The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #461
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Feudal Japan backstory was the whole point and why it was good. The car chase on the highway with Shredder fighting Splinter again (and I believe that was only the second Shredder fight in the series after #11-13 at the time), was also a highlight.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #462
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Given your POV, I can see why SHotFC isn't a favorite of yours.

But I definitely love it. Freaking love it.

I'd say my favorite arcs have been anything where mutants (Old Hob, Slash, or the Psychopathic Wrecking Duo of Bebop and Rocksteady) have prominently featured.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #463
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Given your POV, I can see why SHotFC isn't a favorite of yours.

But I definitely love it. Freaking love it.

I'd say my favorite arcs have been anything where mutants (Old Hob, Slash, or the Psychopathic Wrecking Duo of Bebop and Rocksteady) have prominently featured.
You are right I am not one for that kind of thing which makes me only care for the one fight sequence real time vs the Foot Clan and that is it. You got to give IDW credit. Something Andrew and I can both love that is a TMNT comic? Its a testament to IDW in how just how good it is!

15-16 Slash
17-19 Krang War
41-44 Attack On The Technodrome

I hope to put Batman/TMNT on the top of that list. If Dick Grayson or Riddler appear...

It was a slow start as I am not a fan of the first five issue or #13-14. Not my thing, but everything else has excelled my expectations. Granted April & Casey is soso I like it because of The Rat King!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:47 AM   #464
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I loved the Mutanimals mini actually, and it was nice to see those characters get some more screentime. I don't think TMNT-less mini's are the reason they aren't selling, because there's still important story elements in them that affect the main story.
I disagree. The fact they don't feature the Turtles is absolutely the reason they're not doing as well.

Yes, they might feature story elements that play into the main book, but that's not going to be enough to entice casual collectors or fans to play.

You know, a book titled "CASEY AND APRIL" will never do as well as a mini-series called, I don't know, "Ninja Turtles: DARK EVIL FALLING" or something that sounds like a contained, exciting adventure people can test the water with.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #465
Powder
So tired of this place

Maybe so, but it's not as if core fans are thrilled with the stuff, either. A non-turtle turtle book can be good, but this latest one is a miss.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #466
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Maybe so, but it's not as if core fans are thrilled with the stuff, either. A non-turtle turtle book can be good, but this latest one is a miss.
There are plenty of non turtle concepts I would read and enjoy from IDW's run. Casey & April is not one of them.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #467
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
There are plenty of non turtle concepts I would read and enjoy from IDW's run. Casey & April is not one of them.
The problem is Casey & April could have been done in a much more appealing fashion. But this slow-burn teen drama thing is just... ugh. We've gotten, what, 2 pages of Rat King talking to himself? One page an issue?

I get that IDW is trying to reach a different audience (Bobby has said this himself at least twice), and I get that comics read better in trade... but this mini-series is not at all going well to my mind.

Still buying the trade, though.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #468
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
I disagree. The fact they don't feature the Turtles is absolutely the reason they're not doing as well.

Yes, they might feature story elements that play into the main book, but that's not going to be enough to entice casual collectors or fans to play.
Then why did the micros of the heroes and villains sell well? They made micros for April, Casey, Fugitoid...and then 8 more micros about the villains. As far as I can remember none of those featured the Turtles in them beyond maybe a few panels.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #469
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The problem is Casey & April could have been done in a much more appealing fashion. But this slow-burn teen drama thing is just... ugh. We've gotten, what, 2 pages of Rat King talking to himself? One page an issue?

I get that IDW is trying to reach a different audience (Bobby has said this himself at least twice), and I get that comics read better in trade... but this mini-series is not at all going well to my mind.

Still buying the trade, though.
Totally agree with you on quality of the book despite whoever the audience is supposed to be. Even if they want to use that as an excuse for how the book is being handled I don't understand why they would want to alienate their installed base of readers like this book has been verging on.

Sadly I want a complete run of IDW TMNT singles so I buy them bag them, read once and then they are staying on the shelf.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #470
ToTheNines
[sic]

August sales:
117. TMNT #49 - 19,627
176. Amazing Adventures #1 - 10,614
198. TMNT Casey & April #3 - 9,085

So sales dipped a tad, but the ongoing is IDW's best selling book after Star Trek/GL, and that's always good.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #471
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wow the new #1 for the Nick comic really boosted sales. Went from barely hovering around 5,000 to up to 10,000. Makes me wonder if it'll continue to do well with this new continuing stories.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #472
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Wow the new #1 for the Nick comic really boosted sales. Went from barely hovering around 5,000 to up to 10,000. Makes me wonder if it'll continue to do well with this new continuing stories.
NAA did 14,000 for #1, then 10,000 for #2 and then 8,500 for #3 and pretty much just down from there. So we'll see.

I feel like the ongoing story line format should help keep readers on board though.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #473
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
August sales:
117. TMNT #49 - 19,627
176. Amazing Adventures #1 - 10,614
198. TMNT Casey & April #3 - 9,085

So sales dipped a tad, but the ongoing is IDW's best selling book after Star Trek/GL, and that's always good.
My Little Pony is about 5000 copies ahead of TMNT at #105 for the month. But yeah, TMNT's still consistently IDW's second best-selling ongoing series.

As to NAA... All the people who jump on #1s of series they have no intention of following kinda make me giggle, but hey, whatever floats their boats. We'll see how sales are in a couple months once the collectors drop off.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #474
ToTheNines
[sic]

Nah bro, MLP came in at 127 this month. About 2,000 behind Turtles.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #475
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Weird, yeah, now that I look at a different site.

...Is TMNT really out-selling Squirrel Girl? Goddamn.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #476
ToTheNines
[sic]

It is weird that MLP would drop by 5,000 copies though. I wonder if that's an error.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #477
AquaParade
Banned

I wonder what goes through IDW's head when they see the sales boost the new #1 of the cartoon based comic.

Surprised to see them continuing on to issue #51 as opposed to restarting the main comic at #1. I have to give them props for this move if they indeed feel that it is appropriate for their story. It would be hard to blame them for starting fresh at this opportune moment.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #478
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I wonder what goes through IDW's head when they see the sales boost the new #1 of the cartoon based comic.

Surprised to see them continuing on to issue #51 as opposed to restarting the main comic at #1. I have to give them props for this move if they indeed feel that it is appropriate for their story. It would be hard to blame them for starting fresh at this opportune moment.
I would blame them very easily if they decided to start over again after #50. How many different versions of TMNT have their been so far? Each time we have to go through the checklists of firsts and repeat the same stories over and over and so on and so forth it's difficult to reach a point in the series that isn't retelling the first encounter with so and so for the millionth time.

If they just split it into a new volume #1 but kept the story and universe intact I would be okay with it even though it's purely a marketing thing. But if they did a total reboot, I'd be so pissed. I love IDW TMNT and all I want is for this universe to continue.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #479
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
I would blame them very easily if they decided to start over again after #50. How many different versions of TMNT have their been so far? Each time we have to go through the checklists of firsts and repeat the same stories over and over and so on and so forth it's difficult to reach a point in the series that isn't retelling the first encounter with so and so for the millionth time.

If they just split it into a new volume #1 but kept the story and universe intact I would be okay with it even though it's purely a marketing thing. But if they did a total reboot, I'd be so pissed. I love IDW TMNT and all I want is for this universe to continue.
You do realize that an IDW #1 wouldn't have been a reboot, but just a new #1 to boost sales right? IDW has no intention of ending their own continuity they spent 4 years building up, they were just debating going with either #51 or #1 for a possible sales boost.

Besides the Nick comic isn't really a reboot either as it continues from what comes before it even if it goes into its own thing now with new characters. The fact that Karai is still a snake in Nick Amazing Adventures #1 proves its continuing on from the previous Nick comic and cartoon...although its going in its unique direction going forward.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #480
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Weird, yeah, now that I look at a different site.

...Is TMNT really out-selling Squirrel Girl? Goddamn.
A lot of readers didnt even give SG a chance, even though its absolutely hilarious. XD

Good to seen strong numbers though. Even April&Casey is doing better than I expected (which I'm haply for because I like it ).
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion