The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Neat. I'd still rather see a real ending for the SatAM show, but I know that ship has looooooooooooong sailed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Neat. I'd still rather see a real ending for the SatAM show, but I know that ship has looooooooooooong sailed.
SatAM did have a real ending. I have the DVD set. Unless you mean the Snivley thing. I think they continued that in the comics though.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

There was originally going to be a whole third season before they cancelled it. Life isn't fair sometimes.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #24
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I don't think the exactly "resolved" the cliffhanger of SatAM, it has it's own continuity, even if they use characters and ideas from the cartoon.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #25
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I know there was suppose to be another season.

Ive missed years worth of comics because they stopped selling it here so I don't know exactly how the comic handled it but its what would of happened...basically anyway. I mean at least in general I assume..
Old 06-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Roland
is Laughing

In Sonic X-treme game there was a planned story-line which was named "SonicBOOM". Maybe the the new Sonic show may be based on it. Here is a link. Check the potential roles category .Sonic x-treme It may be based on it but it just a guess.

Last edited by Roland; 06-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
The thing I learned from that article was that there's a convention called Trotcon for MLP kids and I wept for those people.
Sounds more like a scatological convention.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #28
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
In Sonic X-treme game there was a planned story-line which was named "SonicBOOM". Maybe the the new Sonic show may be based on it. Here is a link. Check the potential roles category .Sonic x-treme It may be based on it but it just a guess.
I highly doubt this. The next game Sonic Lost World is more so Sonic X-treme, which fits, but using a cancelled storyline and character in a cartoon for todays audience would be kinda pointless.

Besides doesn't the news article say its focusing on the core group with Amy the only female?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Sally's a way more interesting character... ah well.

I know Sega likes to pretend SatAM and the comics don't exist. Which is weird, because the comics kept the character's popularity alive from 1995-1999 when there were exactly ZERO new Sonic games. Classic case of, "They only need you when they need you." People can say whatever, without the comics and SatAm Sonic would have faded out completely before Sonic Adventure was even thought of.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #30
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Neat... I'll keep it on my radar. I think back fondly to when I was a kid and both Adventures of Sonic and Sonic the Hedgehog were both airing on different channels... I could always get my sonic fix. The upcoming sonic game on Wii U & 3DS looks good, hope the series can be a compliment to it
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #31
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@ Leo656, Sonic 3D Blast came out in '96. Not the greatest game but still. Also this is only a 2 year gap from Sonic Adventure...which makes sense as we don't get a new game in a series every year and they had to have been working on SA and the Dreamcast during this time.

Plus the SatAM cartoon ended in '94. I don't see how this helped Sonic from fading away until the Dreamcast.

Last edited by Wildcat; 06-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

Good call, Blast did come out, but it was never very popular nor very good. The comics were important by using parts of the SatAm cartoon mixed with game lore to keep things afloat.

I've never felt the comics got their proper due for keeping the franchise afloat through the 1990s. For the longest time, it's all any Sonic fans had to look forward to. And it actually drew in tons of fans on its own who never played the games, which is no small feat in itself.

I might be stretching it, but I'd seriously argue that without the comics, the games may well have stopped years and years ago and Sonic would be just another footnote in gaming history. Think about it, how many other "dudes with 'tude" from early-90s video games stuck around and maintained relevance? It doesn't matter how good their first one or two games were. What's Bubsy up to? Anybody heard much from Gex these days? How's Earthworm Jim doing? Even Crash Bandicoot means jack-sh*t these days. Sonic was always popular, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that his books still sold even when there were no new (or good) games coming out. The books and cartoons created awareness of the character which led to expectancy and desire for more games. Take away the comics (without which, the cartoons may not have come out at all), and Sonic Blast may well have been the LAST Sonic game ever.

Nobody can say for sure, obviously, but as a fan who was there from Day One I have a pretty strong memory for how important the comics were to us when there was no promise there would ever even BE another game, back in the mid-90s. Did the books single-handedly "save" the franchise? I doubt it. BUT, would Sonic be as popular today without the comics/cartoons? No, and I'd say it's 50/50 Sonic would even still be around at all.

Last edited by Leo656; 06-23-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #33
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I totally agree the comic universe is under used when it comes to the games.

I would love a comic-style story with Sally Acorn in a game.

Sonic Spinball gave her and I think some other character (have not played it for awhile) a cameo and as far as tone and graphics its the only game that seems like SatAM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

I loved the video I saw of that fan-hack of the first Sonic game where you can play as Sally. There are so many ways she could be worked into the games believably, it always frustrated me when Sega would cram in brand new side-characters that nobody asked for when the cartoons and comics had already established a perfectly good supporting cast.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #35
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Impressive to think that the comics are still going after all this time... it is very rare for a licensed book, or ANY book really. Wonder where they will be taking Mega Man. If they won't make new games, at least the comics are out there.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #36
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@ Leo 656...Ive seen the Sally hack.

Anyway I think thats a pretty big exaggeration, that Sonic wouldn't be around without the comic or cartoon. It helped the popularity for those who didnt play games.

Sonic was a game character first. Its true alot of other characters didnt do as well but Sonic was/is Sega's mascot and direct rival (at the time anyway) to Mario.

Plus alot of those 3rd party characters were created because of Mario and Sonic. Also platformers were big back then...like shooters are today.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno man, I just look at the big picture. I look at lots of game franchises that had droughts, went stagnant, some never to return, all from the same era, a lot of them had games just as well-received as Sonic's, but when they all went into hibernation at the same time, only Sonic really survived and thrived. All things being equal, I really do have to look at the comics and cartoons as the way the franchise stayed alive and was allowed to revive itself as a game later on. If the comics and cartoons were sh*tty, obviously that wouldn't have been the case. But the comics and various shows actually have a wide fanbase including many people who don't care about the games at all. So again, even as an admitted huge fan of those representations of Sonic, an objective observer would almost have to admit the comics and cartoons weren't just "there", they actively helped the franchise survive the long stretches of inactivity and/or irrelevance. Sometimes there were no games... sometimes, the games weren't very good... but from 1993 to the present, Sonic always existed in mass-media in some form, non-stop, thanks to those comics and cartoons. Even TMNT can't say that.

Again, I'm admittedly a big fan of those versions, but I'm also calling this one objectively as I see it. And I honestly think there's a strong chance Sonic would have died off in the mid/late 1990s without the comics and cartoons. I've seen little to say otherwise; it's not like those late-90s games until Adventure were doing much to make the character appealing, after all. The fans needed to turn elsewhere for their Sonic fix when the games either weren't there or weren't satisfying.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #38
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I agree the comic and cartoons helped him become more popular, especially with non-gamers but saying its 50% of his relevance is a bit much imo.

Other franchises that didn't start as...had cartoons. Like Mario.

Even so Sega wouldn't have let him die. They needed him. Plus like I said the time gap wasn't that big. The Dreamcast was in development. Every big franchise has gaps between their games. They need it. Cant churn them out every year.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

50% would probably be over-stating it.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #40
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well you said before 50/50 that he would be around so I thought you were giving 50% of his relevance to the comic/toons.

Anyway Im not trying to argue. As I said before I love Sonic and I collec(ed) the comic until they stopped selling it here. I do plan to get back into it. Ive missed so much.

I guess a better way to put is, I think he would have remained a popular GAME character even without the comic and cartoons....but of course with them he became more than that.

Tags
sega, sonic