27
8 28-31
9 38-40
10 41-44 + mighty mutanimals 7
11 45-50
12 51-54
13 55-57 + mighty mutanimals 8-9
14 58-61
15 62-66
16 67-70
17 71-72

Last edited by TurtleWA; 05-21-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I have all the original issues from Archie, not the trades. Damn, they skipped an entire arc there. Really unfortunate for new readers.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah I have all the original issues from Archie, not the trades. Damn, they skipped an entire arc there. Really unfortunate for new readers.
Cool you got them . Slowly over time I would like all the originals but these will have to hold me over until then. Yes very unfortunate.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

I would at least read summaries of what happened in those issues if you can't buy them right away. Or look at TMNT Entity for summaries/reviews in them to see what happened.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #12
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah I will definitely be doing something like that for sure. Fingers crossed that idw finishes up to 72. I couldn't imagine going this far and not somewhat completing the run.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Other than the 5 or 6 issues mentioned, which occur in a row, everything else is in tact with a few issues of Mighty Mutanimals proper and all 3 issues of the MM mini series included where necessary.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsmozers View Post
Other than the 5 or 6 issues mentioned, which occur in a row, everything else is in tact with a few issues of Mighty Mutanimals proper and all 3 issues of the MM mini series included where necessary.
I don't even get why they skipped the issue where they returned to Stump Asteroid for the second wrestling competition where the Turtles fought each other, it had nothing to do with the Middle Eastern arc.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I don't even get why they skipped the issue where they returned to Stump Asteroid for the second wrestling competition where the Turtles fought each other, it had nothing to do with the Middle Eastern arc.
I know, and its a damn shame. It was a fun issue.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #16
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I read through the first 27 issues over the past few weeks. I'm reading the IDW TPB collection. If you don't have the time or access to read all issues (which really is ideal) from beginning to end, then I would recommend the following.

yes

probably

maybe

probably also want to read 24 and 25 to go along with 23

The first three issues of Mighty Mutanimals are good.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

I'm personally a big fan of the "Cyber Samurai" issues towards the end of the run.
Not so much for the armor gimmick, but the way they show the brothers all evolving into their different roles, and the Chris Allen artwork is nice.

A lot of the other Archie TMNT I could do without, but if there are any hidden gems throughout the run, I'd also like to know.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #18
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'm personally a big fan of the "Cyber Samurai" issues towards the end of the run.
Not so much for the armor gimmick, but the way they show the brothers all evolving into their different roles, and the Chris Allen artwork is nice.

A lot of the other Archie TMNT I could do without, but if there are any hidden gems throughout the run, I'd also like to know.
The most recent issue I read was #27 today. It was a great little read. Had a horror motif going, complete with dark country road, small town, and zombies. Oh not to forget a little nod to the Andy Griffith show.

#6 is also pretty cool with Leatherhead origin. Yeah I'll eventually finish out the series and look forward to the Cyber Samurai issues.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 04-26-2017 at 05:46 PM.