The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #1081
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Watched Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer recently, which was a lot of fun. It was a nice throwback to '80s horror as well.

Watched The Machine Girl yesterday, which was pretty over the top. In a way, I think it met my expectations.

Also watched The Mystery of the Wax Museum and I liked it. It seemed to get the horror mystery genre mix right.

Finished off with Tower of Evil, which was nothing special but still not bad. The plot did kinda confuse me, though.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #1082
Brandon
Random Punk

The Wrestler

if rourke doesnt win for his performance in this movie the awards are completely rigged, also the movie is by far the best i have seen, the only other movie that could possibly beat it at best movie is gran torino
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #1083
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Untraceable

d-u-m-b
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #1084
cqb101
Cinephile

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Simply amazing. Definitely in my top 3 films of the year.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #1085
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snackpants View Post
Untraceable

d-u-m-b
I haven't seen it yet, but a co-worker has. Since we work in internet security, he said he laughed all the way through it "'Oh, we don't have jurisdiction because the site's in Russia! It'll take us two weeks to pull the site!' If they would have called us, we could have it down in less than a day!"

Anyway, I got You Don't Mess With The Zohan for Christmas. It was a bit... weird, even for a Sandler film. But I still enjoyed it.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #1086
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

I'll repost since it got deleted.

THE SPIRIT.

Worst movie I have seen this year.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #1087
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Watched Ben-Hur recently, which was quite an amazing movie. It was time well-spent, I think.

And yesterday, I watched Pi, which is always engaging and thought-provoking. The grainy black and white look of the movie seem to fit with the madness and insanity of the plot.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #1088
Hannah
Once more, with feeling!

I just watched Wristcutters again. I can't get enough of this movie.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #1089
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Gran Trino, it ruled except Clint trying to sing at the end. It was really funny and also very intense. A perfect mix for me.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #1090
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Savage Grace and King's Highway, two awful movies, but oddly too bad to MCube. How do you mock a movie that has a scene of incestuous rape involving a mother and a son (with the mother being the rapist), or that says it's in the vein of Chasing Amy, but is sooo badly shot, acted and directed Kevin Smith should sue? They practically mock themselves.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1091
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Savage Grace and King's Highway, two awful movies, but oddly too bad to MCube. How do you mock a movie that has a scene of incestuous rape involving a mother and a son (with the mother being the rapist), or that says it's in the vein of Chasing Amy, but is sooo badly shot, acted and directed Kevin Smith should sue? They practically mock themselves.
What the hell are you talking about?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #1092
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

superman: doomsday went on TV last night
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #1093
cqb101
Cinephile

Saw Valkyrie last night and I loved it. Very intense. Very endearing story true story that was nice to see told on the big screen.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #1094
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Watched Cube a few days ago, which was a decent indie. I liked how each character reacted to the idea of being confined in a booby-trapped cube because it made for some interesting conflict.

Watched Sin City recently, which was well-put together. It's a pity there aren't too any movies like it.

Watched Two Thousand Maniacs! the other day, which wasn't that bad. I think it felt more worth my time than Blood Feast did, which was done by the same director.

Watched the 1945 version of The Picture of Dorian Gray yesterday, which was a nice classic. I liked its horror aspects as well.

And I finished off with A Scanner Darkly and it was above average. In particular, I liked how the actors played off of each other.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #1095
cqb101
Cinephile

Slumdog Millionaire

My third time seeing and I still enjoyed it more than any other film I saw this year. If you haven't seen it yet, shame on you.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #1096
Warhorse
Emperor

Marley and Me back on the 25th. Cute, cute movie. Mom wanted to go see since she read the book. It's also nice to see a film taking place in Southern Florida, where I'm from. Best part was the Kathleen Turner scene, for those who watch it, you'll know what I'm talking about!

Rented some movies too. No Country for Old Men, Death Sentence, Eagle Eye and Wall-E.

Loved Wall-E and Eagle Eye. I'm going to defintiely get those two.

Death Sentence was alright. Had Kevin Bacon in it, avenging the death of his son to a gang.

No Country for Old Men, it sucked for me. Don't know what was the big deal with this one. Guess I'm going to have to go by my old rule, unless I seen it before Oscars or other award shows come out, stay away from the winners! I was so bord with this film, I ended up taking it out after Woody Harrelson's demise. Stuck in a better movie with a similar theme, Leon, A.K.A The Professional. Gotta love Gary Oldman in that film, he was awesome!
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #1097
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post

Death Sentence was alright. Had Kevin Bacon in it, avenging the death of his son to a gang.
I enjoyed Death Sentence. The only thing I was confused about was

Spoiler:
why everybody tagged it as a "shoot-'em-up" movie, when up until the final act, where the bad guys capped the rest of the protagonist's family and he went to John Goodman's character for guns to blow away the gang, only one character had ever gotten shot, and that was the storekeeper where the first son was killed. Sure, once it got into that final act, there was a lot of gunfire, but up until then, characters were disposed of in other ways.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #1098
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
I enjoyed Death Sentence. The only thing I was confused about was

Spoiler:
why everybody tagged it as a "shoot-'em-up" movie, when up until the final act, where the bad guys capped the rest of the protagonist's family and he went to John Goodman's character for guns to blow away the gang, only one character had ever gotten shot, and that was the storekeeper where the first son was killed. Sure, once it got into that final act, there was a lot of gunfire, but up until then, characters were disposed of in other ways.
I wasn't really aware one way or the other at what genre this film was listed. But, this was not a bad movie. And John Goodman, what little scenes he had, was fantastic. He should do more characters like that!

My question about the film.

Spoiler:
Did Kevin Bacon's character die at the end or not?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #1099
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Fantasy Mission Force. It's both the worst and greatest movie I've ever seen.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #1100
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I wasn't really aware one way or the other at what genre this film was listed. But, this was not a bad movie. And John Goodman, what little scenes he had, was fantastic. He should do more characters like that!

My question about the film.

Spoiler:
Did Kevin Bacon's character die at the end or not?
Spoiler:
I think it's left open ended. I personally thought that he did, but it isn't made explicit.

Anyway, yeah, I liked this film. I think when I first saw it, I compared it to a more violent version of "Falling Down".

Tags
movies