The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #61
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of the Foot Clan View Post
I'm so happy Kevin Eastman is onboard with Bay's 2013 TMNT. They NEED Kevin and you know it's going to be badass if they're using his ideas and letting him do stuff he's always wanted and now has the backing by studio giants to do. Kevin Eastman is the man.
I think your post pretty much sums up the exact reason they want Kevin involved. Basicaly so they can point and say "SEE WE'VE GOT ONE OF THEIR CREATORS APPROVING OUR IDEAS".

We don't know if they're using any ideas from Kevin or to what extent he's involved. Historicaly speaking I'm not sure him being a part of this particularly means anything, I don't think he's the type to be the "bad guy" and go against the grain. Even if he was, he's not in charge so even if he stated he disagreed with a certain plot point or characterisation he needn't be listened to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt4lfecw View Post
I really love the new IDW comics. So I really like what Kevin has done with that so far. I'd be happy if we got something like that for the movie.
I could go along with the mutations being part of genetic experiments carried out by Stockgen or some other corporation, though I prefer it was it was done via flashbacks 15 years ago than use insta-mutagen.

I don't mind the reincarnation angle but I'm not sure I want it in a movie since we then have to deal with the reincarnation of Shredder too. But if they ignore this it the question how did Yoshi's pet end up as part of an experiment aaaand brain freeze.

This to me is why trying to make the origin more "realistic" or "badass" or whatever doesn't work for me. You can end up poking too many holes into these new twists that in the end it's best to just to the original.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #62
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Is this really an arguement? If I had a dollar for every person who passed themselves off as a real fan of something I could buy a home and car.
And how exactly do you prove yourself to be a "real fan"? I'm not sure what you would've wanted him to say. He said he loved the characters and is working closely with Eastman. I don't get how you can see that as a bad thing. It's good to hear Jonathan Liebesman is aware of the comic origin. Whenever he actually read the comics or someone told him about it, doesn't matter. He doesn't sound likes he wants to crap on the source material.

Last edited by Xav; 03-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #63
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Do you expect him to say "All I know about the TMNT I read on Wikipedia and I only just heard of Kevin when he was introduced to me when he came in to tell me ideas he had that we probably won't use."?

That's bad PR. You have to take everything with a grain of salt you can't just jump from one thing to the other and believe it completely.

"Michael Bay said aliens! RARAW!!! Oh, it's all ok now Jonathan Liebesman says he's a fan and he's working with Kevin Eastman. YEA!" comes off as a bit ridiculous and naive.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #64
Xav
Foot Elite

Look he's saying all the right things. I don't think we should be condemning a film we know next to nothing about. Chill, he said nothing in the film is final at this point.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #65
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I love it when someone who isn't a fan says crap like "fans will love it!". Really and you know how? I also love it when they hide behind Kevin Eastman because he offers consulting advice.
IDW did a bit of the same thing with Kevin Eastman and the rainbow bandannas. "We ran it by Kevin!" The thing is, he's never going to be a guy that's going to stand in front of the train. Now, he may jump on the train, or assist it, or suggest new tracks to go on, but he's never going to be the guy to tell people "No." And he's not even in any position to do that anyway.

Look, Jonathan Liebesman could have taken the opportunity to do any one of these things:

1) Say "Still early, but no, absolutely wrong, the Turtles aren't aliens in the movie." Bam, done. Crisis abated.
2) Tell us, "They're mutants in the movie. Period." Alien mutants? Maybe, but at least we know they'd be mutants. Crisis mostly abated.
3) Share with us his own passion for the TMNT, his history with them, love of the material (specifics would be nice, not Wiki notes) and what aspects, what this project means to him, and the rough idea of his vision for at least some aspects of the movie. That would make a ton of people feel a lot better.

But he didn't do any of those things.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-25-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #66
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Look he's saying all the right things. I don't think we should be condemning a film we know next to nothing about. Chill, he said nothing in the film is final at this point.
That's just it he's just saying all the right things.

I do agree that it's too early to get too bent out of shape, but everyone is really quickly shifting gears from "The end of the world" to "Oh Kevin's involved...we really dodged a bullet." Both reactions are very silly.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #67
lKevlKev
Random Punk

They might be working with Eastman, but the other creator of the turtles, Peter Laid, is not too happy with some of the ideas Liebesman and company are coming up with. He wants it to be good, but thinks that it is highly unlikely that it will be.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12130
lKevlKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #68
Xav
Foot Elite

But if Eastman says it's awesome it's gotta be right?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #69
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

I guess there's no pleasing some people.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #70
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt4lfecw View Post
I guess there's no pleasing some people.
No, we've just been burned quite a bit in the past, so we're a little sensitive.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #71
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

Im positive because I think with the new Nick show, figures, and comics everything is coming together for the fans. It seems that way.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #72
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
IDW did a bit of the same thing with Kevin Eastman and the rainbow bandannas. "We ran it by Kevin!" The thing is, he's never going to be a guy that's going to stand in front of the train. Now, he may jump on the train, or assist it, or suggest new tracks to go on, but he's never going to be the guy to tell people "No." And he's not even in any position to do that anyway.

Look, Jonathan Liebesman could have taken the opportunity to do any one of these things:

1) Say "Still early, but no, absolutely wrong, the Turtles aren't aliens in the movies." Bam, done. Crisis abated.
2) Tell us, "They're mutants in the movie. Period." Alien mutants? Maybe, but at least we know they'd be mutants. Crisis mostly abated.
3) Share with us his own passion for the TMNT, his history with them, love of the material (specifics would be nice, not Wiki notes) and what aspects, what this project means to him, and the rough idea of his vision for at least some aspects of the movie. That would make a ton of people feel a lot better.

But he didn't do any of those things.
This pretty much sums up exactly what I was getting at. The IDW thing was the first hint for me that Eastman is just really having fun with this. It's not like they have to listen to him if he says no. He could think an idea completely sucks but in the end it really isn't going to stop anyone from doing it anyway. In the film world it's really up to the producers. If they think it's gold Jesus Christ himself could tell them it sucks and they'd do it anyways. They have no obligations to Eastman he's an easy person to hide behind so hardcore fans don't rip them apart.

But honestly even if Eastman does think all these ideas are great that holds little weight to me. He's been very out of touch with TMNT for around half it's lifespan. Him getting involved now is cool and all but his vision for turtles was never really anything beyond drawing something he thought was awesome. The IDW comics are, in my personal opinion, nothing to get excited about and saying he's heavily involved is nothing more then an excuse to try and shut up the fans who don't like it. "Oh you can't dislike it a co-creator had something to do with it!" Sorry that logic doesn't work on me. People gave Laird crap for his decisions during TMNT volume 4. I'm allowed to give whoever crap for their decisions with the comics and the movie.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #73
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

^ lots of what he said! Though I'm still OK with the IDW series...for now.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eastman has never been as emotionally attached to the Turtles as PL. That's why after Bodycount in 1996 he had nothing to do with the franchise till 2011's IDW comics.

That was an entire decade
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #75
Baxter Stockmen
Foot Soldier

Am I the only one getting Transformers Autobot Stronghold ads at the top right of the page?

It must be a sign!! of DOOOOOOM!

Oh, i'm looking for a Sideshow Statues.
Baxter Stockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #76
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Him getting involved now is cool and all but his vision for turtles was never really anything beyond drawing something he thought was awesome.
He did co-write the comics it, wasn't just Laird doing everything himself.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #77
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
He did co-write the comics it, wasn't just Laird doing everything himself.
The past decade he was (pretty much)...and I'm pretty sure that's what Spitfire's talking about.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #78
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior

Well I'm reassured by those incredibly vague words that mean nothing.

First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
TerranigmaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #79
redlotusfire
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Eastman has never been as emotionally attached to the Turtles as PL. That's why after Bodycount in 1996 he had nothing to do with the franchise till 2011's IDW comics.

That was an entire decade
Eastman's the one who wrote for heavy metal right? that pist me off when i read that on wiki, it felt wrong, not wrong like the info was bad, wrong like dirty.
redlotusfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #80
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlotusfire View Post
it felt wrong, not wrong like the info was bad, wrong like dirty.
What are you talking about?
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, cancelled media, live action films