The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #481
Allio
Foot Elite

To anyone that knows the digimon card game, you’ll love this. They announced new cards (Arukenimon and Mummymon) that has effects that allows the player to summon Malomyotismon for a cost of 2(who would normally cost you 13) and then they would destroy themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Is there any information about an English dub of the current Digimon Adventure or what network or platform it would air on?
Not yet
Old 10-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #482
Allio
Foot Elite

Finally got around to watching Kizuna. Overall I thought the movie itself was fine, a much better execution to Maki’s story. And while I like the idea behind the bittersweet ending, I feel like it gets the filmed soured thanks to what we know of the Digimon Adventure 02 epilogue.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #483
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I originally planned on seeing Digimon Adventure Last Kitzuna in its theatre event on March 30th. Then the pandemic hit and nixed it. Then it was delayed from its original August DVD release until last week and I finally got to watch it this afternoon months later.

Still taking it in at the moment, but I am so glad the focus was on my favorite characters Tai and Matt. It was also nice with symbolism and themes. I guess Omnimon is superior to Imperaldramon Fighter Mode after all! Surprised at how little Sora was involved as it regulated the four others to a side mission. It looked like the two pairs of siblings are active with Izzy running point form afar while the others found career investments. Of course Izzy had too and was able to pull off both.

Is the 2nd season epilogue inevitable? There were hints that it was, but it also had indications it wouldnot end exactly the same as below:
Old 10-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #484
Allio
Foot Elite

I mean at this point there is nothing that makes it non-canon.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #485
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I mean at this point there is nothing that makes it non-canon.
Some of the career paths are enforced while others not so much. Sora for example is a florist like her mother before her instead of a fashion designer and Mimi is an online entrepreneur instead of a celebrity chef. While those seem to be in place T.K. as an author is reinforced as is Davis's stupid noodle chart franchise. So some creditability is suggested while others take away from it. The epilogue also seems overall unpopular with fans so I assumed it was not destined to be cannon.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #486
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Some of the career paths are enforced while others not so much. Sora for example is a florist like her mother before her instead of a fashion designer and Mimi is an online entrepreneur instead of a celebrity chef. While those seem to be in place T.K. as an author is reinforced as is Davis's stupid noodle chart franchise. So some creditability is suggested while others take away from it. The epilogue also seems overall unpopular with fans so I assumed it was not destined to be cannon.
Sora became a designer of traditional style clothing. Her mother influenced her. Her mother is a traditional flower arranger. Sora will probably eventually switch over to traditional clothing design later on.

As for Mimi, I do wonder about that. Her character became a food analyst/researcher with a cooking show. This was hinted at in Adventure and Tri with the whole food thing. She can still switch over at some point or maybe she starts selling recipes online in her shop sometime down the line.

Takeru's writing hobby started after the events of 02. His mother recommended it to him when he was trying to get his thoughts together on all that had happened...so it seemed like he was journaling mostly.

In all honesty, I liked the occupations because people change as they grow older and for some, it doesn't take much for something to just influence you. I liked the fact that Daisuke was so inspired that he wanted to become a ramen chef. It seems people ignored the fact that Daisuke's character is very friendly and he likes to try his best to make those around him happy. That was the feeling he experienced when eating the soup. The feeling it created for him, he wanted to share that with others. Unless the dub changed this, I thought it was sweet that he wanted to recreate that for others because it exhibits why his character was perfect for the Digimental of Friendship.

I like how because of her mother's influence, she still adopts a style that's traditionally Japanese, only in the realm of clothing (or kimonos). I'm glad that the shy, quiet Yamato became interested in space exploration and that Jou is continuing his family's super long (and I do mean long) tradition of becoming a doctor and working in his father's hospital and how he chose that path and it was no longer about his father's influence thanks to both Shin and Shuu as well as his Digital World adventure.

In all honesty, I just don't get why people disliked the occupations the kids ended up with. I found it realistic since, as we grow older, our styles and tastes change.

The only character I did find surprising for their occupation/job choice, aside from Yamato (in my mind, I could picture him ditching being a front man for a band and working in the background as a lyricist or composer), was Miyako. I have nothing against her being a housewife, but did find it surprising how she didn't get into a career working on or with computers. She was good with software and hardware, unless she did have a job outside of the home and then decided to settle down once starting a family.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #487
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Overall I am neutral on it. I just prefer it to be a possible future instead of set in stone. Not a fan of the Davis character, he just came across as impulsive, dimwitted, and energetic. He is not layered like the others. I remember at one point thinking he and T.K. were going to fight over Karai like Tai and Matt might with Sora, but neither came to be. As far as occupations go, I wondered if in the intervening time they would be updated like how during its initial run the most advanced thing was online stores like Amazon and Ebay and now with the digital age flourishing if it would change where they go. It appears to be what happened with Mimi.

Sora and Joe seemed like their careers were picked for them and they conformed to follow it. While I am thinking about it, was Sora's father ever mentioned at all? I guess we can assume that her parents divorced?

Needed time to digest Last Evolution. It mentioned that the Digivolutions were forced. How were they forced to evolve? Sure Agumon and Gabumon used more energy and were naturally stronger even after the others caught up to them in evolving. That line threw me because if they Diviolve to go into battle its willingly taking action on the Digimon's part its not like the incident that caused Agumon to Digivolve into Skullgreymon.

Also, it seemed a little too plot convenient that Menoa decided she grew up so her Digimon partner faded away. Did she really grow up if from that moment on was restoring her partner? Also, that she appear to approach the DigiDestined immediately before the countdown begun for them. It was also odd that Agumon and Gabumon would be the first to go because Tai and Matt were the two that did not have a direction in life while all of the others did so it would seem they would be the last ones to do so. I know there is the counter of they are the two actively defending Tokyo and beyond while the others are more invested in other things so Agumon and Gabumon use up a lot more energy than the others.

Overall I enjoyed the focus on my two favorite characters and the theme that ran through it even with the holes mentioned above. Solid B, engaging and emotional!

Btw, should we put the countdown clock on Leomon in Digimon 2020? It would be different if he survives.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #488
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Overall I am neutral on it. I just prefer it to be a possible future instead of set in stone. Not a fan of the Davis character, he just came across as impulsive, dimwitted, and energetic. He is not layered like the others. I remember at one point thinking he and T.K. were going to fight over Karai like Tai and Matt might with Sora, but neither came to be.
I probably already made my opinion known on the dub portrayal of the characters and how, for me, "Davis" and Daisuke are two completely different characters. Daisuke had a normal crush on Hikari, where as Takeru didn't really seem to...not during 02 anyway. The fact that you viewed Daisuke (or Davis) in the way you did shows you missed the whole part about his open and friendly nature, hence why the others got along with him. Yes, he was an energetic type, but then again, so was Taichi. With the exception of boys not into athletics, what boy isn't in these types of shows? lol

Yamato and Taichi didn't fight over Sora because, well, why would they have? In Adventure 02, we found out that Taichi did like Sora, but knew that he couldn't force that either. Sora didn't know that Taichi liked her and neither did Yamato. It would've been strange if they fought over her when there was no real triangle to begin with.
Quote:
As far as occupations go, I wondered if in the intervening time they would be updated like how during its initial run the most advanced thing was online stores like Amazon and Ebay and now with the digital age flourishing if it would change where they go. It appears to be what happened with Mimi.
It's a possibility. I know that Kizuna takes place in 2010, if I'm not mistaken, so it's in its infancy, pretty much, but there's still time for her to put her culinary hobby back to the test. As mentioned, her affinity for foods was established back in Adventure. She likes strangely combined food concoctions...which can be blamed on her mother. She was the influence.
Quote:
Sora and Joe seemed like their careers were picked for them and they conformed to follow it.
In the case of Sora, I still like the irony that she became so traditional. Seems that the bonding and growing closer to her mother influenced her. Even her playing tennis was due to Sora bonding with her mother and realizing that she enjoyed it, which was why she stopped playing soccer (still wish she'd stuck with tennis or something for Tri). Her mother was former player of it. I wouldn't say that the career was chosen for her...but she does seem to be in ikebana and stuff because of her mother. We know that's going to change, though...so something is going to cause that which has her going on her own path, with her mother's inspiration.
Quote:
While I am thinking about it, was Sora's father ever mentioned at all? I guess we can assume that her parents divorced?
I doubt it. It's Japan. Sora's father is a university professor at Toudai (Tokyo Daigaku) and he does a lot of travel and research for the books he writes. As a matter of fact, I think he was doing research while in Kyoto when the other kids ran into him and Shuu in Adventure 02. I know this has been mentioned, but who knows where he would be future wise...maybe still publishing his books.

It's typical in Japan for husbands/men to have jobs that may involve travel. I know when living there I saw this a lot. I worked with business men too, who may say they're transferred over from another city and living there while their families are in other parts of the country. A friend of mine, whose husband I'd only met maybe twice out of the nearly 8 years I lived there, had that situation. For his work, he lived a few towns over because of his job. They may see him a few times a year. I remember one year I spent my Christmas there and he wasn't there...but yeah, it's the norm in some cases.

Also, some extra information for you...the Takenouchi name is the mother's name, not Sora's father's. So he took his wife's name and not the other way around. It's the case for some couples there, but my assumption is that since Sora's mom ran a business and school (I think she had a famous flower arrangement school), she wanted to keep her name. They can only have one family registry anyway per household.

As for Jou, it started off that way...his wanting to get into the medical field because of his father pretty much demanding it or expecting them to, but as we saw Jou decided this on his own. Speaking with Shin (who went against their father's wishes to act as a doctor without borders) and Shuu (who switched his major from medical to humanities...too bad we don't know how his father reacted to it, we just have an idea how he would have based on what Jou was saying when telling Shin), influenced Jou some. He wasn't sure he wanted to be a doctor until his Digital World adventure and Shin did tell him that he should become a doctor because he wants to, not because their dad wants him to. So in this regard, it really wasn't his father that had Jou decide on becoming a doctor, it was his adventure that did it along with his brothers making decisions for themselves and his admiring that.

As for the other things you brought up...can't fully comment. I still haven't been able to get through Kizuna and all that in its entirety.

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-19-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #489
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I suppose the DigiDestined pairings are a part of the lost in translation as its dubbed. The idea of Tai liking Sora but then Matt moves in. Unlike fandom I never saw Izzy interested in Mimi, I thought Joe might have been. T.K. and Kari may have been close friends of the opposite sex, but there was that moment in Tri that Patamon acted like he did not se a touching moment between them. There was also Davis assuming they had something when he was crushing on Kari. I also can see the dubbing altering Davis's character for the worse. The reason I did not like Davis is he was taking away from the two characters I love Tai and Matt. That is why I liked about Last Evolution Kitzuna, focusing on the two of them.

I am wondering though about Tri, so Daigo succumbs to injures in saving Tai, but Maki is last seen in the Digital World failing to reconnect with Tapirmon and nothing more is said about her. It was interesting getting further background of the threat before Tai's group and the dark ocean as well. However, it was just a tease and the DigiDestined never got as much as the aduiance did. It felt like Tri had a hasty wrap up in regards to King Drasil as soon as Meiccomon is finally killed. I was surprised Last Kitzuna did not address it at all. Last Evolution Kitzuna had true emotion and character growth, while Tri's was so much woe is me than dragged on with T.K., and especially Meiko.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #490
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I suppose the DigiDestined pairings are a part of the lost in translation as its dubbed. The idea of Tai liking Sora but then Matt moves in.
Not sure about a loss in translation thing, but in the original, neither Sora nor Yamato knew of Taichi's feelings for Sora. That episode implied that Taichi had a thing for Sora and Agumon's going on about how much Taichi had matured solidified that, because he encouraged Sora to give Yamato her gift.
Quote:
Unlike fandom I never saw Izzy interested in Mimi, I thought Joe might have been.
With Jou, I never got that, personally. I like the idea of Jou x Mimi, but never saw anything in the show itself to hint at it since Jou, for the most part, acted like an older sibling to pretty much all of them and those like Sora, Mimi, and Hikari treated him in the same way, getting down to it. He was their senpai and they treated him like their senpai.

As for Koushirou x Mimi, I think that episode of Adventure where they were paired together fueled the Japanese fandom for that and a few other things. To date, out of the Adventure/Adventure 02 group of characters, they're the only ones who have had swapped partners. Tentomon was trying to get Mimi to understand Koushirou while Palmon was trying to get Koushirou to understand Mimi's feelings. I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the other characters have ever had that happen. It almost felt like they were trying to set them up for the future. Oh yeah, and they're still the only two to have a CD drama focused around the pairing because of fan requests to my knowledge for Adventure characters. The Japanese audience was seeing something. lol They also added in the notion of Koushirou x Hikari....and I kinda like this pair...one-sided. lol I like Hikari having a crush on Koushirou. *I liked so many pairings* lol
Quote:
T.K. and Kari may have been close friends of the opposite sex, but there was that moment in Tri that Patamon acted like he did not se a touching moment between them.
Hm, don't remember that.
Quote:
There was also Davis assuming they had something when he was crushing on Kari. I also can see the dubbing altering Davis's character for the worse.
Yeah, I hated that. Daisuke never acted that way. He never went around acting as if Hikari was his girlfriend or that he had dibs on her or any of that stuff. He had a normal boyhood crush on her and that was that. He was even shy about it at times and seems it was more fantasy than anything else. He was a little bothered by Takeru at first because of his friendship with Hikari (he did just kinda show up, you know, lol, and the way Takeru addressed her so casually was suspect, "Hikari-chan"), but that didn't last long as the two became good friends. It was even implied through Natsuko and Daisuke's father that Takeru hung over at the Motomiya place a lot to hang with Daisuke.
Quote:
The reason I did not like Davis is he was taking away from the two characters I love Tai and Matt. That is why I liked about Last Evolution Kitzuna, focusing on the two of them.
You're entitled to that opinion and not going to knock you for the dislike, which is no problem, but I do feel that it's an unfair reason since 02 was a pass the torch type story and set up in general. Daisuke, Miyako, and Iori were the stand-ins for Taichi/Yamato, Sora/Mimi, Jou/Koushirou. Takeru, Hikari, and Ken (kind of) was the Adventure connection.
Quote:
I am wondering though about Tri, so Daigo succumbs to injures in saving Tai, but Maki is last seen in the Digital World failing to reconnect with Tapirmon and nothing more is said about her. It was interesting getting further background of the threat before Tai's group and the dark ocean as well. However, it was just a tease and the DigiDestined never got as much as the aduiance did. It felt like Tri had a hasty wrap up in regards to King Drasil as soon as Meiccomon is finally killed. I was surprised Last Kitzuna did not address it at all. Last Evolution Kitzuna had true emotion and character growth, while Tri's was so much woe is me than dragged on with T.K., and especially Meiko.
You know, in all honesty, I didn't mind the emotional junk that Takeru was going through for Tri when worried about Patamon's being infected and talking with Meiko about it. That's about the only time where I didn't mind Meiko in some way. Seems emotional Takeru or Takeru going through something angsty or sad has always appealed to me since his character is pretty much the embodiment of hope. It just makes me like his character a lot more for some reason...but I think it's because I always viewed him as wearing a mask and keeping up the façade for the sake of those around him as people are used of him being happy-go-lucky, carefree, and optimistic. I guess those moments just humanizes him to me.

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-30-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #491
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I rewatched Tri ahead of Last Evolution Kitzuna. The last segment Future while Karai was being tended to by T.K. after Gatomon was absorbed by the megaform of Meiccomon. Patamon blushes and covers his eyes saying to pretend he is in another room as T.K. steps Karai out of her depression.

Yeah, I may prefer to ignore Davis since he seems to replace the characters I love so it's wrong to disregard him for that. I can also understand his hyperactive jerk who is not the brightest bulb persona being a side effect of lost is translation as you say he is depicted differently in the Japanese.

Is Maki left stranded in the Digital World rebuffed by Tapirmon? Daigo clearly had feelings for her, but she was obsessed with reviving Tapirmon she was blind to it. I guess Tai did not know how to express his feelings and Sora never caught on like she should and when he was ready she was taken so he maturely moved on as a silent character development for him.

In the series I always felt Devimon got the shaft, never truly returning and never beyond his Champion form. It looks like he gets more story and an ultimate form in the 2020 version seeing him still around a third of the way through.
https://www.cbr.com/digimon-adventur...m-preview/amp/
Old 07-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #492
Allio
Foot Elite

So this was apparently leaked we are getting a new digimon movie called “02” and a new series called Ghost Game

Old 07-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #493
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So is 02 the quartet or is it Tai, Matt, and gang? I follow TheDigiKnow YouTube channel and it was mentioned of an 02vtease, but nothing was known as of a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #494
Allio
Foot Elite

The character design does give off a Daisuke design, but that’s about it. The design also looks like Zhiguangfrom Digimon D-Cyber, but I’m sure that’s definitely not him.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #495
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
The character design does give off a Daisuke design, but that’s about it. The design also looks like Zhiguangfrom Digimon D-Cyber, but I’m sure that’s definitely not him.
Daisuke as in Davis? I thought Last Evolution did right by having them as a collective support for my preferred lead characters.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:54 PM   #496
Allio
Foot Elite

Yes. Daisuke is Davis. Last evolution was that film I found was okay, it definitely hurt with it’s bittersweet ending that seems to mean nothing when we know the future.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #497
Allio
Foot Elite

Both the movie and the show are both confirmed. And a teaser trailer is out for the 02 movie being a sequel to Adventure 02 (don’t know if it takes place before or after Last Evolution) as Daisuke talks about while he and V-mon were making Rameb they meet a little kid that claims he is the first human to partner with a Digimon (gonna guess it’s the kid on the poster.)

The writer and director of Last Evolution are back.

Also happy Odaiba Memorial Day.

And the new Digivices are confirmed for Ghostgame being the new vita-bracelets they have been selling this year

Edit: some good news. Digimon is selling really well and is apparently in Toei’s top 5 (I don’t have the other numbers, but I’ll assume the other four are: Dragon Ball, One Piece, Kamen Rider, Precure.)

Last edited by Allio; 08-02-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Allio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #498
ZariusTwo
Overlord

In the meantime, a new Digitmon Tamers era stage play kicked off a whole lot of controversy across subbing channels and western media for actually speaking out against cancel culture

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...-a-cancel-cul/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:04 AM   #499
Allio
Foot Elite

That was hysterical.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #500
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
In the meantime, a new Digitmon Tamers era stage play kicked off a whole lot of controversy across subbing channels and western media for actually speaking out against cancel culture

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...-a-cancel-cul/
I personally hate the idea of it. I personally watch shows to escape reality, not have to relive it in a made up fantasy series.

Tags
digimon