The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Ever noticed how Archie retconned the FW origin to be more Mirage-like?

Not in a major way of course, they didn't make it so that Splinter was always a rat or made the Ooze come from a TCRI spill and they obviously couldn't change some of the stupidity like Yoshi deciding a sewer was a good homeless shelter or Shredder deciding a mutagen was a good murder poison, though some details are changed.

So in the initial mini, it's basically the same as in the FW cartoon. Yoshi is framed for a murder attempt and the five mutants are instantly changed into their new forms.
Spoiler:

But then there are some changes, Yoshi is exiled for actual murder (though he is still just framed), the turtles merely grow in size to start with, it still takes a day for Splinter to transform, the turtles are children before they get to full size. Hell, there are even minor details like the first word for one of them being Splinter, a cracked canister of ooze and them wearing red before switching to muti-color.
Spoiler:

For comparison, here's Mirage.
Spoiler:

I'm almost surprised they didn't just retcon Splinter into being a confused sewer rat who just found Yoshi's journal or Krang into being booted out of TCRI by the other Utroms.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #2
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I'm almost surprised they didn't just retcon Splinter into being a confused sewer rat who just found Yoshi's journal or Krang into being booted out of TCRI by the other Utroms.
Why should they have done that? It would have confuse the readers. Even if with some changes, the Archie comics was still supposed to be in continuity with the cartoon for the most part.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Why should they have done that? It would have confuse the readers.
Well that part was intended as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Even if with some changes, the Archie comics was still supposed to be in continuity with the cartoon for the most part.
No, that's not really the case. If it was, then they wouldn't have done things like remove several characters closely associated with the cartoon and blatantly ignore the events of the cartoon.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-30-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, the effort to have TMNTA be in line with the Fred Wolf show only last a few issues. There's not really any way to reconcile the two after a certain point and I don't know why anyone would want to.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, the effort to have TMNTA be in line with the Fred Wolf show only last a few issues. There's not really any way to reconcile the two after a certain point and I don't know why anyone would want to.
Issue six of the ongoing to precise as it depicts Leatherhead's origin, which is in fact the second issue to feature an original plot, the first four issues of the ongoing and the three issue mini all used scripts from the show. So yes, it was identical to the cartoon for about seven issues and the second original issue was the point where they couldn't be reconciled, meaning that there is literally only one single original story that could conceivably have taken place in the FW continuity. But even ignoring potentially accidental deviations like that, it's impossible to ignore that Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady are exiled to other planets and cease to be regulars in issue thirteen, even their return only lasted three issues before they went back to their exile.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-31-2023, 12:12 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Splinter being human helped them tie in several aspects of his backstory in later issues, showing him train in Tibet and some other stuff I don't remember off the top of my head. You have to remember back here this was only the second incarnation of Splinter being Hamato Yoshi (in Mirage, the 3 live-action movies and later 4kids series he was all a rat), so it wasn't overused yet.

But yeah Leatherhead's origin being a human named Jess Harley instead of just a normal gater getting mutated conflicts every other Leatherhead origin ever. The Archie series is still to this day the only series where Leatherhead was a human prior to mutation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Splinter being human helped them tie in several aspects of his backstory in later issues, showing him train in Tibet and some other stuff I don't remember off the top of my head. You have to remember back here this was only the second incarnation of Splinter being Hamato Yoshi (in Mirage, the 3 live-action movies and later 4kids series he was all a rat), so it wasn't overused yet.

But yeah Leatherhead's origin being a human named Jess Harley instead of just a normal gater getting mutated conflicts every other Leatherhead origin ever. The Archie series is still to this day the only series where Leatherhead was a human prior to mutation.
And not even a regular mutant. He was transformed with magic with the Turnstone.

Then there's the fact that Krang transformed the Technodrome into the Skullbuzzer and it was never seen or used again after that.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 09-06-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote