The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

John Lasseter out at Disney

LOS ANGELES—Walt Disney Co.’s top creative animation executive, John Lasseter, is leaving the company at the end of this year, the company said, following accusations that the executive touched and hugged subordinates in unwelcome ways.

The company said Mr. Lasseter declined to comment.

Disney is likely to name two replacements for Mr. Lasseter, one as creative chief at Walt Disney Animation Studios and one at Pixar, a person close to the situation said. The leading candidates are “Frozen” co-director Jennifer Lee for Disney Animation and “Inside Out” director Pete Docter at Pixar, this person said.

Mr. Lasseter has been away from Disney Animation and Pixar Animation Studios since November, when he started what was billed as a six-month leave of absence. At the time, he sent a letter to colleagues apologizing to “anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture.”

One of the most visible creative executives in Hollywood, Mr. Lasseter is credited with building Disney Animation and Pixar into family-entertainment powerhouses.

He will work for Disney as a consultant through the end of this year before fully separating from the company, according to a company statement released Friday. For the remainder of this year, he isn’t expected to have an office at either Pixar or Disney Animation, according to the person close to the company.

Disney had considered bringing Mr. Lasseter back to the company in a creative capacity that stripped him of any managerial oversight, The Wall Street Journal previously reported.

Mr. Lasseter has been seen little if at all at Pixar or Disney Animation during the past several months, according to employees. Pixar’s next movie, “The Incredibles 2,” opens June 15.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pixar-c...496233?mod=mhp
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
following accusations that the executive touched and hugged subordinates in unwelcome ways.
Good, lock him up. Time to get all the scum out of the industry.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

But Cubed....John Lasseter is 61 years old, it is the norm for his generation to be like that. I think you're forgetting he grew up in the 60's and 70's when social norms were not what they are now.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
But Cubed....John Lasseter is 61 years old, it is the norm for his generation to be like that. I think you're forgetting he grew up in the 60's and 70's when social norms were not what they are now.
Thank God I didn’t live in such a medieval age where people can sexual assault and rape just about anyone then.

I’m still grasping with the fact that someone who seem so passionate and gentle like him could do such a thing. Watching his behind the scene interviews, his dreamy office full of toys... just can’t simply trust anyone.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I'm not able to read the whole article, but does the nature of the "uncomfortable touching" get specified other than "hugs." Is this a situation where Lasseter is simply one of those stereotypical "huggers" that just leads with an embrace without asking permission?

EDIT:
Oh, okay, some maybe there is a little something more to the story:
Quote:
The accusations against Mr. Lasseter did not rise to the level of those against powerful Hollywood figures like Harvey Weinstein, who has been accused of severe sexual misconduct going back decades, and Bill Cosby, who was found guilty in April of drugging and sexually assaulting a woman.
But Mr. Lasseter’s sabbatical revealed other areas of concern. Disney conducted what it called a “day of listening” in February as part of an effort to improve the culture at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation. Multiple staff members told managers that Mr. Lasseter had become increasingly domineering, according to two people who work at the company, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the process was private.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/b...es-disney.html

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Calm down man.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
If it was just hugs, they dont lock people up for that, dude.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
drgon78
Mad Scientist

If it was hugs I weep for our society.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:01 AM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
'cubed, your act doesn't fool anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I’m still grasping with the fact that someone who seem so passionate and gentle like him could do such a thing. Watching his behind the scene interviews, his dreamy office full of toys... just can’t simply trust anyone.
Or maybe people shouldn't dramatized everything for the sake of cheap sensationalizm and outraged cretins.

But, of course, you might stop to trust everyone. It's much easier and healthier way to cope with reality!!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I dunno I've seen some pretty nefarious hugs thanks to a predatory teacher back in grade school, long uncomfortable hugs, very intimate and grabby as well as "shoulder massages"

He didn't last long as a teacher at our school
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
LOS ANGELES—Walt Disney Co.’s top creative animation executive, John Lasseter, is leaving the company at the end of this year, the company said, following accusations that the executive touched and hugged subordinates in unwelcome ways.

The company said Mr. Lasseter declined to comment.

Disney is likely to name two replacements for Mr. Lasseter, one as creative chief at Walt Disney Animation Studios and one at Pixar, a person close to the situation said. The leading candidates are “Frozen” co-director Jennifer Lee for Disney Animation and “Inside Out” director Pete Docter at Pixar, this person said.

Mr. Lasseter has been away from Disney Animation and Pixar Animation Studios since November, when he started what was billed as a six-month leave of absence. At the time, he sent a letter to colleagues apologizing to “anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture.”

One of the most visible creative executives in Hollywood, Mr. Lasseter is credited with building Disney Animation and Pixar into family-entertainment powerhouses.

He will work for Disney as a consultant through the end of this year before fully separating from the company, according to a company statement released Friday. For the remainder of this year, he isn’t expected to have an office at either Pixar or Disney Animation, according to the person close to the company.

Disney had considered bringing Mr. Lasseter back to the company in a creative capacity that stripped him of any managerial oversight, The Wall Street Journal previously reported.

Mr. Lasseter has been seen little if at all at Pixar or Disney Animation during the past several months, according to employees. Pixar’s next movie, “The Incredibles 2,” opens June 15.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pixar-c...496233?mod=mhp
Good.

Now, if only they could get the Affleck brothers, Joss Whedon, Katy Perry, and whoever else out of the entertainment industry ...

Last edited by Papenbrook; 06-27-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I just find it troubling that there are adults out there who never learned the Keep Your Hands to Yourself lesson from kindergarten.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I just find it troubling that there are adults out there who never learned the Keep Your Hands to Yourself lesson from kindergarten.
I see it more as those *sshole High School "bros" who you thought were gone after you finished high school only to realize they live with us in our daily life.

I find the "always believe women" and similar movements to be incredibly flawed and can't get behind them but this is a huge problem and something has to be done about it. It's not SJW to realize that many ass hats who we all hated still exist to this day and abuse their power.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #14
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

It looks like Lasseter had some "help" from a friend.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
So maybe it's not about harassment only.
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I haven't seen a Snacky's Law in play in a long while!
Saying that SJW are socially inept morons, who can't figure out forest behind the trees, much less how to treat people, is not a of whatever-the-****-lefty-speak law.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I see it more as those *sshole High School "bros" who you thought were gone after you finished high school only to realize they live with us in our daily life.

I find the "always believe women" and similar movements to be incredibly flawed and can't get behind them but this is a huge problem and something has to be done about it. It's not SJW to realize that many ass hats who we all hated still exist to this day and abuse their power.
I haven't seen a Snacky's Law in play in a long while!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Good.

Now, if only they could get the Affleck brothers, Joss Whedon, Stan Lee, Katy Perry, and whoever else out of the entertainment industry ...
And you will end up without entertaining industry and then without humanity as a whole.

But I guess there is no need for unique and enlightened creature to have anyone around.

BASK IN THE GLORY OF YOUR OWN LIGHT, WHAT CAN BE COOLER?!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Good.

Now, if only they could get the Affleck brothers, Joss Whedon, Stan Lee, Katy Perry, and whoever else out of the entertainment industry ...
I am so glad SJW's/easily triggered folk like you don't run the world or we would be screwed

Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The world woud be a sad place then, where mere accusation would be enough to have someone jailed.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The world woud be a sad place then, where mere accusation would be enough to have someone jailed.
its already happening with parts of the me too movement guilty until proven innocent.

Tags
papenbrook triggered