The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

View Poll Results: Does this bother you?
Yes 11 64.71%
No 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Are DC and Marvel comics trying to be too much like the movies?

Oh look, the new Guardians of the Galaxy comic from Marvel. Wow, what a coincidence! That is exactly the same lineup as what's in the latest film, complete with Baby Groot! Who would have thought that two completely different mediums, with entirely different teams would arrive at exactly the same thing without any editorial influence! It's mind-boggling.

Whoa... Old Man Logan on the X-Men team, even though he's from another dimension? Just in time for the (Old Man) Logan movie? What are the odds!

Great minds must think alike -- that is the EXACT lineup of the Suicide Squad movie! Characters that have either never been on the same team or have not for years! Wacky coincidence!

You know what I mean?

This is one of the biggest reasons why it's difficult for me to get back into mainstream comics. Ever since Iron Man, comics on both sides of the DC and Marvel spectrum pretty blatantly reconfigure themselves to "match" what's going on in the movies, and on the fly.

It should be the other way around, the comics "leading" the movies! Otherwise if this trend continues, what will the comic book movies 10, 20 years from now look like? The comics that were forcibly made to look like the movies, movies that were adapting older comics? Talk about the snake eating its own tail.

Fairly creatively bankrupt and dead wrong. I have to imagine whole original plots and characters are being forcibly jettisoned by editorial because of the "Make it all match the movies!" agenda. I just feel like if I started getting wrapped up in Batman comics again, or Green Lantern comics, if a new Green Lantern movie came out, all of that stuff could and would probably just be swept away because... movie.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-06-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

For Marvel's comics not really but as for their animated series, yeah you can tell the writers really want to remind people of the Marvel movies.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
you can tell the writers really want to remind people of the Marvel movies.
Do you think the writers themselves are the ones who really want to do that?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
sdp
-

As you mentioned it's nothing new and has been going on for over a decade now. And only a small percentage of the normies who see the movies will even try to buy a comic because of that.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As you mentioned it's nothing new and has been going on for over a decade now. And only a small percentage of the normies who see the movies will even try to buy a comic because of that.
Exactly. Comic sales only decrease in time. The only stuff that sells well consistently is Batman, events, Star Wars, and Spider-Man.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

This has been going on for awhile, and yeah: they're trying too hard.
It's kinda pathetic that they make these big changes just to try to appeal to the movie audiences, but since their regular comics without the changes are lame, I guess they don't have many other choices.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

It's a little sad when the worst aspects of some of the more dumbed down films find their way into the source material.

The first time I recall noticing this was the change to Batman's suit in the '90s (all black) after the success of the Burton movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
mrmaczaps
Banned

For me, it feels like the movie writers think movie-goers are dumb and don't read comics... so your comic fans go see the movies and complain about it not being the comics and comics writers then decide that means readers want to see the movie characters in the comics.

Most people I know that like comics but don't read them go see the movies and fully enjoy the films despite how bad they are (looking at you DCEU) or how much they change things from the comics.

Some small changes are okay but then theres Man of Steel/Krypton like changes or the lack of secret identities... Or Iron Man 3.... lol.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Well, its definitely not the first issue that comes to mind when I think of the current state of mainstream comics but it is becoming one I guess.

As long as the changes that are being made are in service of making things less dumb, be it changes from the comics in the movies or changes in the comics from the movies, I'm all for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
It's a little sad when the worst aspects of some of the more dumbed down films find their way into the source material.

The first time I recall noticing this was the change to Batman's suit in the '90s (all black) after the success of the Burton movies.
I mean, if your goal was to slink around in the night in dark alleyways to fight crime and remain unseen, what color would you choose to dress in? Black, or really really light gray??
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

For Marvel, yes. But DC is in a much better state than the DCEU is at the moment.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The movies are making money, so of course they wanna emulate them. I mean, a non-Chris Pratt Star Lord? get outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I mean, if your goal was to slink around in the night in dark alleyways to fight crime and remain unseen, what color would you choose to dress in? Black, or really really light gray??
Dark gray and navy blue, black sticks out too often since black isn't a natural occurring color. Maybe black in moonless nights.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

The problem is that people see comics as a "lesser" medium to film because it reaches less people and makes less money. But, in terms of art and storytelling comics are just as valid a medium as any other, and have advantages all their own.

But, Marvel and DC having a lot of success from Superhero movies, and now both being owned by movie companies (Disney and WB), now see their comics as an advertisement/prelude to the movies rather than their own product. This is a big problem for comic creators and readers.

I feel like this would be less of a problem if the Superhero genre didn't have a stranglehold on the medium in America. I like the classic Superhero characters, but I hate when it's treated as the only genre that matters in American comics. Combine that problem with the movie problem, and you get a comics industry that's subservient to the movie industry instead of being aloud to exist on it's own.

Yeah, it's a pickle.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Didn't they turn Nick Fury black into the comics after decades of him being white just because Samuel L. Jackson was cast in the role in the movies? Or did the black Fury get introduced in the comics before Samuel L. Jackson? Either way that's proof they've been doing this for years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Didn't they turn Nick Fury black into the comics after decades of him being white just because Samuel L. Jackson was cast in the role in the movies? Or did the black Fury get introduced in the comics before Samuel L. Jackson? Either way that's proof they've been doing this for years.
If I remember correctly, Nick Fury was always white beginning in the 1960s. They did kill him though; in 2012 his African-American son, NF Jr., was introduced and resembles Jackson.

A decade earlier, the Ultimate comics had a black Fury who was designed to resemble Jackson. In terms of animation, all Marvel products after X-Men Evolution I believe have this look for him.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
sdp
-

Nick Fury was created when they lost the rights to GI Joe and he was fairly awesome and even got a tv movie in the early 90s. When the ultimate universe started in the early 00's they introduced a new Nick Fury for the sake of being different just like many things in the ultimate universe and they drew him like Samuel L. Jackson because they thought that was neat.

When they decided to have Nick Fury in Iron Man they decided to go with Ultimate fury since he was already based on a real life actor. A whole generation of fans got to know Fury as Samuel L. Jackson so they decided to introduce the Ultimate version of Nick Fury into the main 616 Marvel continuity by killing Fury and having this be his son.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Gosh it's almost like...they're trying to do the two-fold cash in/strike while the iron is hot, while also being welcoming to new folks who've probably never read a comic book before.

HOW DARE THEY!
I mean, it's almost like they're a dying medium trying to resurrect itself with a new influx of fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Havelock Vetinari would suggest a dark green, as it's more effective at blending into shadows than straight up black.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nick Fury was created when they lost the rights to GI Joe and he was fairly awesome and even got a tv movie in the early 90s. When the ultimate universe started in the early 00's they introduced a new Nick Fury for the sake of being different just like many things in the ultimate universe and they drew him like Samuel L. Jackson because they thought that was neat.

When they decided to have Nick Fury in Iron Man they decided to go with Ultimate fury since he was already based on a real life actor. A whole generation of fans got to know Fury as Samuel L. Jackson so they decided to introduce the Ultimate version of Nick Fury into the main 616 Marvel continuity by killing Fury and having this be his son.

Not quite. Fury and his Howling Commandos have been around since WWII. They were introduced around the same time as Cap. America. But the rest is pretty accurate. Ultimate Fury was created around 2000 or so along with the rest of the Ultimate universe as an "alternate world" Fury. Both existed at the same time for nearly a decade. And he was designed to look like Jackson for one simple reason- Jackson was riding high on several action roles at the time and they were hoping that he would play Fury if any movies were made.(This was years before Iron-Man even came out.) Not sure about the whole death/son bit, as he WAS the UMU's Fury and apparently replaced the 616 one as part of the multiverse-merging storyline that also brought Miles Morales into the main 616 universe when Ultimate was canceled.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I mean, it's almost like they're a dying medium trying to resurrect itself with a new influx of fans.

I would't say "dying medium" but I do see your point
Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Yeah, "dying medium" isn't really accurate. Ever since graphic novels became the "in" thing to read, comics have actually been doing better than they have been for awhile, though they may be gradually moving from print to digital.

Sadly, it can probably still be called a "niche medium" though. At least, ever since Seduction of the Innocent had it's impact back in the '50s.

Anyway, I don't think bringing in new readers by alienating existing readers is that good a strategy. It may attract readers but it doesn't keep them. Though, I think all the constant "events" and "reboots" do more damage in that regard (and are more annoying) than trying to match the movies. Special events aren't special when they're always going on, and there's no sense trying to follow a continuity that resets every few months.

Thankfully, these problems are limited to the Superhero genre, but they aren't doing it any favors.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Not quite. Fury and his Howling Commandos have been around since WWII. They were introduced around the same time as Cap. America.
Might want to recheck your dates, Duckie. Fury and the Howling Commandos didn't debut in the comics until 1963. They didn't exist during Cap's creation in the Golden Age era. Not sure where sdp got the idea that Fury was created as a replacement for GI Joe.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote