The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #61
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I guess that ship may go down right alongside Sears (who I work for).
It's funny, I actually would have thought Toys 'R Us would have outlived Sears. They have not been doing well for years now. Half their stores are stuck in the barren tombs we used to call shopping malls, with barely any visible foot traffic, and the smaller outlets don't seem to fare much better.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #62
Katie
Just...way too serious.

The problem with Toys R us is they loaded themselves down with debt around 2008. Before that they were nearly debt free. I looked at their financials and they have not had much of a dip in sales. They’re pretty steady foe a retail store.

I thought maybe they could work it out with creditors, but they defaulted on that vendor payment, so I guess not.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #63
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
The problem with Toys R us is they loaded themselves down with debt around 2008. Before that they were nearly debt free. I looked at their financials and they have not had much of a dip in sales. They’re pretty steady foe a retail store.

I thought maybe they could work it out with creditors, but they defaulted on that vendor payment, so I guess not.
What did TRU do in 2008 to take on such debt?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #64
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7fbcfb6383e6

Toys R Us to close all 800 of its us stores
Old 03-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #65
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Goodbye old friend.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #66
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I'm an employee there and can confirm. Conference call happened an hour after I left today. Was told by a co-worker the plan is to try and save 100 stores and to liquidate everything in 60 days.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #67
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Also I thought that article said someone was interested in purchasing 400 of the stores and keeping the Toys R Us name. Did I read that wrong?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #68
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

As my friend on twitter put it. Toys R Us was always overpriced, Selection was terrible and you could go to Walmart Target or Amazon and get the same thing for half of what TRU wanted you to pay for
Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #69
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Also I thought that article said someone was interested in purchasing 400 of the stores and keeping the Toys R Us name. Did I read that wrong?
One goal is to keep 200 US stores with the Canadian ones under a Canadian buyer, the other is for one of the vendors to buy 400 of the stores and keep them around. Who knows if the latter will happen.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Any idea how long the existing stores will be kept open? My daughter got a $200 gift card for Toys 'R' Us on Christmas and we still haven't used it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #71
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What did TRU do in 2008 to take on such debt?
They were purchased by a private equity firm which immediately cashed out its investment by adding $5.8 million in debt to their balance sheet. That’s what killed them. Even with Amazon and other competiton, they wouldn’t have died without all that debt.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #72
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

“Toys R Us gift cards could be useless in a matter of weeks”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Any idea how long the existing stores will be kept open? My daughter got a $200 gift card for Toys 'R' Us on Christmas and we still haven't used it.
My GF is going to use our kids gift card tomorrow and pick him up something. Was also a Christmas gift. Not taking any chances.

“When Borders began liquidating its stores in July 2011, about 17.7 million gift cards were left outstanding.”

https://m.sfgate.com/technology/busi...c-12209562.php
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #73
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Don't think there's an ETA just yet, but making use of it soon would probably be in y'alls best interest to be safe.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #74
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
They were purchased by a private equity firm which immediately cashed out its investment by adding $5.8 million in debt to their balance sheet. That’s what killed them. Even with Amazon and other competiton, they wouldn’t have died without all that debt.
So a private equity firm which was already in debt bought Toys R' Us?

Its a shame. I still go to to Toys R' Us to look for TMNT figures or Christmas stuff. Granted its 3 to 4 times a year not monthly like I was as a kid in the 90s'. Many memories from playing in the Play School display to Pok'emon card tournaments!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #75
sdp
-

Simplified version of the story is TRUs went on sale and in order to acquire it, the buyer went into a lot of debt to get it. This was no problem when TRU was making enough money to pay the rather big sum of money it bought TRU for. The problem was a lot of their sales were from Baby stuff and when Amazon and others took that turf TRU just couldnt pay their loan anymore.

Toys sales were never horrible despite "kids not playing with toys", I mean they also sold video games, its just that toys alone couldnt pay the loan and the loan was gotten to acquire TRU.

Its definitely an end of an era I loved going to my TRU and would go every saturday when they had their Pokemon League for the TCG. I always preordered games there to get exclusive stuff and it always felt magical. I used to have a Im a TRU kid sweater as a child. They even gave special boxes with small gifts inside back in the days of video games behind paper prices.

Without KB Toys, there just wont be a magical place for kids to go to anymore.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #76
CyberCubed
Overlord

We millennials do a lot of our shopping online now. I can't remember the last time I went to a store to buy a videogame or a toy.

To be honest I wonder what this means for future TMNT cartoons. They just revealed the new Rise of TMNT figures...and now Toys R us is closing before they're even released. Now they only have what...Walmart and Target to release in?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #77
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Just makes me a little ill to think of my one and only local Toys R Us gone... Not sure how long it's been there, but I can't remember it not being there in that building. If some did get saved somehow, I wish it would be among them...

A lot of things are claimed to supposedly "ruin" childhood, but this... Yeah, this one is kinda real. Maybe there is Walmart, Target, etc. (or maybe no etc), but their selections are limited. Online... sure, but it hardly compares to a kid stepping foot in a store, choosing something on their own, and getting to take it home right then and there. The internet may have a wider selection, but the shopping is kinda hallow in comparison...

My total sympathy, The Deadman, if you stick with it until the end through liquidation, and to all employees that do. From experience... it's like Black Friday hell that lasts for months instead of one day. (And, at least for us, can't help but feeling a little sore that people are finally interested in shopping in a place now that jobs will be lost... But I've at least talked to quite a few kind customers that have wished us well.) Kind of makes me want to stop in mine once all that starts, at least to have a last look around, and offer my condolences from one closing store employee to others...

And Andrew, I'd use that gift card pronto. Supposedly the UK stores already stopped accepting them, so who knows how long it will go for the U.S. Even if it's usable throughout liquidation (though not guaranteed), imo I'd get in there before anything your daughter actually wants is gone.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-14-2018 at 07:37 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #78
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I remember their huge aisles of TMNT figures in the '80s and '90s at $3.69 a pop. They're really the last "big" one of my childhood toy stores left. Kaybee, Children's Palace, Kiddie City, Family Toy Warehouse are all long gone. Alas, all good things must come to an end.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #79
sdp
-

This will have a huge impact on the toy industry, maybe not so much this year but next year we'll see more of the outcome. It'll affect all companies, especially smaller ones like say NECA. Companies are already losing money on figures since TRU is asking them for a discount and they have to take the loss because the alternative is they get nothing from product already "sold" to TRU.

Remember when all lines became 3.75 after the financial crisis?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #80
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I got one of my cousins a $25 gift card for Christmas, and I still don't know if he has ever used it yet. If anything, there are places where you can just cash the gift card if it ever becomes too late to use it at a TRU store. I recommend raise.com.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote