The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer physical media or digital releases?
Physical media 17 56.67%
Digital releases 4 13.33%
Both 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Do you prefer physical media or digital releases?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:47 AM   #2
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I generally buy physical media. Mostly, in the case of 3DS games, because it can be found cheaper second-hand than the Nintendo eshop prices. It generally depends on whether something is exclusively digital, or whether the digital version is cheaper than the physical version.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

For games, physical. Because the Xbox, PS4, 3DS, Vita etc has limited drive storage.

For movies & musics - digital. Because I have vast storage and I like carrying large library around. Easy to add drop even. Physical media won't cut it.

So ultimately I prefer digital over physical. Physical medias will likely die away like Blockbuster and the Dodos did.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
mrmaczaps
Banned

Physical. Digital comics can never be signed or framed or really even sold second hand if money gets tight. Hard drives can crash. Cloud storage can be hacked. And actually, I own a ton of digital music files on Amazon but neither my ohone or tablet has the right player or passcode or some such that will allow me to download it to play it whereever I want. And its nice to be able to disconnect for a while too and throw a cd in the player and drive...

Never could understand the digital only types...

Had some digital comics I bought, computer crashed and I lost the files. Went to the website to download them all to my tablet and the site closed up shop. Could go to the site they're on now but I'd have to buy them again...

Print/physical media will never go away completely.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I would say physical... but I haven't bought a blu-ray in years.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Both.
I like being able to purchase things that live in the cloud, and then tangible copies to keep for me.

I do this a lot with comics. Buy digital to read, and then physical to collect.
(Because let's be honest, unless we can download DRM free, we don't own any digital media we buy. We rent it.)
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I get my games physically because of the discount I get at Best Buy; if it wasn't for that, I would absolutely buy them digitally.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I like physical copies but Everything I do is digital nowdays so that gets my vote.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I like having my Movies Physical I always give my Digital Copies away.

I prefer having Comics Physical cause I like holding in my hands what I am reading. Trying to read on my computer a digital comic is weird.

I have Digital Music because its Easier and Itunes keeps it nice and organized.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I like having physical media, but also like building up my digital library, so when ever I get a new blu-ray I always register my digital copy.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 AM   #11
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Cloud storage can be hacked.
It depends on what you're storing and whether it's something you wouldn't particularly want other people getting their hands on. Dropbox was hacked, but the passwords were encrypted and they forced password resets.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #12
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I buy music digitally, and I have been known to download the odd game from Steam or wherever, but for the most part, I still find disks more convenient than the cloud. Still, games are getting to the point now where you have to pretty-much download the whole thing again anyway, so maybe the disks don't make much sense anymore.

I much prefer movies on disk. There's no farting around, no need to back stuff up, or worry about connectivity, and all the audio tracks, subtitles, and extra features are in one place. Once I've bought a disk, I can watch it whenever I want; I don't have to worry about it vanishing at the end of the distributor's license period. Plus, it looks cool having loads of movies on a shelf.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Normally I'd say physical, but my generalized apathy has steered me more toward digital over the last 2-3 years. Both have their appeal.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I prefer to actually have something with me that I own, so definitely physical.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #15
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It depends on what you're storing and whether it's something you wouldn't particularly want other people getting their hands on. Dropbox was hacked, but the passwords were encrypted and they forced password resets.
There is also that little issue of things that either don't get backed up and/or the hosting site being shutdown... A friend had a digital comic that I paid to read and I didn't get them backed up before my computer crashed. Now the site is not up and running. I could always see if he would email them to me, but... space is an issue on my tablet.

Although, space is an issue in my home with my physical comics... haha
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Having it digitally has advantages and disadvantages, the advantage of having it as online storage and not having to deal with the amount of clutter, when you run out of space at home to store your physical copies, the disadvantage of it being online, and not being able to watch any of the movies if your in some place that has no internet, Though you have the advantage of downloading them as a file you can play on any device offline.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Physical. I like having a hard copy in hand. I like when I used to be able to just go buy the soundtrack of a film and it came with the pull out booklet for the tracks and had images from the film or other related art.

Have never bought a movie digitally. If I get it through my cable company, what happens if we changed companies? We lose any purchases? Not a fan.

Also, at least a physical release costs them more to produce those copies; digital stuff (be it music, movies, game items, etc.) is basically endless free money once they have it available. What's it cost them at that point, a little bandwidth? Not like the customers get that much of a savings, though the company does.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Silly as it may sound, I really cannot afford digital media right now. However, a decent $5 movie from the store bin, usually wins me over.

Digital media might be awesome to certain folks here, but I'll always be a big collector / fan of physical DVD / video game copies.

CD's are also welcomed as I usually convert / transfer the ripped tunes into MP3 files for my phone. That is about as semi-digital as I am willing to go.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #19
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I prefer physical copies of things as I like holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. Same goes for movies and music too.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
sdp
-

I like physical media but I don't have the room for it and the ease of use of digital makes physical something I no longer need. I'll still keep my favorite things in physical but my collections are now mostly digital or in process of since I can't have a stack of all the movies/books/comics/shows that I like and watch once in years in my house but in my harddrive they do just fine and they're easier to access/I end up watching/reading/playing more than I do.

Years ago I used to get some much crap for preferring digital but nowadays most people have switched to digital and I basically won all those debates with people that said digital would never be a "thing". That doesn't mean physical will ever go away though, and of course nerd culture forums like the drome will have a majority of physical media lovers but that doesn't mean the trend isn't digital nowadays.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote