The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #101
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
So? Young people experience burnout all the time. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age.
If I remember correctly he initially stopped because he was working on the 2007 movie with Kevin Munroe, and he was still working on all the 4kids episode scripts with Lloyd Goldfine and Turtles Forever through 2009, so he likely just got burnt out.

However it's been...literally 8 years since then, and he's only put out what...around 3 new issues? And two of them had almost finished scripts for a while before he bothered to have Lawson draw them from what I remember?

He's 63 now so he was in his mid 50's at the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #102
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really hope Peter gets around to this. I don't want to find out one day that he died and that his epitaph reads, "He never finished Volume 4."
Man that would be a bummer right there.....
Old 09-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #103
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"I hope to someday return to finish up the story lines in Volume 4, but when that will be, I have no idea. I can only hope that when I get around to it, Jim Lawson will still be willing to draw it!"

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....l#comment-form

From a response on July 9th.

It seems like a minor thing, but saying "I hope to someday return to finish up" volume 4 is different than him saying, "Maybe I'll do it, but I doubt I will," as he's been saying for a few years. Maybe a small distinction, but it seems important.
Well, I guess this was only 4 years ago.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #104
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Well, I guess this was only 4 years ago.

Bidin' my time! Bidin' my time!

*guitar riff*

Bidin' my time! Bidin' my time!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:43 PM   #105
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Sadly I wouldn't bank on Peter Laird ever getting around to it, especially at this point. I think he's just done with all of this, and I can't say I blame him. Mirage had its chance. It's time to let go.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #106
AquaParade
Banned

Kevin made it sound like Peter is retired, when he mentioned asking Peter if he wanted to do more work on The Last Ronin. Sounds like he is done-done.

Sort of sad, in regards to how Peter’s work on TMNT just hits a lackluster dead end, but I always liked the ambiguous nature of Mirage’s future anyway.

It’s hard for me to imagine TLR being the canon ending now either though, given the differences to Mirage. The hints given in “Old Times” or the tales volume 2 issues are enough for me.

And I look at TLR as, of course, The Dark Knight Returns, in terms of canon. It’s one possible future for any version of TMNT, but mostly just it’s own thing. It’s inspired by the tone of Mirage and seems to be somewhat rooted in a past that reflects the first 11 issues of Mirage, which is cool too.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #107
CyberCubed
Overlord

The funny thing is Vol. 4 really did seem like it was wrapping up at the time PL stopped, the story seemed to be coming to a head. Raph was de-mutated from his dinosaur form, Don was still small (if I'm remembering right), but done with the whole mutated dinos/Utroms thing. Michelangelo was in space with the Triceratons ready to attack the Regenta, and Leo was traveling the Battle Nexus. April was also coming back home to Casey after her "soul searching" of being a drawing.

The only thing I wish PL didn't do was introduce an alternate Splinter in the Battle Nexus (or the real Splinter), as that was a plotline I wanted to see the most.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #108
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only thing I wish PL didn't do was introduce an alternate Splinter in the Battle Nexus (or the real Splinter), as that was a plotline I wanted to see the most.
That was like the last big cliffhanger we got...
Spoiler:
Donatello revealing to Raphael that the Splinter who died back in #10 was actually from an alternate reality and their Splinter was most likely alive and well.

and it does make me sad we might never get the full story on that reveal.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #109
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Didn't PL write on his blog that he had an outline for the remainder of the series (he indicated also how many issues he thought it would take to wrap everythign up)?
I think he also said that he might consider just publishing that outline. Of course, that was a few years ago now ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #110
mrmaczaps
Banned

I wish Peter would finish the outline and let Lavigne & Lawson finish up volume 4. He could do that. Peter just needs to over see it and its all good. I know those two pitched some ideas to Peter & he was oddly upset about it at the time.

Maybe some day Andrew can take the known plotlines & wrap it up....

The alternative is IDW hire Steve & Jim to do it, call it Tales of the TMNT and advertise it as the finishing off volume 4 and then taking different versions different places (like Universe should have done, rather than tie into the main ongoing)...

Can you imagine pitting the IDW version vs a Mirage alumn written/drawn Tales of the TMNT series? Then we could see just what kind of shitshow the IDW version has really become.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #111
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
I wish Peter would finish the outline and let Lavigne & Lawson finish up volume 4. He could do that. Peter just needs to over see it and its all good. I know those two pitched some ideas to Peter & he was oddly upset about it at the time.

The alternative is IDW hire Steve & Jim to do it, call it Tales of the TMNT and advertise it as the finishing off volume 4 and then taking different versions different places (like Universe should have done, rather than tie into the main ongoing)...

Can you imagine pitting the IDW version vs a Mirage alumn written/drawn Tales of the TMNT series? Then we could see just what kind of shitshow the IDW version has really become.
What gave you impression Peter didn't like them pitching the idea for wrapping up volume 4? Just curious.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #112
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
No chance. Jim won't draw it (not without Peter) and no way it'd be anything worth doing without him.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #113
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
What gave you impression Peter didn't like them pitching the idea for wrapping up volume 4? Just curious.
Lavigne was talking about how Lawson & him pitched the idea of either finishing volume four or starting a vol 5.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #114
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
No chance. Jim won't draw it (not without Peter) and no way it'd be anything worth doing without him.
Now that kinda sucks. I'd love to see it finished. Too bad Laird won't get involved somehow... some way.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #115
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
That was like the last big cliffhanger we got...
Spoiler:
Donatello revealing to Raphael that the Splinter who died back in #10 was actually from an alternate reality and their Splinter was most likely alive and well.

What I was most interested in finding out was...
Spoiler:
What happened between Casey and Karai. Though I think I pretty much know based on Karai's mannerisms, I wanted confirmation.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #116
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
What I was most interested in finding out was...
Spoiler:
What happened between Casey and Karai. Though I think I pretty much know based on Karai's mannerisms, I wanted confirmation.
For me, personally, I'd hoped...

* Mikey is revealed not to be the dad of the Regenta's kids.

* Casey DID have sex with Karai and Karai is carrying his love child. And/or possibly they begin an affair.

* The alternate Splinter is revealed to not be what he seems, and rather a Splinter trying to get one over on them for some purpose (also, perhaps when he tips his hand we finally get the realization of the future vision from Vol. 2 #1 of a Turtle killing Splinter).

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-04-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #117
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

* Casey DID have sex with Karai and Karai is carrying his love child. And/or possibly they begin an affair.

* The alternate Splinter is revealed to not be what he seems, and rather a Splinter trying to get one over on them for some purpose.
I think all these twists are probably the best possible outcomes for those dangling plot threads. I LOVE the idea of a Karai-CJ love child that could end up being a foil to adult Shadow in the apocalyptic future earth.

I sometimes forget that Shadow was not blood relation to either Casey or April, so it would be interesting to imagine a scenario where a biological descendant of Casey runs around interfering with his adopted daughter they raised together with the Splinter/Turtles' influences.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #118
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
* The alternate Splinter is revealed to not be what he seems, and rather a Splinter trying to get one over on them for some purpose.
That's a fun concept.

Personally, I think it'd be cool to see a Splinter from an alternate dimension, and have a fresh dynamic of TMNT vs Splinter. There'd be a lot of room to play there. Hell, maybe this alternate dimension Splinter isn't even "evil", necessarily. So, what could his angle be, if he is taking on the turtles? What does he know?

Again, a million different ways you could go with this, but it sparked my imagination.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #119
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I sometimes forget that Shadow was not blood relation to either Casey or April, so it would be interesting to imagine a scenario where a biological descendant of Casey runs around interfering with his adopted daughter they raised together with the Splinter/Turtles' influences.
That's exactly the sort of coda I'd want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Personally, I think it'd be cool to see a Splinter from an alternate dimension, and have a fresh dynamic of TMNT vs Splinter. There'd be a lot of room to play there. Hell, maybe this alternate dimension Splinter isn't even "evil", necessarily. So, what could his angle be, if he is taking on the turtles? What does he know?
That's what I'd wrestle with. Though again, I suspect the entrance of this new Splinter was Laird's way of finally getting around to fulfilling that vision of a Turtle killing Splinter in TMNT Vol. 2, #1. But as to the why... eh. Not so sure. They must have something he wants or he blames them for something. Maybe something happened to his Turtles and maybe he even went so far as to poison the "real" Splinter to take his place. Plus other trickery.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #120
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:

* The alternate Splinter is revealed to not be what he seems, and rather a Splinter trying to get one over on them for some purpose (also, perhaps when he tips his hand we finally get the realization of the future vision from Vol. 2 #1 of a Turtle killing Splinter).
It wouldn't surprise me if Mike was going to be the father.

Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking. Which stings since we'll probably never see what could've been. Not only does he have a new child coming but he didn't get to experience his scene with Karai.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote