The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Was making them Teenagers a good idea?
Yes 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #61
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Captain Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Zack is pretty much there to be a stereotypical stand-in for any kid who wished they could hang out with the Turtles...or any superhero for that matte.
Captain Planet had a similair episode, The Littlest Planeteer with a young boy following the teenagers on their adventures.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #62
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
But also a lot of other modern depictions of Robin were always popular. The Batman: TAS Robin who debuted in 1992 was always well liked. I remember even as a kid liking him instantly and wishing he showed up more since he doesn't even appear in most of the episodes.

Robin in the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon was also always very popular. I also like Robin in Young Justice.

I think modern cartoons (and by that I mean from the 90's onward, Superfriends Robin was still mostly bad/lame/whatever), learned how to make Robin cool from the start. That's why you can have a 13 year old or whatever Dick Grayson in recent cartoons and people still find him cool.
Because Robin in TAS and the Robin in Teen Titans(2003) always did have a edge to him. I think nothing points that out than the 2 parter in BTAS Robin's reckoning.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #63
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Honestly have no problem with April and Casey being teenagers. I mean it changes absolutely nothing. Adult/ Kid. They are still useless by the end game no matter what. But they have being human and "almost adult" going for them which is really all they both need. That's enough for them to be useful allies in the early game.

The only problem I see with them being teenagers is they have parents. And you have to be a bit clever with how you deal with parents. I don't like it when they are ignored completely.

So really in my opinion the age of April and Casey will depend on things like "themes" and how either being an adult or a teenager would help tell that theme or story better.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 07-14-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #64
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Honestly have no problem with April and Casey being teenagers. I mean it changes absolutely nothing. Adult/ Kid. They are still useless by the end game no matter what. But they have being human and "almost adult" going for them which is really all they both need. That's enough for them to be useful allies in the early game.

The only problem I see with them being teenagers is they have parents. And you have to be a bit clever with how you deal with parents. I don't like it when they are ignored completely.

So really in my opinion the age of April and Casey will depend on things like "themes" and how either being an adult or a teenager would help tell that theme or story better.
April was far from useless. She had superpowers. She was able to bring death, and than bring life. She was a God in power level when the show called for it. If she can make people vanish using her mind, and than reconstruct them later, means yes, she could defeat all 4 Turtles, Splinter, and Super Shredder had she just used her powers.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #65
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

True she had all of those cool powers but forcefully limited in her ability to use them because she wasn't a main character. So in a way she was made to be useless so the Turtles could have something to do.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #66
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Looking back, with the way they "Feature" April, I think it would of been for the best for them to have made April a adult.

I mean who watch say the Manhattan Project and not find it kinda of awkward consider April's age with that creepy warm rubbing April's butt in a close up shot? Had April been 18-20ish, the scene would not of been so well awkward. But they did make there own been with scenes like this in regards to April.

https://imgur.com/4zc2TXM
Old 10-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #67
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Well, the ratio of the mutation isn't fity-fifty, it's more 20% of the original DNA and the 80% of the invading species.
I know we're talking pseudo science, but this is some janky science right here.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 PM   #68
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

I think there are pros and cons to having April and Casey as peers or as adults to the Turtles. I've seen stuff I've liked about both takes. IMHO, I don't think everything about the rejigging in the 2012 show landed, but I think it worked for that version.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #69
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think it was a good experiment... however I question the reasons behind it. As in, it seems like it was just done so Donatello can have sexual tension with a human.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #70
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think it was a good experiment... however I question the reasons behind it. As in, it seems like it was just done so Donatello can have sexual tension with a human.
I just thought they wanted to have the friends be the same age as the turtles this time, given they seemed a little more teen like themselves here (more in the start anyway) I guess the thought could have been there too, that or additionally they just thought 'ah, seen as....' I mean teen boys can be attracted to young women but obviously no pursuing.
Maybe they thought kids would prefer older kids to adults? (seen as they have done it again) I dunno. I guess it never came up in any show Q&A's?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:29 AM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I just thought they wanted to have the friends be the same age as the turtles this time, given they seemed a little more teen like themselves here (more in the start anyway)
That's what I was hoping, too... except that went out the window a bit with the anime stuff with Don's heart beating out of his chest and such, pining over her.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:50 AM   #72
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I just thought they wanted to have the friends be the same age as the turtles this time, given they seemed a little more teen like themselves here (more in the start anyway).
Thats the impression I got too, that since the turtles are already teenagers in this version, that April and Casey should be too.

Its never been odd for turtles to interact with an adult April in the past, but thats because no turtle incarnation before the Nick toon really had them acting like typical American human teenagers.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:59 AM   #73
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Thats the impression I got too, that since the turtles are already teenagers in this version, that April and Casey should be too.

Its never been odd for turtles to interact with an adult April in the past, but thats because no turtle incarnation before the Nick toon really had them acting like typical American human teenagers.
Yeah when watching the movies or 2k3 I didn't sit and find myself thinking that these guys were too old to be friends with the TMNT, either works for me but as there are many versions I could appreciate this exploring this angle. As others have said though, the issues some had came more from the actual characters rather than the fact that they were teens.

Last edited by newfan; 10-23-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #74
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Also, when you think about it, Nick Splinter definetly seems younger than his other incarnations too when it comes to his stature and mannerisms.

So it wasn't only April, Casey and Karai who were made younger in response to the turtles acting like human teenagers, but Splinter too.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:34 AM   #75
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Also, when you think about it, Nick Splinter definetly seems younger than his other incarnations too when it comes to his stature and mannerisms.

So it wasn't only April, Casey and Karai who were made younger in response to the turtles acting like human teenagers, but Splinter too.
I don't know if that's why they did that with the teen friends, I liked this angle with Splinter too but then it went with the story of him being raised with Saki and his daughter only being 16.

Edit: So far as the teen aspect, though the turtles were more teen-like here (especially when starting out) they still have different lives to a regular teen obviously given what they do (as well as being different). To be fair Casey and April's lives were not that of regular teens as the show progressed and I can't imagine Karai got to be a regular child much past being toddler.

Last edited by newfan; 10-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #76
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
thats because no turtle incarnation before the Nick toon really had them acting like typical American human teenagers.
It's far more strange that they would act like typical American human teenagers than were they not to.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #77
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
It's far more strange that they would act like typical American human teenagers than were they not to.
Yeah, really. I'll never understand how that one just zips right past most people.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #78
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, really. I'll never understand how that one just zips right past most people.
It's been a consistent point of whining from the fans over the years. "Why, WHY do the Turtles never act like normal human teenagers?" And then complain about TMNT writers not doing that.

Answer: because they wouldn't, because they're pretty f***ing far from that. Even if you remove them being trained from the time of their mutation to one day kill a man from the equation (you know, from the source material), you still end up with 4 brothers being raised in complete isolation from society in a sewer being taught not much more than martial arts for 15 years or so.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #79
Leo656
The Franchise

I think most fans are secretly more interested in seeing themselves in the characters than they are with any kind of narrative consistency.

Consider how many people declare their favorite Turtle as "the one who's just like me!" and it becomes pretty clear. They'd rather see them behave how they WANT them to act, moreso than how they actually would.

Lots of projection and such going on. Kinda silly.

Also, "But they watch TV!" is the standard catch-all defense when trying to explain why they'd act like human beings despite being Not That.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 10-23-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #80
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
It's been a consistent point of whining from the fans over the years. "Why, WHY do the Turtles never act like normal human teenagers?" And then complain about TMNT writers not doing that.
While I am not saying that they should act like human teenagers, the word Teenage in the title does end up creating expectations in people, especially when their first exposure to turtles involves pizza and cowabunga.