The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #41
Mutant Ninja Anole
Hench Mutant

Just here for a rapid reaction of quick thoughts. Okay, letís run this down in order:

Spoiler:

Page 1: The four turtles cradling their father while Jenny sits nearby, distraught but not quite in the group hug. I do think itís worth noting Jennika has lacks the full connection of the main four but Splinter was clearly a father/mentor to her over the past year or so. This would definitely hurt her beyond the general sadness.

Page 2: The funeral. Everybody is sad, Raph goes to his typical coping mechanism, IE being a loner and beating the crap out of anyone he can find who deserves it.

Page 3: So, I could break down the obvious Trump parallels and how I question if the giant expensive wall is even practical, but Iím sort of wondering, given how Jenny was mutated, whether the fear of people Ďcatchingí mutation isnít at least somewhat reasonable? How much blood contact or other bodily fluids could be used to transfer mutagen into a personís system and change them? The larger issue would be isolating Hob and his terrorist cell of course.

I do hope Stockman is shown to be at least intelligent in his handling of this situation. Heís far too complex and interesting a character to become a shallow political parody.

Page 4: That they would go their own ways doesnít surprise me, the sabbatical nature of Don sort of catches me off guard. Was expecting him with the utroms or something. I guess he deserves a break.

Page 5: Aw, Raph being the vigilante with a heart of gold, and a cute dino. The ďMĒ I suppose stands for Mutanimals, guess Hob has his thugs on the street. What species is the bunnyís friend BTW?

But yeah, let him do his thing.

Page 6: Mmm, okay, like with Don, let the guy get his bearings. Aw Mikey, Natural heís not handling this well.

Page 7: So what exactly is April doing with Stockman anyway? Working to mitigate or work toward a better future for the mutants?

Page 8: Yeah, past lives aside, the whole losing your old human life vs once being an animal is a whole nother angle.

Page 9: Good for you Alopex, may you and Raph connect on your shared altruism.

Page 10: So is Stockman or someone working to provide supplies and food in the city or what? Has he really enacted whatís essentially a sieged city situation here?

Page 11: Hey, possum person in the background!

Page 12: Lost kids, a real horrible situation. Unfortunately not unrealistic to imagine.

Page 13: Mona Lisa! And a platypus thug.

Page 14: Based on the racoonís weak appeal to authority, it does seem Hob has set up himself as a kind of defacto law in Mutant Town.

Page 15: What? No Iím a salamander not a lizard joke?

Page 16: Interesting she has an interest in Raph immediately. Trying to establish that old cartoon connection of simply observing how prominent Raphís reputation is in the town.

Page 17: Exposition! Also the Mutanimals arenít distributing things well, though it does seem that their are drops of supplies from the outside. Is Hob hoarding them as leverage? What a lousy thing to do if so.

Page 18: Weíre coming at you with exposition! So, nice to get some info on how ďglass half fullĒ Mona is and how their are people trying to live lives here, but thatís a bit heavy on the text.

Page 19: Gonna poke an eye out man.

Not sure how I feel so far, probably need another issue.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #42
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Oh I didn't even notice that line about Jennika getting dumped by Casey. I guess I know who's gonna catch the gay virus first! Anyone wanna put money down on this?
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #43
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Just read through the issue. I liked Mona Lisa's introduction. Also that joke about her name.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Were Casey and Jennika ever officially dating? I mean from what I remember they had scenes together and they went on a motorcycle ride together, but I don't ever remember them officially being a couple? There was never any kiss between them and it never seemed like Casey saw her as more than a friend even though Jennika had a crush on him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #45
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

A thought with THE BIG WALL is that Stockman eventually plans hand over all the mutants to Null. Sure he might not have expected to have them on his chess board like that, but boy if he ain't going to use that opportunity.

And what better way to do that than to ensure complete isolation so no one can escape and take advantage of any aggression that the remaining populace might be going through?

Stockman calculates everything, so he's playing his cards in a way most advantageous to him
Old 01-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

That is an interesting idea, if we ever see Null do anything in the main series by issue 150.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #47
hypered1
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Were Casey and Jennika ever officially dating? I mean from what I remember they had scenes together and they went on a motorcycle ride together, but I don't ever remember them officially being a couple? There was never any kiss between them and it never seemed like Casey saw her as more than a friend even though Jennika had a crush on him.
There was definitely at least one date at a hockey match that I can recall, but I think it was more of an off-panel relationship kinda thing.
As others have said the series sometimes tries to run with too many plot threads at once for any thing to really stick out from the big picture; it's why I'm hoping we'll starting getting back to more focused mini-series (like the upcoming Jennika run) as opposed to something like Universe which, whilst it was fun in it's own way, was a bit all over the place with it's ideas.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #48
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Due to the time jump. Seems like the Mutants have adjusted to living a normal life.

Mona Lisa says that there's a Mutant Band also.

And I do like the direction this series is going. There is so much potential to bring some other classic characters into this series.

And maybe someday TigerClaw will make his IDW debut.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #49
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Lots of thoughts. TLDR; For an issue with hardly any of the four OG TMNT in it, I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
I like the symmetry of Raph on his own in the wake of Splinter's death. It feels like a natural way to highlight many things: namely how this family has fallen apart without its father, how this is a new beginning for the Turtles, and how this is a new beginning for the series. (But I don't like Pepperoni being with him. I know, I know... I'm a heartless grouch.)

BUT I love Sophie to death for finally giving us Klunk, so I guess that's enough for me to tolerate Pepperoni's presence!

Poor April. I know how she feels.

I love that Don is writing. It should be Mike, but I still love it.

Jennika's direction seems promising and fitting; torn between two worlds, no grounding anymore with Clan Hamato. And her feeling like she doesn't fit in with the Turtles or is part of the family really works, because right now, the READERS feel the same way. I'm really looking forward to both Jennika and us feeling differently in a story arc or two.

And as much as I've always complained about Alopex, I really like this new direction for her.

Mona Lisa... eh. We'll see. Not thrilled with her yet, but I think it's cool she finally wound up in IDW.

The mutant platypus and porcupine both made me smile. And the plight of abandoned mutant children really works. Feels very X-Men. Can't wait to see how Hob's ranks have grown in the next issue or two, and how this plays out for the Mutanimals.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Klunk was the last somewhat important Mirage character to debut in IDW. I can't really think of any other Mirage character who hasn't been seen in IDW yet unless you want obscure Vol. 4 characters or someone like Mr. Braunze or all the superheroes like Stainless Steel Steve to show up.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #51
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I think Klunk was the last somewhat important Mirage character to debut in IDW. I can't really think of any other Mirage character who hasn't been seen in IDW yet unless you want obscure Vol. 4 characters or someone like Mr. Braunze or all the superheroes like Stainless Steel Steve to show up.
Mr. Braunze is not as obscure as Stainless Steel Steve. Ugh. I hated the Justice Force crew.

How about Gosei Hattori?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #52
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
I enjoyed the chapter a lot, and liked seeing the Turtles do their thing to cope with their loss and also not fighting and worrying about saving the world for once.

Are there any Akira manga readers here? Because this chapter really made me think of the Akira manga and i'm not sure if the writer did this on purpose or maybe its just a coincidence:
- Bomb explodes (mutant bomb)
- Big fightscene/war before the bomb goes off
- A part of the world is now in total chaos, people harassing others for supplies, people are depressed and friendships shattered
It could be an Akira reference but that's just what happens in war torn areas
Old 01-09-2020, 04:17 AM   #53
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

@cybercubed

Has Lord Simultaneous appeared? Only one I can think of immediately off the top of my head?
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #54
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Location: Palermo, Italy (Currently in Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
@cybercubed

Has Lord Simultaneous appeared? Only one I can think of immediately off the top of my head?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 Annual
Raptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #55
Shark_Blade
Emperor

So they really killed Splinter off huh. I donít know what to feel.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #56
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
That is an interesting idea, if we ever see Null do anything in the main series by issue 150.
that's if the series actually even lasts that long.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #57
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I think his ghost'll pop up at least once in the future. Maybe mikey just needs to roast some hot dogs or marshmellows. Heck might even be another crossover with the ghostbusters. Somewhere down the line I want to hear some polititon say "mr. Stockman tear down your wall!" Maybe the rock bands this universes digg.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I mean that happened last issue. After the 2012 show killed him it was likely he would die here too.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #59
Wentos
Foot Soldier

After so many things happened in the leadup to issue #100, there were a million different ways Sophie could have moved the series forward. She decided to focus on the mutation bomb fallout, which would be the most pressing as far as outside world ramifications go. It is a bit of a shame that three of the four turtles have been pushed to the side for now, but it's not like the world can stop just because the turtles have had a recent traumatic experience. Establishing the new status quo comes first.

I really like the acknowledgement that Jennika is an outsider and has no real relationship with the other turtles. It's one of many things that Sophie will have to work on in the months ahead, and the work started here.

I agree that Sophie's dialogue came off a bit amateurish, but God was it nice to read an issue that focuses on one set of characters and one situation, instead of trying to do three or four things at once.

After reading issue #101 I'm optimistic about the future. I've been pretty vocal about my misgivings with this series but there's nothing that couldn't be fixed with patience and proper care. Slow things down, downplay the subplots, and focus on the characters.

- Release the Nick show on blu-ray
- Release the 4kids series in a complete series or season sets

Only then will we be satisfied.
Wentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #60
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

I thought the conversations that happened between Alopex, Raph, and Jennika were written well enough. It's when Mona Lisa appeared and started dumping exposition that it felt forced. Just needs better pacing I think. It actually might have been fine if Mona was presented as a kind of chatterbox, visually overwhelming Jennika with dialogue. If that's how she wants to play that character out.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote