The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

People who hated working in anything TMNT related?

Are there any notorious cases of people who've hated working for something TMNT related? Could be anything, from voice actors to live action film actors, to comic artists or writers, to animators, to the guys who did the Coming Out of Their Shells tour, etc.

Maybe there's a couple of well~known cases, but I'm not as into what goes on backstage in the Turtle world like some of you here why, that's why I'm asking these forums.

I'd be VERY surprised if James Avery or the VAs of the Turtles had hated doing the FW series. Hell, I'm pretty sure Avery LOVED voicing Shredder and Paulsen loved voicing Raph. Otherwise Paulsen would not return to a TMNT cartoon years later... right?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

David Warner, who played Professor Jordan Perry, apparently was very embarrassed by that role/film.

Fear not, the OT voice gang have always loved what their roles.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
David Warner, who played Professor Jordan Perry, apparently was very embarrassed by that role/film.

Interesting. Thanks.

Well, that's a relief, but I had a feeling they did. After all they seemed to be having a blast if their chemistry was anything to go by. They even seemed like they improvised on the spot at times. They probably did not, but it sounded so organic and their chemistry was so great that it made me think that.

They also all seem to get along well after all these years. I bet James Avery's death saddened the cast a lot.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Interesting question. I have doubts that there are very many overall, since entertainment (in various forms) tends to be the kind of work you get into because you want to be there? (Maybe some behind the scenes people who just needed work might not have been crazy about it?) On the other hand, I'm guessing that putting up with some ideas and direction you have no control over and are not too fond of are common anywhere, TMNT included.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Renae Jacobs

According to Renae Jacobs, the voice actors seemed to have a lot of fun when recording the voices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...)#Voice_acting
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Wasn't Jim Henson less than thrilled with the overt violence of the 1st TMNT movie?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Wasn't Jim Henson less than thrilled with the overt violence of the 1st TMNT movie?
I think you might be right about that as I did read a similar post that was made concerning the first Henson movie.

That could explain why SotO took a somewhat different direction from the first movie. It's a shame though because I actually enjoyed the seriousness the first TMNT movie had that the second movie lacked.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Could one say Peter Laird not liking the direction of TurtleMania and becoming burnt out to the point that he cannot finish his own preferred direction?
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I think you might be right about that as I did read a similar post that was made concerning the first Henson movie.

That could explain why SotO took a somewhat different direction from the first movie. It's a shame though because I actually enjoyed the seriousness the first TMNT movie had that the second movie lacked.
That is exactly why. Honor his wish and dedication of the film that was in production at the time of his sudden passing. The other reason is to give into the moms across America who also made Lord Zedd a goofy husband instead of a mostly confident and scary lead villain.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Believe or it not when I first saw the season 5 DVD extra I thought Cam saying that he got very little to none funny lines as Leonardo made it seem like it was a unhappy experience for him. I know that he really wanted to be Michelangelo and he has also mentioned that stuff at expos and conventions, but we've talked through fan mail and he assured me that he'd still never trade the experience and is very grateful to be a part of it. He clearly understands the impact his character and the TV show has made on so many people, especially those who were sick and went through very tough times.

Frank Welker actually felt that way about being cast as Fred Jones in Scooby Doo. He was always playing the all-American apple-pie guys and he wanted the role of Shaggy because he was a funny character. They did the right thing by casting Casey Kasem in the part and I also couldn't picture anyone else but Cam and Townsend and Leonardo and Michelangelo, respectively. In that DVD extra when Townsend tried to do Leonardo's lines, it didn't sound like the youthful leader I know and grew-up listening to.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
yet, he himself has always been trying to get into more adult oriented puppetry. seems at odds with each other.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Are there any notorious cases of people who've hated working for something TMNT related? Could be anything, from voice actors to live action film actors, to comic artists or writers, to animators, to the guys who did the Coming Out of Their Shells tour, etc.

Maybe there's a couple of well~known cases, but I'm not as into what goes on backstage in the Turtle world like some of you here why, that's why I'm asking these forums.

I'd be VERY surprised if James Avery or the VAs of the Turtles had hated doing the FW series. Hell, I'm pretty sure Avery LOVED voicing Shredder and Paulsen loved voicing Raph. Otherwise Paulsen would not return to a TMNT cartoon years later... right?

What I heard, is that paulsen left due to some draconian treatment of the VA's over at Fred Wolf Films.

When I interviewed Mr.Avery, he stated he just forgot to renew his contract.
But, considering he left mid season....I can't help but wonder if it was the same reason mr.paulsen had...and with fresh prince taking off, decided he didn't have to put up with it anymore.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Yes, I read an interview that Rob said they were paid less and treated poorly since TurtleMania was over and Rob having found other VA successes did not put up with it so he walked for the last 8 episodes. I always wondered why he missed the European Vacation episodes, but I don't think the thread I made came up with an answer other than his other work conflicted with the recording schedule.

James Avery forgot to renew his contract? I wonder the nature of those such as ending on December 31st or a full season of x episodes. Seems like it would be more to it than that.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Could one say Peter Laird not liking the direction of TurtleMania and becoming burnt out to the point that he cannot finish his own preferred direction?
Yes, this thread made me think of Peter Laird. I'm sure it's more complicated than I can understand though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Judith Hoag had plenty of complaints about the demanding producers on the first live-action film and was very disappointed in the final cut, but so far as I know she still appreciates her involvement with the franchise:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho....php?p=1326199
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=32832g

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
Galactus
Foot Elite

Michael Reeves didn't think the episodes he wrote for the '87 show were that good even though fans he's credited with some of the better ones.

Marty Pasko didn't seem to care for TMNT at all and only credited David Wise for what he considered the good parts even though one of the two episodes he fully wrote was a loose adaption of Donatello #1.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Michael Reeves didn't think the episodes he wrote for the '87 show were that good even though fans he's credited with some of the better ones.

Marty Pasko didn't seem to care for TMNT at all and only credited David Wise for what he considered the good parts even though one of the two episodes he fully wrote was a loose adaption of Donatello #1.
Had to Google Pasko's name, and came across this from Peter Laird's blog:
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....-and-tmnt.html

What episode were you thinking of as a Donatello #1 adaptation?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #18
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Had to Google Pasko's name, and came across this from Peter Laird's blog:
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....-and-tmnt.html

What episode were you thinking of as a Donatello #1 adaptation?
Basically Pasko handled the early Season 2 episodes when Wise wasn't available. He looked at the Mirage material for reference and hated it and said he preferred what Wise created with the turtles.

The Donatello adaption I was referring to was Curse of the Evil Eye. The Eyes of Sarnath (that all individually look like Kirby's crystal) bring imaginary objects to life. Adaption was probably the wrong word but there's little doubt that was inspired by it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Great, just what we needed. Another person to kiss David Wise's ass...
Old 07-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #20
Vegita-San
Emperor

like him or not, he made stuff people remembered, and have copied for 30 years. more so than the original comic.

And quite frankly, if it wasn't for that first cartoon being a hit, turtle mania would never have happened.