The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #61
Brodie
Certified Teacher

I think the controller is a non-issue.

The issue is the ******** they rolled out to tout the console. Sequels to subpar franchises, but too afraid to keep with a number indicator, and weak tech demos. Sculpting "games"? More Move support? Did anyone buy the Move to warrant this? And rolling out the same Square Enix tech demo from a year ago? **** off.

The games that actually looked decent enough aren't strictly available on this console to begin with.

I'm glad theres a console thats making it easier for developers to endeavor to do more, but this conference was a waste of ****ing time.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #62
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

well, i'm impressed with the ps4. 8GB of GDDR5... it's really incredible for a console in 2013. Look at how they were able to stretch the PS3's meager 512MB of much slower ram over all these years. Look at The Last of Us running on PS3 and imagine in 6 or 7 years what a Naughty Dog end-of-gen game could look like on PS4... we are in for some great stuff.

I will be first in line to pre-order at my local gamestop. i'm fully expecting 500-600USD

How could you be disappointed in that event? We had 2 hours of content, it was basically an E3 level conference months before E3 and there's still a lot left for them to reveal about the hardware and software. E3 is gonna be crazy. The worst part for me was square-enix who showed THE EXACT SAME VIDEO we'd seen many months earlier. WTF is wrong with square...
Zulithe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #63
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Wow didnt realise PS4 was revealed. I assumed theyd wait for E3.

Sounds good and all, I just wish companies would cut the BS and at least announce their stuff when theyre doing it. Instead they play around like last year with tablet connectivity and stuff. Come on we all knew PS4 and Xbox 3 (Infinity) were gearing up for 2013.

Nintendo didnt lollygag around Wii U, first tacking in some glorified novelty that'll hardly be used while we wait for real news. They announced it, said what it was then revealed it.

Also I love how they always say the "future of gaming" and longer life cycles because its so powerful.

Like PS3 with the cell? (came out in '06?) 6 years later PS4...thats the average cycle. I dont mind Im just saying dont act like its gona dominate the next 10-15 years.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #64
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
How could you be disappointed in that event? We had 2 hours of content, it was basically an E3 level conference months before E3 and there's still a lot left for them to reveal about the hardware and software. E3 is gonna be crazy. The worst part for me was square-enix who showed THE EXACT SAME VIDEO we'd seen many months earlier. WTF is wrong with square...
2 hours of content. An hour and a half of which was spent on a guy nearly having an orgasm over opening a car door, J.Blow blabbing about 'enriching experiences' before showing an IHOP puzzle game and some old guy's face that won't look anything like it did when a game is actually made.

Then of course you have sequels to the franchises that barely anyone cares about or likes. I'm sure Killzone will set the world on fire. Pretty sure...Not sure at all.....No.

You can say that it's a powerhouse and blah blah blah but I've grown past giving a sh*t about how pretty the game is. When they actually showed Killzone in motion it looked EXACTLY like every other Killzone game. Big whoop.

@~<3 Mom~@

Last edited by The Stryker; 02-21-2013 at 06:02 AM.
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #65
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

No interest in Killzone here. But Capcom's Deep Down and the new footage of Watch Dogs showed me a glimpse of what we can expect in the next couple years.

I watched it all live but the stream was poor quality at times. Thankfully we have full 1080p videos now.

deep down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ysZ5NdoVP2Q
watch dogs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaVLNlzAjHM
destiny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=6kJkiwDeWqQ

The first round of games on any new system is going to be rife with disappointment. But if this is what disappointment might look like I'll roll with it.

The power that comes with something like the PS4 is not just about making better graphics. I've seen some comments (a minority, so far at least) stating that games look only marginally better than PS3. Well, to me they look substantially better, but maybe I just know what to look for. Regardless though, consider things like enemy AI, draw distance, FPS, loading between zones, dropping out of the game into the PS4 UI and then back in, the new livestreaming feature (which also works with a webcam requiring even more load)... these are all things the system needs to do satisfactorilly so of course it's not all about just making thing look more realistic. Right now things are just a small visual bump up, but that will improve in time as developers get more intimate with the hardware. blah blah... should all be pretty obvious info to anyone who's been console gaming for a while, but the way some people talk I get the feeling they haven't

Last edited by Zulithe; 02-21-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #66
Peanut
Second Gear

Don't kick the hornets nest that is this section with accusations of a lack of experience or knowledge. Just a friendly heads up.

Also, we don't do the "laymans hardware analysis based on little to no actual technological knowledge" thing around here, so leave that **** for NeoGAF.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #67
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I don't analyze hardware, I know it's not my area of work. I trust people who do though. Hornets don't phase me, especially not the ones here.

I'm sure your technical knowledge is far and above my own, oh mighty Peanut. Enjoy that Virtual Boy! I passed on that one.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #68
Brodie
Certified Teacher

What a ****ing joke.

Since you know so much about hardware, and how amazing it'll be---tell us all more about the Move functionality. And how Sony is going to keep prodding consumers with it, in hopes that they'll finally sell a couple.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #69
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I'm more of a VR kinda guy, not motion controls like the move and kinect. All I want is for the PS4 to be compatible with Oculus Rift or something very similar to it. Couple that headset with some "sensor gloves" of some sort for your hands and/or other body parts and we'll see games like nothing before. I will consider buying move hardware if the right compelling software for it comes to market. Sony has to sell move to developers before they can sell it to us. I thought the demo they showed yesterday was a step in the right direction.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #70
JoshDA7X
Hench Mutant

I don't understand all the hostility? If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as. I've heard and read so much **** about the new consoles that I'm not even remotley excited anymore. I'll just wait and see what happens and then make my decision rather than getting all uptight and upset about it when at the end of the day it really doesn't matter!

Donatello: You're a claustrophobic.
Casey Jones: You want a fist in the mouth? I've never even looked at another guy.
JoshDA7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #71
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I don't disagree... most people will buy a ps4 when/if the right games come out that they want and that's all anyone cares about. I know I'll buy a PS4 because I already have a pretty good idea what sort of games and by which publishers will come to it, so I don't have to consider it any further than that. Besides, console/hardware wars don't interest me since I'm not penching pennies deciding which one to get and which to skip. I just buy them all and enjoy the strengths of each.

Plenty of gamers are jaded, it's fine with me if they don't find the PS4 exciting, but if you don't like it don't try to ruin it for those that do. I think it's an appropriate level of upgrade for a console generation that's gone on far too long.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #72
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Are you really gonna go with the 'don't ruin the fun' thing? It's a discussion thread.

I'm just saying that everything I saw last night was completely bland and uninteresting. None of it made me feel like it was the unveiling of the next generation. The ONE thing that was new (the streaming stuff) seemed like a pie in the sky fantasy that probably won't pan out. Sure it's an acceptable upgrade but excuse me for wanting something alittle better than "Huh, that looks ok."

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #73
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Sony is not Nintendo. Nintendo makes games, and consoles are secondary. They come up with gameplay ideas, then they build a console around it. That's why other developers don't want to use it, and Nintendo doesn't care.

The important thing about this presentation is that Sony is taking a polar opposite approach. I don't place the responsibility of making games on Sony's shoulders. The games will come.

And Sony, no doubt, has more up their sleeve for E3.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #74
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I don't analyze hardware, I know it's not my area of work. I trust people who do though. Hornets don't phase me, especially not the ones here.

I'm sure your technical knowledge is far and above my own, oh mighty Peanut. Enjoy that Virtual Boy! I passed on that one.
I don't know SH*T about hardware, so I don't talk about it and I don't think anyone without very specific knowledge of it should. Great job making assumptions.

Also, go f*ck yourself.

God damn new kids.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #75
Super Moderator

Does anyone really like video games anymore?
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #76
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I doooooo.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #77
Super Moderator

I hate it when I leave my PSP at work. I wanna play Superstar Saga!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #78
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
If you guys will excuse me, I'm just gonna go play my Turbografx and stroke my Virtual Boy.
Is that a metaphor?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #79
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Is that a metaphor?
If only it was.....

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #80
Super Moderator

I like to stroke my Chrono Trigger every now and then.

Tags
depressing, microsoft, nintendo, peanut, sony, video-games