Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #61
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
*shrug*

Maybe Galactose, then, back for revenge.
Steve Murphy and Ryan Brown actually own him, so maybe use someone else.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #62
Bircher
Thug

I think a few friendly words of encouragement via letters to Mirage would go a long way
Bircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #63
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircher View Post
I think a few friendly words of encouragement via letters to Mirage would go a long way
He's been harassed about this for years, he knows there's interest. Changes nothin'.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think actual letters to him might go a long way. I could be way off.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #65
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Oh, he's definitely written a lot of trash in recent years. Maybe I'm just being a fanboy, but I'm calling it a return to greatness.
I guess I'll see if I ever get around to it. Maybe it is. I dunno. I'm just skeptical, you know? I still like a lot of the classics - from the obvious ones to stuff like that time he teamed with Walt friggin Simonson for Robocop vs Terminator - But his modern day output really took the bloom off the rose for me.

But I suppose it could happen. Hell, I checked some of Mark Millars work from recent times after Nemesis made me nope out for five years or so and it seems he pulled back on the vile, disgusting nonsense that drove me off entirely. Huck is actually a pretty nice read and Jupiters Circle wasn't bad either, even if I had a few issues with the story of the latter, stemming mainly from the fact that it probably needed a bit more time given to a couple things. If he can do it, who knows.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #66
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I checked some of Mark Millars work from recent times after Nemesis made me nope out for five years or so and it seems he pulled back on the vile, disgusting nonsense that drove me off entirely. Huck is actually a pretty nice read and Jupiters Circle wasn't bad either, even if I had a few issues with the story of the latter, stemming mainly from the fact that it probably needed a bit more time given to a couple things. If he can do it, who knows.
if you're in the market for a good sleep aid? give Mark Millar's Reborn a try?
it's more potent than knock-out gas.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #67
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
if you're in the market for a good sleep aid? give Mark Millar's Reborn a try?
it's more potent than knock-out gas.
That bad, huh? I actually haven't even heard of that one. I'm kind of poking my head back into his work after Jupiters Legacy surprised me.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #68
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That bad, huh? I actually haven't even heard of that one. I'm kind of poking my head back into his work after Jupiters Legacy surprised me.
it's probably for the best that you hadn't heard of it.
i had such high hopes for it, but it just ended being very clichéd, predictable and just not very interesting.
even Greg Capullo's art couldn't save that dud of a story.
perhaps Mark Millar should just stick to what he knows, cheesy schlock.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #69
pferreira
Foot Elite

I think the only way Peter Laird is going to finish Volume 4 if he feels inspired through direct contact with TMNT events like conventions or doing press interviews. That might work, writing letters not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Now that would be a horrible idea... lol.
That is one messed up dream! Ha, ha!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #70
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
it's probably for the best that you hadn't heard of it.
i had such high hopes for it, but it just ended being very clichéd, predictable and just not very interesting.
even Greg Capullo's art couldn't save that dud of a story.
perhaps Mark Millar should just stick to what he knows, cheesy schlock.
Ooooh, it's the one Greg Capullo stepped away from Batman to do. Right, I actually forgot about that. Like I said, up until a couple weeks ago I just wrote off anything Mark Millar did. So Capullo aside I just shrugged at the announcement and went about my day.

Quote:
I think the only way Peter Laird is going to finish Volume 4 if he feels inspired through direct contact with TMNT events like conventions or doing press interviews. That might work, writing letters not so much.
Peter Laird very much strikes me as the sort who wants to do something less and less the more he's bugged about it, or he perceives as being bugged. I know the feeling. So yeah, I expect it would be more like what you say, or enough time passes and he's just struck with the urge to return and finish what he's started. Given the fact that he's actually discussing the possibility now, the process might have already begun.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #71
Bircher
Thug

From the letters page and other comments he's made, a general "please, please make some more" will probably not do a whole lot.

However, if the letters pointed out specific plot points that interested you and why, or ways his writing has inspired you, or substantive things like that are things he seems to appreciate.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
Steve Murphy and Ryan Brown actually own him, so maybe use someone else.
Really? I thought Mirage put a moratorium on over creators owning any characters that "first appear" in Mirage stories since TMNT Vol. 1.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #73
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Have there been any recent developments regarding an IDW reprint of the existing Volume 4 material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Have there been any recent developments regarding an IDW reprint of the existing Volume 4 material?
Nope. It's not being collected anytime soon. I'm not sure why, they could skip Image for now and go ahead and collect Volume 4 but it seems they don't want to do that either yet.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #75
Bircher
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I thought I remember Peter saying he had the rights to vol 4 and Nick didn't. He said he plans on doing a tpb.... someday.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #76
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Really? I thought Mirage put a moratorium on over creators owning any characters that "first appear" in Mirage stories since TMNT Vol. 1.
Murph told me so. Mind you, the issue with Galactose came after Mirage went full-on work-for-hire, and the legal indicia mentioned that Murph and Brown owned the character. I guess since that was a crossover with Moo Mesa, the rights to certain characters were part of their own deaks.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircher View Post
I thought I remember Peter saying he had the rights to vol 4 and Nick didn't. He said he plans on doing a tpb.... someday.
Dude, Nick owns everything TMNT that Mirage did.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 AM   #78
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I'm glad Pete still thinks about finishing Vol. 4, but if anything were to happen, it'd probably be in the future, a good amount of years from now. So I'm just gonna keep waiting patiently. No use psyching yourself up for something that won't happen anytime soon.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well in another 6 months PL turns 64, so I'm not sure how many more years he can wait before he loses interest 100%.

As I said if it doesn't happen within at least the next 2 years or so, I don't believe it ever will.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #80
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Just don't make it so the whole story was simply a dream from the boy who lost the turtles down the sewer drain so many years ago.
At the same time, I want to say yeeesss!!! And nooooooo!!!
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote