The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #401
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
In cases where Yoshi became Splinter and a little DNA mixing may be involved, then I gotta agree with her that if they've got a touch of human in them from Splinter than they'd indeed be Japanese.

Unless... the kid in other versions last touched them (or a pet shop owner), then who knows.

Although when voice actors taken into consideration... until the next series mixes it up, so far they've been a bunch of 'green apples' much of the time, so to speak.
I mean they've been raised by a rodent who used to be a Japanese man, or a rodent who was the pet rat of a Japanese man, so yeah it kinda makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Pretty sure he could if he was given the direction. He did more of an accent in the first 5 eps. Actually I kinda think Nick Shredder was basically told to sound just like Trigon and forgot "oh yea, he's Japanese too".

The Turtles basically acted and talked white, C'mon you all know this, even though technically they're Turtles. If all 4 of them were cast by black VAs and spoke will all sorts of black slang, I know fans would have been calling them the black turtles even though, again, they're Turtles not human. Same if they were voiced by and sounded Hispanic. It doesn't change the fact that they're turtles and not humans, but you still would have people making green card jokes.
Do all Black american people use that slang you're talking about? I seriously doubt so. Also, the Turtles have always been depicted as being into things that the youth is currently into. They tend to like rock and rap music, and also like to surf and skateboard. It's not just White people who surf, skateboard and like rock and rap music.

So yeah, it's silly to equate the Turtles to human "races" or nationalities since they're Turtles and not human. They've been influenced by Japanese culture through Splinter and by American pop culture through TV and living in NYC. That's the closest they get to being human.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #402
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I mean they've been raised by a rodent who used to be a Japanese man, or a rodent who was the pet rat of a Japanese man, so yeah it kinda makes sense.

Do all Black american people use that slang you're talking about? I seriously doubt so. Also, the Turtles have always been depicted as being into things that the youth is currently into. They tend to like rock and rap music, and also like to surf and skateboard. It's not just White people who surf, skateboard and like rock and rap music.

So yeah, it's silly to equate the Turtles to human "races" or nationalities since they're Turtles and not human. They've been influenced by Japanese culture through Splinter and by American pop culture through TV and living in NYC. That's the closest they get to being human.
Yeah. Claiming that there's such thing as "acting white" or "talking black" is pretty ignorant.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #403
CyberCubed
Overlord

In the new 2018 cartoon both Raphael and Michelangelo also have black voice actors for the first time. Given these actors sound like they're using just slightly altered versions of their regular real life voices for the Turtles, I guess two of the Turtles will still have a black type of voice in the show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #404
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
All this talk of race reminds me of this golden oldie by Nines.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #405
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
In the new 2018 cartoon both Raphael and Michelangelo also have black voice actors for the first time. Given these actors sound like they're using just slightly altered versions of their regular real life voices for the Turtles, I guess two of the Turtles will still have a black type of voice in the show.
Too soon to tell.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #406
CyberCubed
Overlord

The weirdest slang the Nick cartoon got away with is Michelangelo saying, "What's up, my ninja's?" to his brothers. He said it in at least two different episodes as well.

As you guys know, "What's up my ninja's?" is clearly based on something else that I can't post here. Hint: See Rush Hour 1 when Jackie Chan says it to the black guy in the bar.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #407
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
The weirdest slang the Nick cartoon got away with is Michelangelo saying, "What's up, my ninja's?" to his brothers. He said it in at least two different episodes as well.

As you guys know, "What's up my ninja's?" is clearly based on something else that I can't post here. Hint: See Rush Hour 1 when Jackie Chan says it to the black guy in the bar.
I remember those TMNT 'Ninja Please' shirts that got some backlash. I forgot if those were legit or like fake fan shirts or something.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #408
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wait, why are we assuming April O'Neil identifies as female in the new cartoon?
Nice one!

Don't worry, soon creators go to it, when it'll become "new pandering hotness".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #409
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I wish I could find the thread where one guy mentioned Shredder being black and posting screen caps as evidence anyone remember it? I tried searching but couldn't find it.

Quote:
Do those even exist anymore? I mean outside of, like, parts of Utah or something?
That was literally my school, only one black kid in all of the High School, and not to say stereotypes are true but most of the parking lot were trucks and if they weren't then hummers.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #410
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
No, his girlfriend was latina, the character was meant to be white, I did my research and there's some confusion but she was not intended to be another race, at least that we can find any evidence of.
But Kevin said his girlfriend was African American and I don't see why he would lie about that.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #411
CyberCubed
Overlord

Maybe he got confused.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #412
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That was literally my school, only one black kid in all of the High School
But how long ago was that? Even when I was a kid, it was like... maybe 50% white, 50% everything else.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #413
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
But how long ago was that? Even when I was a kid, it was like... maybe 50% white, 50% everything else.
Small City, Southern Missouri, 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
But Kevin said his girlfriend was African American and I don't see why he would lie about that.
odd, the latina thing came up in more than one place.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #414
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nowadays everyone is mixed. The only white people in my school were Russians. They all came from Mother Russia.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #415
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Nowadays everyone is mixed. The only white people in my school were Russians. They all came from Mother Russia.
Did they have vodka drinking bears with balalaikas and ushankas?
If not, than they must have been Polish disguising themselves as Russians.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #416
Prowler
Emperor

From now on anything is possible.

It's only a matter of time until we get a gay Ninja Turtle, guys. And then one of the various "LGBT in TMNT" threads will be bumped once it's confirmed. And I'm going even further and say that they'll try the female turtle idea again. Maybe they'll bring back Venus with a different origin and personality.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #417
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Someday Tang Shen is totally gonna live for once, move to NYC with Yoshi (or without?) and she'll end up mutating into Venus and be the Turtles' mom.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #418
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Has this turned into a "everyone become Cybercubed" thread?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #419
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Someday Tang Shen is totally gonna live for once, move to NYC with Yoshi (or without?) and she'll end up mutating into Venus and be the Turtles' mom.
I'd be down for that . It would even out Splinter's mutation, because she'd be the one trying to pull them out of the Ooze. Then Splinter, having handled rats recently, would step in the mutagen by accident after seeing what was going on.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #420
CyberCubed
Overlord

Some universes ignore Tang Shen altogether. She never existed in the original cartoon, so Hamato Yoshi never had a girlfriend/wife in that series.

Tags
april, april o'neil, curious (black), cybercubedtheracist, dc comics, everything is racist, im offended, mirage, plastroncuckold, racist