The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

$69.99 games are the standard now for next-gen

How do you guys feel? Most PS5/Xbox games are now going to be priced regularly at $69.99, an increase over the $59.99 standard since the PS3/360 era.

I'll probably be buying far less games brand new (oh who am I kidding, I haven't bought a game at full price in at least a decade already), but I'm curious how many of you feel about this. Switch games should remain $59.99 for the forseeable future at least.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

If anything, I see it as a potential positive if we can get the extra $10 out of the way as opposed to developers trying to nickel & dime us while we play the game. Sure, they may still try, but there has been a lot of push back and this could help alleviate the issue.

Another thing to consider is there may be more flexibility in pricing. Games like "Lost Odyssey" and "Miles Morales" are showing you can do great games with smaller scopes and a cheaper price. I like having those type of options, because as much as I love single-player games, I don't need them to all be upwards of 10 hours. I enjoy a well-paced, dense experience that I can replay.

Edit: Meant "Lost Legacy".

Last edited by AquaParade; 10-16-2020 at 10:37 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Ridiculous since they'll still be bloated with microtransactions and DLC, but yeah I mostly buy games on sale with rare exceptions and only console I care to own is Nintendo's, I'm pretty much done with console gaming otherwise. Play on PC I can wait for things to get cheap on steam and play on my PC or my VR headset so for me there's no need for consoles any longer in 2020 outside Nintendo.
Sucks for those who are going to be gaming on PS5/Xbox.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Well, that sort of paints a wide brush on every developer, which can be inaccurate. Not every developer implements micro-transactions right now. You have developers like CDPR and Naughty Dog who are making very dense games and giving away free updates.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Thank God for game pass.

Also, Lost Odyssey is a game from like 2007.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

Whoops. I was thinking of "Lost Legacy", the Uncharted game. But yeah, it certainly makes Game Pass all the more valuable.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sadly I still have to get a PS5 because I like Sony's exclusives, and there's no other places to play most of them.

Demon Souls, Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, the next God of War and Horizon 2, and whatever Naughty Dog does next (The Last of Us Part 3 or another Uncharted), are all still exclusive besides the years late port of Horizon on PC. If Sony's games weren't still exclusive to PS5...I probably wouldn't have a reason to get a PS5 at all. But I also buy third party games there too.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Perhaps had the system came out a year or so ago, but in the USA a good part of the country is still in lockdown. There really not going to have the money to spend about 70 bucks on.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Meh. By the time it is worth it to buy a PS5 I doubt it will still be the case.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Perhaps had the system came out a year or so ago, but in the USA a good part of the country is still in lockdown. There really not going to have the money to spend about 70 bucks on.
PS5 pre-orders and Xbox pre-orders are already off the charts. "Gamers" don't care about a pandemic, they spend their money on games.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

It's among the very best ways to pass the time while you're "not allowed" outside, if nothing else.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean people also have enough money to spend. PS5 costs between $399-499 depending on the model, and the next Xbox is $299-$399 as well. Couple that with a few games and maybe a second controller...you're already spending nearly $1000 just on games.

Despite the "pandemic" the fact that all these millions of people have nearly $1000 to just spend on videogames this November says enough in itself.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Not me, I blew it all on toys.

To be fair, I NEVER buy consoles within the first 2 years of release as a general rule, because the hardware is always faulty and there's barely any good games out yet, anyway. So I wasn't getting the new XBox or the PS5, regardless. I don't even have a PS4 yet. Literally every game I would wanna play on PS4 came out on XBox One as well except for, like, three or four games. Not a good investment from my personal position, I'll end up playing those games One Day anyway. I'm fine with that.

By this point I expect those games will be re-released and re-re-remastered for PS5, so I feel less bad about skipping the PS4. By the time I get around to the "new" consoles coming out this year, they'll be much more reasonably-priced and have lots of good games out for them.

Not to mention, all those "$69.99" games will be about $20 by then, too.

I have to admit that I always shake my head at the early-adopters of consoles. They're always the most expensive and worst possible version of the hardware. When it comes to game consoles it definitely pays to wait a while. I do kinda get the "I just don't wanna wait" thing but in the end my money's more valuable than that. I'm perfectly fine with delaying gratification. I'm also kind of a cheap bastard.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

I usually wait 2 years in for non-Nintendo consoles. The PS4 came out in 2013, but I got mine in 2015. Same for PS3...it came out in 2006 but I waited till 2008 and got the one bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4.

Funnily enough all my old consoles still work to this day. My PS3 from 2008 works fine 12 years later, I always read online people saying their consoles died or they had to buy "2 or 3" of the same console...I've never done that.

I have my Super Nintendo from 1992 and it still works as well! Hell, even my NES from 1988 that got when I was 3 years old, but I haven't plugged it in for about 15 years so maybe it doesn't, heh.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I usually wait for price drops.

I mentioned in another thread buying new gen consoles are not worth it because we know Slims are being made and there’s often technical problems at first.

$70 is way too expensive for new releases regardless if you can afford it. Also big games tend to get special editions with all extra content included.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to, like, buy Grand Theft Auto 5 for the third time at $69.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:10 AM   #17
Roseangelo
Emperor

I just play Nintendo. The top level games are $60 and considering that I've put 800+ hours into Animal Crossing, I've gotten my money's worth.

But there are also a lot of great games in the eShop for $20 or less.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I just play Nintendo. The top level games are $60 and considering that I've put 800+ hours into Animal Crossing, I've gotten my money's worth.

But there are also a lot of great games in the eShop for $20 or less.
Definitely play Nintendo, too. Though I'm like the worst video game player. I'll buy everything there is (even PS VR) and games and play each game for 2 hours and then... never again.

Lately, though, I've been playing the Kingdom Hearts trilogy on PS4 digital edition that my daughter begged me to get then similarly abandoned when it got too hard for her. I mean, I'd beaten part 1 20 years ago, so now I'm wading through part 2. Not bad.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

I'm buying a Series X at launch. It's the first time I've ever bought a console at launch so that makes it sort of exciting for me.
I haven't owned or played an Xbox since 360 so aside from downloading some of my old favorite games and checking them out with updated graphics, I'll be diving into the Master Chief Collection for the first time. I've played most of the games before, but it will be fun to go through the improved version with my friend who has a PC. That alone makes the upgrade pretty much worth it, since none of my friends either have a Playstation or play the same games I do.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Meh. By the time it is worth it to buy a PS5 I doubt it will still be the case.
Remember when brand new NES games (cartridges) were always basically 60 bucks?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote