The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Can someone explain to me the PS4 VR stuff?

How and what is it? I see a commercial for "Playstation VR" coming out soon but I remember even a couple of years ago, people were playing Alien Isolation and Batman Arkham VR... is that a separate VR helmet/deal? What is Oculus Rift? What does it all mean?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

That Krutch guy is the only one who cares about VR stuff. He'll tell you.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

VR is a total waste of money, isn't it like $600 last time I checked? lol
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It's garbage, plain and simple.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

VR was supposed to be the next big thing back in... 1994-1995? Otherwise Nintendo would not have made the Virtual Boy. Who even made the mistake of buying that system back then?

The concept of VR is pretty cool, but I dunno if our technology will ever be good enough for it to be pulled off well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Has anyone actually tried any PS4 VR stuff or are you all just expecting that it's terrible?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I promise you they haven't tried it. That's why I'm not giving any opinions. All I can say is only like one or two people can really help you out here.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I promise you they haven't tried it. That's why I'm not giving any opinions. All I can say is only like one or two people can really help you out here.
Fair enough.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've tried it, and enjoyed it.

(Mostly just to play Wayward Sky. It's not a fantastic game, but it scratched my "VR Myst" itch...fortunately Cyan IS making something like that, though not in the Myst lineup)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
sdp
-

I don't remember if I've used PSVR or not but I've used pretty much every major Virtual Reality device available. The problem with Playstation VR is the PS4 is not powerful enough to run VR well so there will be some compromises.

Occulus Rift are glasses that were developed by the creator of Doom who is a pretty smart guy and funded on kickstarter only to be bought out by Facebook, so they're the ones who started this new VR trend and once FB wanted in on it more people wanted in on the pie. Occulus is only for PC.

HTC has the Vive which Steam backs as "the one" you should go for. I think it's superior to Occulus but it doesn't have the $$$ behind it and HTC isn't doing so hot either.

Both devices are the best right now and pretty cool.

Then you start dwelling into cheaper alternatives like Samsung's, or Google Cardboard which get the job done but it's not the same. It's like comparing a go kart to an actual car if you're using your phone as VR.

As far as VR, it's not hype, it's literally the future, this is just the early phase of VR, to run it and really notice how cool it is you need some expensive equipment that the cheaper alternatives just can't do. Give the technology a few years and it will be revolutionary and not just in gaming. Eventually the devices will be cheaper and even wireless. If you have the extra money then go for it now, it's awesome to see it develop slowly.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So the Playstation VR has come down to $100 at the local pawn store.

Is Playstation VR a worthwhile purchase? Does it have a future or even a good library?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Only game I played was FNAF VR and holy ****, complete immersion. It literally puts you right in the pizzeria as if you were really there. You can even peak outside the door and see the haunted buggers walks down the hall towards you.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #13
TommyT
Banned

VR is awesome, but you need the right gear. Not sure if Playstation is as good as the Vive, but it’s worth looking for a place that offers a VR experience, like the VOID, and seeing if it’s your jam. Some people get motion sickness.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So the Playstation VR has come down to $100 at the local pawn store.

Is Playstation VR a worthwhile purchase? Does it have a future or even a good library?
There isn't a lot of content but there's definitely a few amazing experiences on PSVR, I'd buy it if I had a PS4. be aware that it's not as good as occulus rift and the PS5 will have a better VR set. It's a cheap way to get into VR really.

Astro Bot, Rez, Tetris Effect and REVII are the ones I've been able to play on PSVR.

Last edited by sdp; 09-12-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:09 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Got it. I've got Creed coming tomorrow, so right now all I've been able to play is the "VR Mode" in Tekken 7 (totally useless and pointless, if fun to look up and around) and "VR Playroom." Which is super fun! My daughter and I had a blast with that.

Are there games that track your hand movements? Is it all just head moving and controller-based stuff?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-15-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
sdp
-

How's Creed ? I enjoyed the demo, is the full game worth it ?
Should've bought it in the occulus sale but hadn't tried the demo yet
Old 12-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How's Creed ? I enjoyed the demo, is the full game worth it ?
It was amazing! It really feels like you're boxing in there, and gets intense fast. Also... it's hard to keep playing it because it wears you the f*** out.