The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Why were so many action-figures and vehicles never in any comics, TV-series or films

Many of the action-figures and vehicles from the late 1980's and early-1990's never appeared in any comics, TV-series or films. (maybe some unknown minicomic) Why were these ever released? I only bought what I recognized (1987 cartoon, Archie Comics).

As far as I know the 2003 (and IDW) as well as 2012 only have toys based on the cartoons and comics.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-01-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Playmates made up a bunch of new mutants to sell as toys.

My guess is the writers of the OT then picked and chose which ones they wanted to put into episodes and just ignored the others.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Playmates made up a bunch of new mutants to sell as toys.

My guess is the writers of the OT then picked and chose which ones they wanted to put into episodes and just ignored the others.
But wouldn't it be better to wait with releasing the toys until they'd appeared in any cartoon episode or Archie comic book.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But wouldn't it be better to wait with releasing the toys until they'd appeared in any cartoon episode or Archie comic book.
I don't think it really mattered considering more people remember the toys than specific episodes of the show. And the toys were QUALITY too.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its too bad Archie never got a small stint in the toyline. Seeing the Archie Mutanimals, Armaggon, Null, etc. all get toys in the 90's would have been amazing.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Its too bad Archie never got a small stint in the toyline. Seeing the Archie Mutanimals, Armaggon, Null, etc. all get toys in the 90's would have been amazing.
I know an idiot that swears up and down that Armaggon had a toy and immidietly dismisses me when I tell him otherwise because "You weren't around then, how would you know?"

The cob knobbler was shocked when I told him that the mirage turtles had all red masks.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I know an idiot that swears up and down that Armaggon had a toy and immidietly dismisses me when I tell him otherwise because "You weren't around then, how would you know?"

The cob knobbler was shocked when I told him that the mirage turtles had all red masks.
Somebody no doubt had a Street Sharks action figure and didn't know Street Sharks was a thing.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Somebody no doubt had a Street Sharks action figure and didn't know Street Sharks was a thing.
That idea has certainly crossed my mind.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

It's a good question. I was always bothered by the fact that the show & toyline rarely referenced one another.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

As a kid, I was convinced I must've missed an Ace Duck episode, since all of the other figures had been featured on the show at that point. I "time taped" every episode to try and catch it. If only I had the internet, episode lists, etc!
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's a good question. I was always bothered by the fact that the show & toyline rarely referenced one another.
Which was odd because the tv show was made to sell the toys.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
As a kid, I was convinced I must've missed an Ace Duck episode, since all of the other figures had been featured on the show at that point. I "time taped" every episode to try and catch it. If only I had the internet, episode lists, etc!
Yea when I was little I never saw an episode with ace duck
After rewatching these I obviously caught him
As far as the question for the thread, who knows. It's def disappointing
Old 09-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Yeah, I had that same experience with so many characters. Getting the DVD sets over the years always excited me, knowing I missed so much of the series. I was certain I'd be seeing characters X, Y, & Z. So much for that! Scumbug/Antrax, Merdude, there were a few pleasant surprises, but as we all know, mostly a letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Which was odd because the tv show was made to sell the toys.
Exactly! Makes no sense. You'd think they'd have had a good working relationship, as 4kids & Nick did/do. Maybe we were better off? Sometimes their toy-pushing agenda can be grating. Still, what a rogues gallery to miss out on...

Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah, I had that same experience with so many characters. Getting the DVD sets over the years always excited me, knowing I missed so much of the series. I was certain I'd be seeing characters X, Y, & Z. So much for that! Scumbug/Antrax, Merdude, there were a few pleasant surprises, but as we all know, mostly a letdown.
You didn't see most of the OT until the DVDs? Hm, I always assumed you were one of the kids who watched it in the 90's as it aired on TV. Especially judging by your age and posts about it.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

I saw probably 65-70% of it. Being born in 1990, I caught up a bit late. Reruns were on typically while I was in school, it made things difficult. If not for the fact I was sick so often, I'd have missed even more of it. My grandma would tape episodes whenever possible, & I'd also rent the home features from Blockbuster, so that's probably how I saw as much as I did. I did get The Next Mutation in its entirety though.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
The Stump Asteroid Intergalactic Wrestling Stadium could have been a great playset! Could have been with Cudley the Cowlick http://lavignebrownart.blogspot.se/2...-vehicles.html
Old 09-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #17
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The Stump Asteroid Intergalactic Wrestling Stadium could have been a great playset! Could have been with Cudley the Cowlick http://lavignebrownart.blogspot.se/2...-vehicles.html
That'd been really cool
I'm on a Archie comics run and came across that a volume or two ago
Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
That'd been really cool
I'm on a Archie comics run and came across that a volume or two ago
A volume or two ago? There was only one.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A volume or two ago? There was only one.
? ?
I have the trades that have been recently releasing. As far as I know there are 11-12 volumes thus far
Old 09-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Exactly! Makes no sense. You'd think they'd have had a good working relationship, as 4kids & Nick did/do. Maybe we were better off? Sometimes their toy-pushing agenda can be grating. Still, what a rogues gallery to miss out on...
Considering how they didn't produce toys for about half of the seasons of 2K3...