The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #21
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

LOL, wow...the potential for this thread to become a fiery, controversial thread about racial stereotypes. Personally, I'm not offended (I'm multiracial in case anybody was wondering) but just be careful guys about the posts because I'm sure there are far more sensitive people on this forum. I know Xav didn't mean to start anything, but you repliers watch out...lol

The most I've ever thought about race with the Turtles is that they are Americanized first-generation children from an Asian immigrant parent; NOT in terms racial identity for the Turtles but more about child upbringing and discipline. If anybody knows or is familiar with Eastern (Middle East, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) immigrant parents, they are typically STRICT.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
zkarlette
Fashionably late

Today I'm thankful for this thread Lol
But I mean really...this can come off as really rascist to some. The turtles just have different personalities that could be applied to any race.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

My two cents, you can't draw a direct line between a turtle's personality and a particular race without it being racist. How else would these connections be made unless informed by racist stereotypes?

Is Leonardo Japanese because he's the calm one who doesn't make trouble?
Is Raph Mexican because he is the rowdy uncivil one?
Is Mike white because he's the goofy wild one?
Is Donatello black because... well, I have no idea why he is. Because there's nothing left?!

Anyway, not trying to make you feel bad. It's just that this thread probably was not very well thought out... Even if unintentional, it does nothing but encourage people to think more on racial and cultural stereotypes. There's nothing wrong with thinking about these kinds of connections, but be mindful how it affects others when you share them, and if they are worth those consequences. I would say, probably not.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Sure the turtles on their bare basics can fill an racial stereotype. They are after all in basic form, stereotypes themselves as any character that is stripped bare.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior

HAHA! im not offended so much as dumbfounded at the lack of common sense. i dont think any harm was meant, its just f*ckin funny. *sigh* they should film this and show it every xmas!

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Just curious, is Mike white because he turned into a white kid in The Gang's all Here" in Season 3?

I wonder why did Mikey become white instead of black or Asian?
Could be cause a white guy voices him...? And anyone here is free to prove me wrong and bash me, but I have NEVER seen or even heard of a black surfer dude. I seen white rappers and I seen white kids 'talkin all ghetto, yo', but I never seen a black dude talk like 'oh so tubuloso dude!!!'

On that route, wouldn't all the Turtles be white based on their voices? Maybe Raph is Italian due to the Brooklyn accent? Come to think it, they live in the same city... why is Raph the only guy with the New York accent?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
On that route, wouldn't all the Turtles be white based on their voices? Maybe Raph is Italian due to the Brooklyn accent? Come to think it, they live in the same city... why is Raph the only guy with the New York accent?
LOL, we could also say why is Mikey the only guy with the surfer slang when they all stayed in New York and not California.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #28
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
LOL, we could also say why is Mikey the only guy with the surfer slang when they all stayed in New York and not California.
Um...TV?

No seriously, they lived underground for years, with only the TV to teach them about the outside world....heck it's right there in the 1st episode of the FW series.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Could be cause a white guy voices him...? And anyone here is free to prove me wrong and bash me, but I have NEVER seen or even heard of a black surfer dude. I seen white rappers and I seen white kids 'talkin all ghetto, yo', but I never seen a black dude talk like 'oh so tubuloso dude!!!'
I'm guessing you never heard of Kel Mitchell?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #30
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Assuming a race would only take away some of what makes them special. I'm certainly glad that there is nothing canon.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #31
Stingray69
Stone Warrior

Would they not all be Japanese? They all share the same human dna that made them who they are. So where would the differnt races come from?

Looking to buy old Kool aid flavors no longer produced.
Stingray69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:31 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
...The turtles represent different races?*

Leonardo = Japanese
Donatello = Black
Raphael = Mexican
Michaelangelo = White

*Not starting a racial issue, I didn't type it Politically Correct because that takes more time. Just wondering what anyone else thought.
Why does everyone always see Donatello as black?

Raph being mexican makes no sense, is it because he's quick to anger?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:58 PM   #33
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I never understood the urge of some people to want to draw the TMNT as human in the first place. It's such a stupid concept but whatever.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 PM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I never understood the urge of some people to want to draw the TMNT as human in the first place. It's such a stupid concept but whatever.
I guess it's part of the OC/fanfic/DeviantArt deal from the earlier internet days.

I do find it funny that a lot of times, Raph is portrayed as the 'black human one' even when the artist himself/herself happens to be black. Like they're completely unaware of the implications of making 'the angry and aggressive' Turtle 'the black one'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fred wolf series