The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

The Mask Season 1 from Warner Home Archive

This is one of my favorite Cartoons and it has never had a home video release on DVD or Blu Ray till now.

Rob Paulsen plays Stanley/The Mask

When he dons an ancient Nordic mask, Stanley Ipkiss moves at warp speed, knows your every desire, satisfies your every whim, and dances like a dapper demon. Based on the live-action film The Mask, this animated series tells the story of sweet, socially inept bank teller Stanley Ipkiss, who discovers the magical mask of Loki, which transforms him into a super hero...but one whom you may not want to call for help.

This intriguing mix of edgy super satire and Tex Avery-style reality-smashing slapstick boldly goes further than the film and finds Stanley - and The Mask - falling into ever-more-improbable perils. Watch how he faces madcap menaces like Baby Mask; the man-hungry Lady Mask; Pretorius' Sister Mask, which exists to turn The Mask into a living puppet; the youth-stealing Skillit; and the most terrifying one of all: Stanley's dog, Milo (as a Canine Mask!). Rob Paulsen and Tim Curry lend their voices to the antics.

WAAAY back in 2005, the only TV-DVD release of The Mask (1995's animated spin-off of the '94 Jim Carrey live-action theatrical film) made up until now came out as a bonus disc. It feature the show's 2-part debut episode ("The Mask is Always Greener on the Other Side"), and was only available at Walmart bundled with The Mask and Son of the Mask DVDs that came out at the time. Fans have been clamoring for the three-season show to come out in traditional season sets.

Well, you're in luck! This past weekend (March 23-25) in Anaheim, California, the Warner Archive was present at the WonderCon 2018 Anaheim Comic-Con. While they were there, it was announced (including on the WBshop.com online studio store; see button link below) that on April 10th they will release an MOD (manufacture on demand) set of The Mask - The Complete 1st Season.

The first season of this animated classic had 15 episodes (by comparison, there were 30 episodes in the second season...and the third and last season only had 9 episodes, but the series finale was the first episode of a two-part crossover that finished in another animated spin-off of a Jim Carrey film: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective). We don't know yet what the Warner Archive's DVD plans are for the remainder of the show. But if The Complete 1st Season sells well, it's safe to assume the studio will release more!

Cost is $24.99 SRP for this MOD release. Below is the cover art, and between here and there are pre-order button links to get your copy via the WBshop online studio store, or at Amazon.com (however, as of this writing, the Amazon entry isn't accepting pre-orders just yet...check back, however!). Don't wait too long, because these DVDs will be....SMOKIN'!!!

Old 03-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

This was a great morning cartoon, they should of just released everything instead of seasons.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
This was a great morning cartoon, they should of just released everything instead of seasons.
I agree. I can't believe it has taken until now to get at least this.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
sdp
-

Why not just release the complete series? DVD MOD of a forgotten show is as niche as you can get.

Jim Carrey was everywhere in the 90s, I remember not only watching the Mask cartoon but also the cartoon of Dumb & Dumber and Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

The Mask had a crossover with Ace Ventura which didn't make much sense, I always wanted a Dumb & Dumber/Ace Ventura crossover instead since the styles of both shows meshed a lot better than The Mask's more "realistic" even if slapstick approach.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's because they made cartoons of every popular movie back then. This was pre-anime craze in U.S., so back then besides superhero cartoons they made cartoons based on movies.

Same reason WB greenlit a Men in Black cartoon, A Mummy cartoon loosely based on the movies, and Jackie Chan Adventures was made due to the popularity of the Rush Hour movies at the same time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
sdp
-

I kinda miss those days, same with the death of licensed video games. A lot of them were all crap but when you had a hit, it was awesome and elevated a simple movie to franchise status.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote