The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #281
Aries10
Thug

The Tale of Murasaki by Liza Dalby. Has anyone else read this?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #282
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Finished 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' yesterday. Excellent stuff. I wish I had more books like it to read, right now.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #283
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Finished "Eragon" and am now reading a collected volume called "The Elric Saga Part I" by Michael Moorcock. Morbid stuff; full of incestuous undertones, flesh-fileting, drug-use, bloody battles and run-on sentences.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #284
RaphaelsOnlyGirl
Foot Soldier

I'm reading Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
RaphaelsOnlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #285
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelsOnlyGirl View Post
I was just thinking about picking that book up the other day.

I'm reading "The Glass Castle". I highly reccomend it, its a story about a pretty disfunctional family traveling all the time and finding places to live and ways to survive off little money.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #286
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

I am now reading judge & jury by james patterson...so far so good
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #287
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underoath740 View Post

I'm reading "The Glass Castle". I highly reccomend it, its a story about a pretty disfunctional family traveling all the time and finding places to live and ways to survive off little money.
Oh yeah, that's a good one. You'll enjoy it, until the end. Then want more. Like me, haha. (Er, I mean, I wanted more... Not saying that you'd want, um, me.... o_O)
Old 05-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #288
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Quote:
As monumental as everyone says it is or it might be, it's one of the most boring books in history. Do I care about which grass does what on the morning of a battle or about elvish grammar? I read all three books, all three are equally boring and if Tolkien had left out all the boring overdescriptive nonsense and the pages in a made-up language, then I'd probably have liked it.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #289
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
As monumental as everyone says it is or it might be, it's one of the most boring books in history. Do I care about which grass does what on the morning of a battle or about elvish grammar? I read all three books, all three are equally boring and if Tolkien had left out all the boring overdescriptive nonsense and the pages in a made-up language, then I'd probably have liked it.
QFT. I can't even describe the disappointment I felt upon reading those books for the first time. It took me well over a month to get through Fellowship, as I kept passing out while reading it.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #290
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

The books are boring as dirt. The only people who will tell you otherwise are little nerds who run around in elf or troll costumes and play collectible card games.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #291
RaphaelsOnlyGirl
Foot Soldier

Non-Tolkien fans scare me. I love LOTR. There is so much within the works of Tolkien, and they just leave me in awe. LOTR is brilliant, interesting, and exciting.Yes, the books are long, but not near long enough for us LOTR fans. If you haven't read the books, I highly recommend you read LOTR (and the Hobbit). LOTR is AWESOME. LOTR RULES. You know it does. Anyone who thinks they aren't the best books ever must have brain damage or is too stupid to understand and appreciate it. *yells at self for not shutting up* *yells at self to not talk to self* *hits self* O_o What do you expect from a sleep deprived freak....
Old 05-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #292
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul

I have tried to read the books but they are freaking long and too descriptive for my liking. RaphaelsOnly, some of your statements in your post were out of line and putting us down. That is unfair...not everybody likes the same pieces of literature.

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #293
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Quote:
Non-Tolkien fans scare me. I love LOTR. There is so much within the works of Tolkien, and they just leave me in awe. LOTR is brilliant, interesting, and exciting.Yes, the books are long, but not near long enough for us LOTR fans. If you haven't read the books, I highly recommend you read LOTR (and the Hobbit). LOTR is AWESOME. LOTR RULES. You know it does. Anyone who thinks they aren't the best books ever must have brain damage or is too stupid to understand and appreciate it. *yells at self for not shutting up* *yells at self to not talk to self* *hits self* O_o What do you expect from a sleep deprived freak....
Says the woman who likes "motercycles." You do know that you're walking a thin line already, so don't overdo it, please.

For the record, I have read the books partially. If I saw a page-long description of Frodo's hair coming up, I skipped that. If I saw too much elvish, I skipped that. All in all, I skipped about one book's worth of senseless babble. And if you can do that with a book and still get all the story's main points and twists, then there's something wrong with it.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #294
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Anyone who thinks they aren't the best books ever must have brain damage or is too stupid to understand and appreciate it.
Or maybe they just read more than five books in their lives.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #295
Dinny
Stone Warrior

If you replace the bits where she says "LOTR" with "The Bible" and "Tolkien" with "God", you'll get an insight into my old Sunday School.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #296
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Now then, after I've finished "Hector's Travels" I'm now reading, after I had lost if for about a month or two, "Daywatch." It's the second book in a series of, I think, four books by Sergej Lukianenko and it's about the going-ons in the world of the Others. Now, the Others live among us, look like us but they have magical capabilities. There are two kinds of Others, Light and Dark. The Dark Others aren't necessarily the evil ones, they're just the ones who have decided to make their lives a whole lot easier by using magic for their own purposes while the Light Others can only use their magic for themselves. And because Light and Dark almost eradicated all life on Earth in a huge battle a couple of millennia back, the two parties came to an agreement known as The Great Contract. In there, it says that the balance between Light and Dark must be kept and that there will be Watchposts to watch the other party. So the Nightwatch is the Watchpost of the Light, watches the Dark. And, vice versa, there's the Daywatch, which is the Watchpost of the Dark.

The books are quite awesome, full of intrigues and amazing storytwists. So if you want good magic/horror/fantasty stories, make sure to check the books out.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #297
RaphaelsOnlyGirl
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific freak View Post
I have tried to read the books but they are freaking long and too descriptive for my liking. RaphaelsOnly, some of your statements in your post were out of line and putting us down. That is unfair...not everybody likes the same pieces of literature.
Well, some of their statements put me down as well. They gave their review, I gave mine.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #298
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

No, we gave reviews, you gave an insulting rant. not once did we say that someone's braindamaged or retarded. On a related sidenote, this bickering ends now. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #299
RaphaelsOnlyGirl
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
No, we gave reviews, you gave an insulting rant. not once did we say that someone's braindamaged or retarded. On a related sidenote, this bickering ends now. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Next time read my whole post please.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #300
Peanut
Second Gear

LotR in general is awesome, but the books are some of the most overrated literature I've ever read. Maybe it had to do with the constant hype built up around the books. When I finally read them, I was less than impressed.

I'd even take some B-story Forgotten Realms novels over LotR. The Hobbit was great, though.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote