Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #101
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i don't actually KNOW know her.

but my interacts with her on that FB Group didn't make a very good impression.

i found it very ironic that she of all people should be talking toxicity.

guess anyone that doesn't share her similar views must be toxic?
Nah, dude.
People having a difference of opinion isn't what makes something a toxic environment.

It's how folks approach that difference of opinion, and how they're treated in the wake of that difference of opinion.

One of my favorite quotes from SDCC was in a DC panel. It was the Editor in Chief talking about how every panel at a convention could be someone's first panel. And what happens at that panel will determine whether they stay in the room.

Andrew may crow about uprooting plants, but those threads could have been someone's first experience on this forum. And I wouldn't blame them for never wanting to come back after watching that all happen.

I didn't like the Bay movies, but I'm not going to begrudge folks that do.
And I'm certainly not going to badger them for it. Or, take their bait if they try to badger me in return.

Fun sidebar to the DC panel story:
That was the last of their panels I've gone to, based entirely on audience reaction.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #102
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think that's very much the case. Especially if a lot of the PD fans were young teens (not much older than 14 maybe) who really didn't have the cognitive sense to take a moment and think about the flaws in the films that the older fans abhorred. They're kids hopped up on the Transformers Action Train who went way overboard on their excitement, and when they got screamed at for being "plants", they couldn't handle it. Because they're kids.

No matter how bad the films are, there are still people who like the films - even those who take them as a guilty pleasure.

It's far more likely that they were young fans who didn't know any better. I don't see much financial logic in hiring people to plug the movie on some message board no one in the Big Leagues would know about. Is it possible on Twitter and Facebook? Of course. But I don't think it would work in a low-tier social media platform like a messageboard - which is a dying medium as it is.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #103
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Nah, dude.
People having a difference of opinion isn't what makes something a toxic environment.

It's how folks approach that difference of opinion, and how they're treated in the wake of that difference of opinion.

One of my favorite quotes from SDCC was in a DC panel. It was the Editor in Chief talking about how every panel at a convention could be someone's first panel. And what happens at that panel will determine whether they stay in the room.

Andrew may crow about uprooting plants, but those threads could have been someone's first experience on this forum. And I wouldn't blame them for never wanting to come back after watching that all happen.

I didn't like the Bay movies, but I'm not going to begrudge folks that do.
And I'm certainly not going to badger them for it. Or, take their bait if they try to badger me in return.

Fun sidebar to the DC panel story:
That was the last of their panels I've gone to, based entirely on audience reaction.
yeah i do recall at one time Andrew once calling me a plant after being excited after seeing OotS opening weekend.
i laughed it off, but i can definitely see how it's rub people the wrong way.
i won't deny there were things i did enjoy about the movie, but then again sometimes i'd much prefer to watch Schumaker's Batman movies over the renowned Nolan Batman movies.
(yeah i said it trolls! come get me!)

but i can definitely see your point.
i had to eventually unfollow a few FB pages of things i really enjoyed due to people acting like complete asses.

btw... at the DC panel, what were the audience doing that put you off?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #104
plastroncafe

It was a woman in the spoiler costume asking questions the audience didn't like, so they heckled her, and the moderators didn't really do much to stop them.

There isn't a DC property that I care enough about to sit through that basic Fanboy level of crap.

Turtles, on the other hand, I am very invested in.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #105
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It was a woman in the spoiler costume asking questions the audience didn't like, so they heckled her, and the moderators didn't really do much to stop them.
Was that the one with Stephanie Brown Batgirl asking hard-hitting questions? I think that was the last year they had big open Q&As with the audience.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #106
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Was that the one with Stephanie Brown Batgirl asking hard-hitting questions? I think that was the last year they had big open Q&As with the audience.
Probably.
It did not leave me with a really positive impression of DC Fanboys.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #107
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah I feel like the whole plant thing was way overboard. Heck he even called ME a plant at one point even though I've been here long enough he should have known better- or was just doing it to be "funny"(snarky). It's no wonder so many of the new fans left in a hurry if that was the "welcome" they got for liking the new movies.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #108
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah I feel like the whole plant thing was way overboard. Heck he even called ME a plant at one point even though I've been here long enough he should have known better- or was just doing it to be "funny"(snarky). It's no wonder so many of the new fans left in a hurry if that was the "welcome" they got for liking the new movies.
Yeah, there been many here accused of being a so called Plant, even though they been on this board for a very long time, some people just have different taste then others, that tends to divide the community, good thing we have multiple versions of TMNT out there, everyone has there own preference.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #109
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yeah, there been many here accused of being a so called Plant, even though they been on this board for a very long time, some people just have different taste then others, that tends to divide the community, good thing we have multiple versions of TMNT out there, everyone has there own preference.
Yup. I’ve been called a so called “Plant” too.
Cyndaquilfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #110
myconius
Abby Normal

hey! there's worse things in life than being called a plant.

at least nobody was called "buttface" or "stinky poopy farty pants".
Old 11-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #111
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

While I do think there was a few Nick paid goons here, the plant thing went waaay overboard. All of those newcomers were NOT plants, I'm used to new fans dropping in on fandom message boards after a new product is released, even if the majority of established fans hate the new product. New fans that come with new product with new product is how a fandom stays alive and healthy; you don't chase them off, you recommend the older quality stuff to them, and win them over through arguments and persuasion. But during the release of the bay films, a few on the boards this boards started to attack ALL of the newbies who liked the film, and most of therm hightailed it out along with the real plants.

This kind of 'red scare witch hunt' garbage is the snake eating it's own tail, and is further proof to me of how toxic this place can be.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #112
plastroncafe

Exclusionary gatekeeper nonsense is the Cornerstone of conservation fandom.

Their love is less love of a thing, and more the obsessive stalking of a thing.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #113
Kamekichi
Random Punk

I've been mostly lurking here for 10 years now and I enjoy reading some of the threads but it isn't uncommon to hear about these forums in a negative light from others.
Kamekichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #114
Vegita-San
Emperor

the problem i have with nu fans is that they usually don't respect alot of the older stuff and tend to trash it just because it's old. who needs that around here?

where as older more original fans tend to USUALLY find something good in all iterations.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #115
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
the problem i have with nu fans is that they usually don't respect alot of the older stuff and tend to trash it just because it's old. who needs that around here?

where as older more original fans tend to USUALLY find something good in all iterations.
very good terminology this 'NU FAN'.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #116
newfan
Mad Scientist

Unless it's Nick San? (is that why you said usually)

As a new fan (and yes my username is horrible) I have been interested to explore the franchise and the variations. I also think it's important if you are joining a site such as this one, how can join in properly or appreciate the different views otherwise. Granted, there is a LOT to explore (so if I have come off as ignorant it hasn't been intentional btw) but it depends to what extent you want to do that.
Edit: That being said though, in the end the 'newbie' may still prefer the version they liked to start.

Last edited by newfan; 11-15-2017 at 09:53 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #117
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:

I haven't seen that. In fact, I've seen the opposite. You can see people trashing the Nick series on TMNT's official Facebook page right now, & it's been that way 5 years straight. You yourself as an original fan have spent the better part of 6 months bashing it, too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #118
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Unless it's Nick San? (is that why you said usually)
If I didn't, I'd have the vultures circling for the kill .

Even I can find something to like in the nick show, even if it's not my cup of tea and I think it's greatly flawed. just like next mutation before it, although not quite at that level.

with alot of the younger, newer fans, I find most seem resistant to the old stuff, and will only focus on the new for as long as it interests them. then they move on to the next new thing. only a few will stick around and get into the older stuff.

-edit oh who am i kidding, the vultures are constantly circling .

Last edited by Vegita-San; 11-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #119
plastroncafe

Old men yelling at Clouds don't like to be called Old Man yelling at Clouds. Film at 11.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #120
CyberCubed
Overlord

Vegita-san does exactly what he complains about, and I don't think he even realizes it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i_need_a_adult, sumac vs plastroncafe, toxicity